Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thoughts/Experience with Handsome Cycles XOXO an X0-1 homage All-Rounder

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Thoughts/Experience with Handsome Cycles XOXO an X0-1 homage All-Rounder

Old 08-29-12, 04:38 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KDNYC
True, but xo-1s don't turn up that often
yeah i didn't mean an XO-1 as a base.. i meant using another mtb frame and setting it up like a roadbike. not exactly the same thing but much cheaper. what makes the xo-1 frame unique anyways? the fact it's got downtube shifter bosses?
Old 08-29-12, 04:45 PM
jollysnowman
my hubs are dirty

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic, Bridgestone RB-2 (sold!), Bridgestone MB-5, Schwinn Le Tour, Handsome XOXO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm building up one right now! She's a beauty. Give me another week or two and I'll provide a full report!

And about the price... $640 for new 631 and super comfy geometry seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Old 08-30-12, 06:43 AM
that_guy_zach

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jollysnowman
I'm building up one right now! She's a beauty. Give me another week or two and I'll provide a full report!

And about the price... $640 for new 631 and super comfy geometry seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Did you get the one that was at Ozone?
Old 08-30-12, 08:37 AM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
My thin wallet would choose a $500 Jamis Coda that I can lock up in the city without a panic attack.
Although they are of course substantially different from an XO-1/XOXO, I have a Coda and would second this recommendation for someone looking for a very versatile new steel bike on a tight budget.
Old 08-30-12, 04:31 PM
KDNYC

Bikes: Current: Wabi Classic, '91 Bridgestone Rb-1. Past: '92 Bridgestone RB-1, '02 Lemond Zurich, '91 Trek 520, '85 Schwinn Madison, '80s Panasonic conversion fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
yeah i didn't mean an XO-1 as a base.. i meant using another mtb frame and setting it up like a roadbike. not exactly the same thing but much cheaper. what makes the xo-1 frame unique anyways? the fact it's got downtube shifter bosses?
Nothing, really. It's kinda like asking: what makes an old *insert CV bike here* unique? It's desirable to the right person. Decent frame, C&V cachet, Bstone cult weirdness.

I already have a great RB-1, which I love, but the complete bike (pristine!) cost less than $600.

Last edited by KDNYC; 08-30-12 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-30-12, 04:41 PM
KDNYC

Bikes: Current: Wabi Classic, '91 Bridgestone Rb-1. Past: '92 Bridgestone RB-1, '02 Lemond Zurich, '91 Trek 520, '85 Schwinn Madison, '80s Panasonic conversion fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inkandsilver
Although they are of course substantially different from an XO-1/XOXO, I have a Coda and would second this recommendation for someone looking for a very versatile new steel bike on a tight budget.
Yup! The LBSs were all out of stock but I just scored a new 2011 for less online. It'll get the "grunge" treatment, stickahs, and pitlocks. Maybe avid brakes in place of the Tektros if I don't like them.
Old 08-30-12, 04:44 PM
KDNYC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jollysnowman

Would love to see it when it's done.
Old 08-30-12, 05:25 PM
gorillagirl

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-1, Chris Chance road, 1981 Trek 710, 1982 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Nothing, really. It's kinda like asking: what makes an old *insert CV bike here* unique? It's desirable to the right person. Decent frame, C&V cachet, Bstone cult weirdness.

I already have a great RB-1, which I love, but the complete bike (pristine!) cost less than $600.
What makes it unique is that it has 26" wheels with road bike tubing and road bike geometry. It has cantis, but is not overbuilt like a touring bike, and does not have slack angles like a touring bike or mtb. I think it actually is pretty unique. Until this homage to the xo-1, I don't think anyone has really offered anything like it.
Old 08-30-12, 09:22 PM
guzziee

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
With patience you can still find a real one instead. I just need some pedals and bar tape to finish refreshing this one.

Old 08-31-12, 12:38 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
EDIT: oops, major thread bump after a year, sorry.
Nothing to be sorry about. I always thought it's better to add to a thread than start a new one.
Old 08-31-12, 05:33 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Not a bad homage.

Old 08-31-12, 10:15 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'd be all over that Handsome XOXO if I wanted a fat-tire bike. Not enough trails around here to make it worthwhile however. I wouldn't want to lug 26" wheels and tires up all of the hills around here. If I lived somewhere with lots of dirt roads and unpaved trails, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
Old 08-31-12, 10:21 AM
Orrery

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1973 Mercian

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Speaking of XO-1's, is this anyone's? I see it parked in the Longwood Medical Area of Boston often. Looks to be the '92. Kind of amazing but awesome to see it being used for commuter duty.

IMAG0405 by orrery84, on Flickr
Old 08-31-12, 11:08 PM
KDNYC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guzziee
With patience you can still find a real one instead. I just need some pedals and bar tape to finish refreshing this one.

Beautiful! I love that color.
Old 09-01-12, 07:45 AM
jollysnowman
my hubs are dirty

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic, Bridgestone RB-2 (sold!), Bridgestone MB-5, Schwinn Le Tour, Handsome XOXO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by that_guy_zach
Did you get the one that was at Ozone?
Yes!!! They finished my wheelset a couple weeks ago. I'm waiting for my bottom bracket to come in and I'll be dropping by the shop later today to get some downtube shifters, but other than that, she's done and just needs to be cleaned and assembled.

Ozone is a great shop; the guys are always willing to chat and the music is fun.

Purists probably won't be too happy with my build It's a mix of used and spare parts - I'm just too excited to get her rolling to "do it right." The only brand new bits are the chainrings, chain, freewheel, and wheelset. IMO, these are only parts that really need to be new anyway (well I guess I could've gone with used hubs ).
Old 09-04-12, 12:44 PM
Whodat

Bikes: Bridgestone X0-1 (1992) PURPLE!!!!, Trek 3.1 (2011), Reid Ares, Bianchi Advantage, Hetchins Expecto Patronum (1960)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Orrery
Speaking of XO-1's, is this anyone's? I see it parked in the Longwood Medical Area of Boston often. Looks to be the '92. Kind of amazing but awesome to see it being used for commuter duty.

IMAG0405 by orrery84, on Flickr
It is in fact a '92. I'm trying to live up to the injunction that I saw as someone's signature line in another forum: "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you-it's a bike. Ride it!". It has subtracted a few minutes from, and added a great deal of fun to, my commute. In the month or so I've owned it I've put on about half as many miles as the preceding owner had in the previous 20 years.
Old 09-04-12, 12:53 PM
Whodat

Bikes: Bridgestone X0-1 (1992) PURPLE!!!!, Trek 3.1 (2011), Reid Ares, Bianchi Advantage, Hetchins Expecto Patronum (1960)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bad. This was supposed to be @guzziee: Very pretty!! What kind of shape was it in-- how much work did you have to put into it?

Last edited by Whodat; 09-04-12 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Cluelessness.
Old 09-04-12, 12:55 PM
Orrery

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1973 Mercian

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^That's awesome. Looks like a perfect commuter, and it is very nicely set up. Ride the bejeezus out of it!
Old 09-04-12, 01:34 PM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
True, but xo-1s don't turn up that often, and complete ones on ebay have gone for $1200. A Pumpkin in my size sold this month for $1200, and there's another one with a $1200 bin up. No, I don't see the point either, but if I had a thick wallet I'd buy the original and not the Handsome. My thin wallet would choose a $500 Jamis Coda that I can lock up in the city without a panic attack.
I think what they are doing here is cool, but this was my first thought. I've seen them go for 1000-1200. At this price point, why not wait it out and find an original for less $$$?
Old 09-05-12, 11:44 AM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mainstreetexile
I think what they are doing here is cool, but this was my first thought. I've seen them go for 1000-1200. At this price point, why not wait it out and find an original for less $$$?

originals in the right size may not come up more than once a year, but I see your point. you have to weigh the authenticity, condition and wait vs price, new and immediate. I've thought about both angles for a while but havent pulled the trigger either way.
Old 09-05-12, 01:38 PM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
originals in the right size may not come up more than once a year, but I see your point. you have to weigh the authenticity, condition and wait vs price, new and immediate. I've thought about both angles for a while but havent pulled the trigger either way.
True, makes sense. If you want one right away, it's nice to have a similar current production model available.

Another point for the original is that it is fully lugged, while this newer version is tig welded.

I've been a recent convert to 26" wheels with nicer tires on some vintage mtb conversions. I haven't ridden an XO-1, so I'm just curious, what makes it (or this newer clone) better than nice high end lugged vintage steel mountain bike frames? Is the geometry just a little more aggressive?
Old 09-05-12, 02:09 PM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mainstreetexile
.... so I'm just curious, what makes it (or this newer clone) better than nice high end lugged vintage steel mountain bike frames? Is the geometry just a little more aggressive?
Ditto. I realize lots of the old mtbs had a longish tt and high bb along with longer cs and wb but otherwise? I think high end vintage mtbs are the best deal going in bikes today, especially as a base to build on.

Brian

Last edited by calstar; 09-05-12 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-05-12, 06:06 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Far as I can tell its geometry , esp ht and st angles, 26in tires + mystique. I'm still intrigued, though less now that I tried mustache bars and found them meh.

Im pretty sure some 80's trek sport touring models have the same geo as the xo, but with 27in tires
Old 09-05-12, 06:19 PM
guzziee

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
if you can find a cheap Bridgestone CB0-zip, it shares the same geometry has 26" wheels just no lugs like the handsome
Old 09-05-12, 06:32 PM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by calstar
Ditto. I realize lots of the old mtbs had a longish tt and high bb along with longer cs and wb but otherwise? I think high end vintage mtbs are the best deal going in bikes today, especially as a base to build on.

Brian
Here's the geometry for the 1993 (orange) XO-1:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgest...3/pages/63.htm

Most larger (21-23") lugged vintage MTBs I've seen from the mid/late 80s use a 71deg (or 71.5) head tube and a 73 deg seat tube. The XO-1 uses a 73 head and 73 seat.

It just seems a little more aggressive with shorter chainstays, top tube, and a two degree steeper head tube. It doesn't seem like a huge variation other than a little more responsive steering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.