Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1982 Nishiki Cresta

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1982 Nishiki Cresta

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 02:40 PM
Saguaro

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
1982 Nishiki Cresta

Well, where to begin? I started this project 15 months ago in May 2011. At the time I realized I did not have a functional bicycle that I could ride with my kids in the neighborhood or go to the local market with. I did have a neglected 1982 Nishiki Cresta in my storage shed however. I determined that I would restore the bike to working order in time for my 50th birthday in June 2012.

I bought this bike new from the Tempe Bicycle shop in Arizona, back when the store was located on Mill Ave. I was 20 years old when I bought it. I don't know why I picked this one, I guess I liked the color, it had a rear rack, and it had good lines. I rode the heck out of it, using it as my daily commuter to and from the College of Architecture at Arizona State University. I loved this bike.

I also came to appreciate that it was a touring bike, and I joined a local bike touring club to learn about the sport, and ultimately completed a four day ride from Flagstaff to Phoenix Arizona in 1984.

When I started the project, I knew little about bicycle mechanics. But I dove right in and completely stripped the bike of all its components down to the frame and fork. Using the internet as my guide, I began to educate myself about the bike and what the possibilities were for it. This particular bike was a mid-level touring bike, nothing really special about the components. I wanted to maintain the spirit of a touring bike, but that view evolved during the project.

I decided I would replace any part with an upgraded component by the same manufacturer if possible. I would use Japanese components and parts wherever I could (although I ended up with a French saddle, a German bottom bracket, and American wheel hubs and rims).

I also wanted a bomber, state of the art drivetrain and wheelset. I replaced the original 27" wheels with 700c Velocity Dyad rims laced to Phil Wood Touring Hubs, 36 spokes up front and 40 spokes on the rear wheel. I replaced the 5-speed Suntour freewheel with a 7 speed NOS Suntour Winner Ultra, coldset the frame from 126mm to 130mm, and installed an SKF Heavy Duty Cartridge bottom bracket.

I replaced the original Sugino triple crankset with a new Sugino XD600 triple crankset for a better gear ratio (at 50 I need that 26 granny gear!).

I found a beautiful set of Specialized Touring pedals on eBay.

The real find, the one that set the tone for the bike early on, were the gorgeous NOS Suntour Superbe brakes I found on eBay.

The brake levers are NOS Suntour Superbe with Velo Orange mettalic braided cables. Nitto Noodle handlebar, Newbaums tape and Nitto Technomic stem.

I replaced the seat post with a NOS SR Laprade, and the saddle is a Gilles Berthoud Touring model.

I installed Honjo LePaon fenders and a Nitto Mark's Rack up front. I plan to add a Nitto R-14 to the rear with a Spanninga Pixeo fender mounted taillight.

So, what did I end up with? The only original parts are the frame and fork (original paint and decals), and the Suntour Cyclone MK-II front and rear deraillers. But to me the spirit of the original bike is still there. The ride quality is unbelievably smooth, firm and quiet. Its a joy to ride. And while I can certainly set the bike up for fully loaded touring, its current form is more like a rando bike or credit card tourer.

I've had a blast working on this bike, and for better or worse, I got the bug to do another project. Maybe a high end Nishiki roadbike......

Original Spec's
1982 Nishiki Cresta frame manufactured by Kawamura Cycles, Japan
Seat Tube: 57 cm CTC, Top Tube: 57 cm CTC
Champion No. 2 chrome moly steel butted tubes
Serial No. KB 108541
Freewheel: Suntour "Perfect" 5-speed: 14, 17, 21, 26, 32
Crankset: Sugino GT Triple
RD: Suntour Cyclone MKII GT
FD: Suntour Cyclone MKII
Brakes: Dia Compe N-500, 53mm reach, recessed mount
Brake levers: Dia Compe "Regular"
Seatpost: SR fluted, 26.6mm, L=82mm
Saddle: Avocet Touring II
Wheels: 27" alloy (don't know the original manuf., long gone)
Stem: SR
Handlebar: Champion
Pedals: KKT Pro Vic II

Last edited by Saguaro; 02-13-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-19-12, 03:00 PM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
That is gorgeous bike you've built up. Most likely many of us(myself included) here on C&V would love to find one like it to build up, most likely very similar to yours.

Brian
Old 08-19-12, 03:00 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Great Work! Looks fantastic and it should be set for another 30 years! Well done!
Old 08-19-12, 03:05 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
wow, what a wonderful build! I owned a Cresta for a short time, it was a little too big but the few times I rode it I was very impressed. I love the clean fender lines and the stunning photography as well.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 08-19-12, 03:39 PM
Saguaro

Thanks for the compliments! The fenders were a bear to install but they turned out nice.
Old 08-19-12, 03:44 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Great Job! I too desire a touring bike. Maybe one day.

I do believe that is the most uniform fender line I have ever seen.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 08-19-12, 09:18 PM
Saguaro

Thanks! Southpaw Boston (somervillebikes ?) who posts on this forum inspired me. They know clean fender lines!
Old 08-19-12, 10:45 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Wonderful bike! Congrats on a great job restoring/updating her, it's gorgeous...one of the nicer tourers showcased on here.
Old 08-20-12, 12:34 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
I love the build very well done maybe a bit over done in places but I just love it. The higher end Nishiki frames from the late 70's early 80's are way underated tubing and build wise they are on par with nearly any cro-mo frame every built.
Old 08-20-12, 01:42 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Wow, nice job... really nice job with those fenders.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 08-20-12, 08:31 AM
Saguaro

The quality of the frameset is what justified going "all in" on this build up. That, and the sentimental attachement I have for it. Here are a few more pictures.

IMG_4660 by Craig Stoffel, on Flickr

IMG_4632 by Craig Stoffel, on Flickr

IMG_4651 by Craig Stoffel, on Flickr
Old 08-21-12, 08:58 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,507 Times in 409 Posts
Most excellent! Like what you have done with the Cresta in all respects. Enjoy.
Old 08-21-12, 03:07 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Beautiful build! Just posted this in the Vintage Touring Thread below yours. Mine is an 85 and not in touring mode but more town bike mode.

Old 10-01-12, 03:30 AM
ClemY

Bikes: Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How do you like the SKF bottom bracket? I have used Shimano UN72 for years, but they seem to have long since dropped that in favor of cheaper versions.
Old 10-01-12, 09:17 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 185 Posts
very nice! well-executed build and very clean all over.

bit of trivia: did you know that Toyota made a luxury sedan called the Cresta? It was for sale in Japan only in the early 80's:
Old 10-01-12, 11:13 AM
amillhench
TXHC

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Beautiful Cresta! I had one once but sold it to get an '85 Trek 520. If mine had looked like yours currently does, I would have kept it!
Old 10-01-12, 01:45 PM
Saguaro

Originally Posted by ClemY

How do you like the SKF bottom bracket? I have used Shimano UN72 for years, but they seem to have long since dropped that in favor of cheaper versions.

I like the SKF bottom bracket so far. When I opened up the original cup and cone BB I found one of the cups was badly damaged. Removing the fixed side cup took a huge effort (had to improvise a Sheldon Brown tool, copious amounts of PB Blaster and a long breaker bar). I planned to replace it with a NOS Suntour Superbe but after the epic struggle to get the original BB off the bike, I decided to go with a cartridge unit. I figure the BB is one of the top three bearing sets on a bike (along with the front and rear hubs) and worth the investment. I wanted to install it and forget about it. The BB is also a component that can be upgraded to a modern part and not significantly change the look of a vintage bike.

I looked at the Phil Wood BB but ultimately went with the SKF because I appreciated the design effort that went into it and also it was available in the 113mm size to fit the Sugino crankset (not a knock on Phil Wood, they are also top tier bearings). I expect the SKF BB to last a long, long time.
Old 10-01-12, 02:53 PM
Saguaro

Originally Posted by Catnap
very nice! well-executed build and very clean all over.

bit of trivia: did you know that Toyota made a luxury sedan called the Cresta? It was for sale in Japan only in the early 80's:

Thanks, and love the trivia! I had never heard of a Toyota Cresta before. Another interesting fact: All the letters in the name C-R-E-S-T-A are also contained in my first and last name. Weird....
Old 10-01-12, 04:20 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
would love to see the price list on this one. i'd guess $1300. you guys are all too modest (or something) to share though. and that's cool too. me? i'm not at all embarrassed about the excessive cash i spend on a bike. anyway, beautiful nishiki.
Old 10-01-12, 05:10 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Beautiful bikes.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-10-13, 05:08 PM
Vintage_Nick

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great Bikes...

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Beautiful bikes.
I am in the middle of a restoration myself with a view to doing coast to coast (UK) in June.

Did thousands of miles on a steel bike when I grew up and loved it ever since.. only just changed to ALU/Carbon toy for riding solo but ALWAYS steel for enjoyable rides with wife and kids.

Fantastic quality re-build. Very little shown on the tinternet about these bikes.

Mine is the Cresta GT Touring Series. It has the additional lugs for downshifters, eyelets for panniers front and rear.
Old 03-10-13, 05:58 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
nice bump. the OP's bike is perfect. he killed it.
Old 03-10-13, 08:42 PM
poke em

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had an 82 Cresta as well, in a dark metallic charcoal gray. It was my first road bike. Unfortunately it was about 3 cm too small, so it eventually had to go. Beautiful bike, great job on the build.
Old 03-11-13, 10:49 AM
More Cowbell
Lanterne Rouge

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice build. I restored mine a couple of years ago. I need to get the proper decals on it though.

Likes For More Cowbell:
Old 03-11-13, 11:10 AM
Saguaro

Good to hear from you Cowbell! When I started this project I bookmarked websites that had interesting content, ideas for my build and many component options. That list of bookmarks grew to be over 200 sites. The post of your bike on Velospace was the very first one I bookmarked! I've always admired what you've done with your Cresta. It looks awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.