Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Fixie Gear Ratio Question

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Fixie Gear Ratio Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-21, 05:23 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Swapping out cogs on a single speed coaster brake hub is an easy way to change gearing . After removing the wheel , using a small flat screwdriver , you can carefully remove the cog retaining clip (ring) . I always hold my hand over the the clip to keep it from flying off .
I have a bag of different cogs and I’m constantly changing my gearing .
I hate indoor exercising.
Sometimes I’ll setup with a bike with a 30 tooth chainring and a 24 tooth cog just for outdoor spinning . It spins out around 7.5mph .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 07-17-21, 05:31 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
Swapping out cogs on a single speed coaster brake hub is an easy way to change gearing . After removing the wheel , using a small flat screwdriver , you can carefully remove the cog retaining clip (ring) . I always hold my hand over the the clip to keep it from flying off .
I have a bag of different cogs and I’m constantly changing my gearing .
I hate indoor exercising.
Sometimes I’ll setup with a bike with a 30 tooth chainring and a 24 tooth cog just for outdoor spinning . It spins out around 7.5mph .
Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, I think I'm going to try a few cogs out. For the Electra Cruiser 1, what brand/type/part # do I need? Are they just the standard Shimano single speed cogs? I can't find anything in the manual or by doing a web search.
Old 07-17-21, 07:07 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWasabi
Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, I think I'm going to try a few cogs out. For the Electra Cruiser 1, what brand/type/part # do I need? Are they just the standard Shimano single speed cogs? I can't find anything in the manual or by doing a web search.
I’ve found most modern SS coaster brake hubs cogs interchange.
I’ve used Shimano on my C1’s and on KT hubs . I’ve also used the 24 tooth Sturmey Archer cog made for their three speed . Just make sure you get the dished ones . I’m not sure if the flat ones will work .
I get mine off XBay and Amazon .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 12-10-23, 01:06 PM
ChopsBarbershop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I put a 16t on my Klunker that also has a coaster brake. Does anyone know if I should replace my coaster hub with a heavy duty changing the gear ratio that much? It came with a 22T originally and I've replaced the chain with a hefty chain but it feels like it's not very strong when I stand up to get going (it's a lot of pressure because of the ratio). It makes me nervous something will break and I'd rather prevent that. It hurts.
Old 12-14-23, 10:05 AM
Nipo
Sometimes on pedals

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have 48:18 on my single speed, but if I was collecting components today, I would rather choose something else, for example such as 51:19. Because of hunting gear ratio.