Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone commute with only a front rack and a porteur bag?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 01-10-22, 03:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts

I have always used a rear rack and a single large pannier. It has worked well and could continue to work well.
I havent commuted to work frequently, but it looks like I will ride to work a lot more this coming spring.

Stuff to carry would be a 13" laptop, lunch, and some shoes/clothes.

Rando bags are goofy expensive and almost every attachment system is created for the bag to stay on the bike, but I am looking to take the bag with me.
So comments from people who have used a porteur bag?...what did/do you use? Was it convenient or just a hassle in the end?

I can always continue with a single pannier.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-10-22, 06:12 PM
jimbaddabim

Bikes: 1995 Gary Fisher Cronus 1986 Ciocc 1984? Schwinn Fuji Track Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I had a big Wald basket on an old Schwinn (1962) cruiser. I could fit two bags of groceries in it, or one bag and a twelve pack of beer. The only time it got weird is where it was too heavy of a load. Wide bars help with this, but the load absolutely has to be secured on the front of the bike or you are asking for a wreck.

I'd do a Porteur rack with some good straps. You don't want weight to shift around on you on the front of the bike. Hope this helps.
Likes For jimbaddabim:
Old 01-10-22, 06:33 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
When traveling I use a front rack and ortlieb panniers. I like the weight distribution aspect of front panniers and in the future will consider a porteur bag. BTW, Ortlieb panniers have a handle latch that releases the bag from the rack and straps to help reduce the envelope size, love these bags.
Likes For N2deep:
Old 01-10-22, 06:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
When traveling I use a front rack and ortlieb panniers. I like the weight distribution aspect of front panniers and in the future will consider a porteur bag. BTW, Ortlieb panniers have a handle latch that releases the bag from the rack and straps to help reduce the envelope size, love these bags.
I'll second this. My core commuter setup is a city fix gear with fenders and LowRiders. Two small Ortleibs. For LowRiders, you want two panniers with roughly equal load or you will suffer considerable pull toward the loaded side. Those Ortleibs remove very fast and both carry nicely in one hand.

I would be concerned with road shock and a laptop. If I carried one, I'd put the laptop in a shock absorbing bag. Maybe a bubble pack sleeve slipped into the vertical pocket of the Ortleib.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-11-22, 08:12 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Yes wald 137 with a reload roll top bag. I run a single pannier in the winter for the extra clothes and crap. once weather breaks I ditch the pannier the basket is great and with a roll top bag you can way overload if needed.
Old 01-11-22, 10:07 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
If your overall load is light, shouldn't matter where the bags are located. My commuter mtb is a camel/donkey in that I have attachment points for bags everywhere (so to speak). During virtual teaching we still had to report to the building. I typically carried pants/shirt/laptop (in a bubble wrap sleeve) in one back pannier and lunch (all fits in a tamrac camera bag) on the other side. If cold, I included a Topeak trunk bag on top of the back rack (for cold gear if afternoon warm). No issues on load balance.

Likewise, when shifting the bags up front onto low rider racks, I had no steering/load issues. Axiom Storm Fronts, or Ortlieb Back Rollers for bags. While I will third the comments on the versatility of the Ortlieb's, I can't slot in the Topeak trunk bag if the Orts are on the back rack. If I'm carrying everything and the kitchen sink, the Orts are excellent up front with others in the rear. I do have one of those tiny randee racks up front. Attached (semi-permanently) to it is a modified novelty golf bag that contains a med kit and whatever knick knacks I need to immediately reach. If properly secured, the laptop shouldn't be any less safe front or back. Unless you have some kind of dampening suspension.
Old 01-12-22, 12:05 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
If your present pannier doesn't fit every thing, get a 2nd pannier for the other stuff. A porteur is good for utility stuff like baskets or backpacks when the rear racks are loaded, but you significantly increase drag, so a daily commute may not be optimal for speed. A slimmed down rear pannier might be better.
For my front attachments, I use a Klickfix attachment to the handlebar for the bikes which don't have mounting points in the front area. I'd stick with your present system.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have always used a rear rack and a single large pannier. It has worked well and could continue to work well.
I havent commuted to work frequently, but it looks like I will ride to work a lot more this coming spring.

Stuff to carry would be a 13" laptop, lunch, and some shoes/clothes.

Rando bags are goofy expensive and almost every attachment system is created for the bag to stay on the bike, but I am looking to take the bag with me.
So comments from people who have used a porteur bag?...what did/do you use? Was it convenient or just a hassle in the end?

I can always continue with a single pannier.
Old 01-12-22, 12:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Sardines
If your present pannier doesn't fit every thing, get a 2nd pannier for the other stuff. A porteur is good for utility stuff like baskets or backpacks when the rear racks are loaded, but you significantly increase drag, so a daily commute may not be optimal for speed. A slimmed down rear pannier might be better.
For my front attachments, I use a Klickfix attachment to the handlebar for the bikes which don't have mounting points in the front area. I'd stick with your present system.
My single pannier fits everything fine right now. Laptop, shoes, clothes, lunch.
Just looking at something different is really it.
Old 01-12-22, 01:04 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I don't see why not. People do all kinds of things. My present conops for commuting is that water and everything related to the bike (tools, tire stuff) goes on the bike and everything job related (incl lunch) goes in the backpack. My packing difficulty usually comes in the afternoon when I have to stuff in a coat or sweater that I needed in the morning.

But I've done it differently in the past and sure I'll change again someday. My bike has lots of barnacles and could do just about any configuration.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-12-22, 01:21 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Another Wald 137 basket biker here. Can put a backpack, a messenger bag, or a grocery bag in the basket.
Old 01-12-22, 01:45 PM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I don't see why not. People do all kinds of things. My present conops for commuting is that water and everything related to the bike (tools, tire stuff) goes on the bike and everything job related (incl lunch) goes in the backpack. My packing difficulty usually comes in the afternoon when I have to stuff in a coat or sweater that I needed in the morning.

But I've done it differently in the past and sure I'll change again someday. My bike has lots of barnacles and could do just about any configuration.
that end of day pile of clothes is a PITA. thats why is started using the pannier again. I think I might get some front ones because I really dont need all the space a rear offers.
Old 01-12-22, 02:57 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
My single pannier fits everything fine right now. Laptop, shoes, clothes, lunch.
Just looking at something different is really it.
I'd check out the KlickFix adapters and bags for the front. I used to use them and they unclipped easily and could take 15lbs. All my years of commuting, the front storage is only for short distances. I often use the top rack trunk bag with expandable sides for the commute and the padded laptop bag goes in the side and strapped in. I picked up a delivery food warmer on CL, for when I feel like riding 15 mins to my fave pizza joint for take out once a week or so, on the porteur. No need for cardboard boxes! Otherwise, the porteur isn't on my bike at all. Too clumsy and ugly.