Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you guys think of the Cat Eye Padrone?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-13-22, 08:20 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts

Im looking to get a computer head. My old one was a Cat Eye back in the day which I thought was great. I see the Cat Eye Padrone for sale Im wondering if its any good? Any other suggestions?
Old 01-14-22, 06:38 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 244 Posts
It's OK. I prefer wired models, personally, as they're more reliable (and you only need batteries in the head unit). The Padrone that I have is subject to interference, which renders the "max speed" function of limited use since on many rides (approx. 20%?) I see readings of 58 mph, 63 mph, etc. Also, the positioning of the magnet reading head/transmitter is more finicky than other cycle computer models I've used (e.g. Cat Eye Astrale). If you're frequently putting your bike on a rack to drive to the start of your ride, get used to checking that the computer is reading before you start your ride. I have the lower-end unit, and it is about 8-9 years old, however, so maybe the current, or more expensive, models are better in these respects.

Other than those somewhat minor gripes, it has been relatively reliable, battery life is good, it is readable, easy to set up and use. It's on our tandem, so I haven't tested it in the rain, sorry, I can't tell you how reliable it is in the wet. And, being wireless, you don't have to worry about routing wires, or about accidentally routing new cables over the wire thereby cutting it and making it necessary to buy a new docking unit/sensor sub-assembly (not that I would ever be guilty of such a thing ).
Likes For noimagination:
Old 01-14-22, 06:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
Mine rattled. At least one other forum member posted about the same problem.

But worse, it would sometimes randomly reset during rides. Got so sick of that that when the battery died I didn’t bother replacing it.

My touring/commuting bike is fitted with a CatEye Velo wireless computer. It performs great in all sorts of weather.

Last edited by indyfabz; 01-14-22 at 06:54 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-14-22, 07:41 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Dont know that model, but no matter, get at computer with digital transmission. Analog transmission is prone to noise pickup that can make the speedometer and odometer unreliable.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 01-14-22, 09:41 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Only issues I have had is my flashing light interfered with the signal and caused it to miss revolutions.
The second issue is when stopping at lights, the magnetic sensors in the street gave false readings of 65 mph so my distance and average speed is askew.
Both issues are now avoided and I have had no other issues and the accuracy checks out with ridewithgps mapping.
Old 01-14-22, 10:38 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I had a Cat Eye Strada Slim before getting my Garmin, never had any issues with it.
Likes For sw20:
Old 01-15-22, 05:28 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 422 Posts
Cat-Eye still makes good speedometers. I have a Velo 7 and a Velo 9, both wired, as I don't believe replacing a wire with two radios and two computers is a smart engineering decision, at least in this case. However, I am so vain that I just ordered a Cat-Eye Urban Wireless model for my old racing bike, now that it has a new paint job. Vanity, thy name is Fredo.
Old 01-15-22, 05:35 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
For anyone looking for something along the lines of an old-school cyclocomputer, but with wireless sensors, I would recommend the Bontrager RIDEtime Elite.

It works with ANT+ sensors (speed, cadence, heart rate), so you can buy what you want.
Old 01-15-22, 06:02 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
Is this a thread wormhole from the 1990s? I mean I do like the retro Cateye, but the wired vs wireless discussion is funny.
Likes For PeteHski: