Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New brand- a North American carbon frame built in Canada

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-22, 01:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts

https://bikerumor.com/first-look-bri...ade-in-canada/

Clearance for up to 38mm tires. Looks like a really nice all-rounder. I like the all the geometry- pretty traditional numbers and nothing wild(at least at the large end) and paired with a traditional chainstay design.
Threaded T47BB, traditional chainstay design, and traditional seatpost are all really nice to see.

A hefty $3950 USD for the frame and fork. That soft pink is great though.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-11-22, 03:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I saw that this morning too. Looks nice enough. Although I'd expect only selling framesets to be an issue for many. Though I've built bikes entirely from just a frameset, I'd rather just buy the entire bike already built.

Many just building from a frame wouldn't want to pay that much..... Or so I'd think. Certainly they probably know more about the market than I do.
Old 01-11-22, 04:57 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Clearly a boutique brand. Looks nice, but if I were paying that much I would want custom geometry.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-11-22, 07:31 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
one benefit of building in house is not having to deal with the Port of Los Angeles and being able to deliver in less than a yr

Old 01-12-22, 08:22 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I saw that this morning too. Looks nice enough. Although I'd expect only selling framesets to be an issue for many. Though I've built bikes entirely from just a frameset, I'd rather just buy the entire bike already built.

Many just building from a frame wouldn't want to pay that much..... Or so I'd think. Certainly they probably know more about the market than I do.
They’re selling complete bikes, according to their website.

I think the pricing is a bit steep given they seem to have no bona fides as bike makers, but maybe if you have the machines (mechanical and electronic) it’s not that hard; I read the one founder built CF boats, so probably there’s some crossover there.

I’d like to have heard from them something about how they make the frames, or perhaps their exhaustive testing process, or maybe a word on engineering challenges, goals and achievements, stuff like that which indicate to me these cats were deep into it. I’d feel better about the spend that way, but then, I know there are boatloads of folks who can drop USD $8k - $10k more easily and frequently than I can, so I’m not really their target market.

It does look like a sweet machine by the numbers, though, at least for my needs. I don’t need a gravel bike that’s basically a drop-bar MTB, so something like the Survey_r, a little steeper and sharper, is quite appealing. In fact, it’s only .3° slacker at the HT and ST than my much loved Kinesis Racelight 4S, and only 3mm longer in the stays, yet addresses the main shortcoming of that bike for gravel riding by providing clearance for 8mm more rubber. I’d assume it’s stiffer, too; I’d like a little more snap in the Racelight 4S as well.

It’ll be cool to see what Bridge actually deliver and to hear feedback. It strikes me that they’re after the 3T Exploro buyers with a more boutique option, and I think the “fast gravel” niche could use a little more attention, so I’m glad to see it.
Old 01-12-22, 09:33 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

+1. Less hassle and cheaper that way. But I think they're selling complete bikes as well. But for 5000$ CND, I'll pass. Out of my budget & needs for sure.
Old 01-12-22, 09:41 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A hefty $3950 USD for the frame and fork.
Good luck with that.

I can get a complete carbon bike for less than that.
Old 01-12-22, 10:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Good luck with that.

Well yeah, but they clearly arent positioning themselves as a cost leader. I dont think you are their intended market. To be clear, neither am I.

I started the thread because I think its neat that another brand is building in North America and because I like the frame design's look and spec choices.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-12-22, 01:18 PM
prj71

At those prices they won't be around long.
Old 01-12-22, 03:06 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
if I were paying that much I would want custom geometry.

EXACTLY!! For pete sakes, for that kind of cash for a frame, they will be a quick flash in the pan. I think makers that come out with a business plan of having a high end whatever and throw a double the price of a big name prebuilt bikes are a bunch of morons.

If they would come out with some reasonably priced units, then become highly established then go with these limited edition high end options is a much more sound businesses practice. I would honestly be impressed if they sold the first 100 frames they are selling right off. I would be shocked if they were selling any products after 2022. I just don't get it.

It doesn't matter if they have an engineer from all the big names they have don't mean squat to the average consumer. According to their website the carbon is a propriety composite? Well that is a huge game changer in the current carbon market

If a major magazine or website wouldn't have been paid to take up the story nobody would even know they exist......
Old 01-13-22, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Never underestimate what some people will shell out for something. I give you the $1,300 beer cooler (non-slip feet sold separately):

YETI Tundra 350 Hard Cooler
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-13-22, 09:18 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

It’s worth noting here that a custom geo, N. American made, carbon fiber frameset, the Parlee Z1, costs nearly USD$8k, or 2x the price of the off-the-peg Bridge, and Parlee has been in business +20 years.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-13-22, 12:50 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
It’s worth noting here that a custom geo, N. American made, carbon fiber frameset, the Parlee Z1, costs nearly USD$8k, or 2x the price of the off-the-peg Bridge, and Parlee has been in business +20 years.
And then there is Calfee. Their least expensive non-custom road frame/fork combo is $4,000. Most expensive is $6,850. $750 more for custom geometry. Calfee has been around for a while.

Single Bike Pricing – Calfee Design
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-15-22, 06:16 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Looks neat enough, but the only usp I see here is for the anti-asian production crowd. So be interesting to see if those guys are actually prepared to pay a hefty premium for NA manufacturing.
Old 01-15-22, 06:46 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Looks neat enough, but the only usp I see here is for the anti-asian production crowd. So be interesting to see if those guys are actually prepared to pay a hefty premium for NA manufacturing.
Allied hasn't folded yet, so maybe...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-15-22, 07:40 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Well yeah, but they clearly arent positioning themselves as a cost leader. I dont think you are their intended market. To be clear, neither am I.

I started the thread because I think its neat that another brand is building in North America and because I like the frame design's look and spec choices.
I often wonder why there aren't more North American builders. For that matter, I'm sort of surprised that with the engineering technology and production capabilities we have, why aren't there US designed and built components?

Good luck with that.

Oh yeah, I forgot. You can buy a bike made in China for a lot less, because they pay their workers next to nothing.
Old 01-16-22, 12:20 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I often wonder why there aren't more North American builders.
My god…but there are tons of “American” builders. (I put quotes on that because I’m not sure you’re aware that you changed the topic)

There have got to be well over 100 frame builders in USA alone, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the number were twice that. 4 builders in every state? I gotta think that’s a very reasonable average.

Getting back on topic and talking No. American builders, and I’d bet CA and MX can contribute 10s more.

I’d say that’s a lot.
Old 01-16-22, 01:02 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I think it is neat, granted I don't really go for crabons one of the founders has a proper beard and the other made crabon race boats and the bikes have good tire clearance and a threaded B.B. and are made in N.A. I don't see a whole lot of issue here. People love to moan and gripe about price but that is the same with anything. Things cost money and things made in countries with better labor laws tend to cost a bit more money and certainly stuff made in smaller batches also tends to cost more money. If you are buying a crabon bike you probably aren't some broke person out of high school, you probably have a small bit of money and if you are looking at a smaller builder and made in North 'Murica you probably have a bit more money.

I don't think these folks are trying to appeal to the dollar menu crowd they do seem to have a nice handbuilt product that is well spec'd and that is not a bad thing for those that want it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-16-22, 07:29 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
My god…but there are tons of “American” builders. (I put quotes on that because I’m not sure you’re aware that you changed the topic)
I did?
Old 01-16-22, 08:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I did?
Oh my fault; re-reading I see you did not. I read it thinking you dropped the “north,” but I was mistaken. Apologies.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-17-22, 09:36 AM
prj71

I often wonder why there aren't more North American builders. For that matter, I'm sort of surprised that with the engineering technology and production capabilities we have, why aren't there US designed and built components?
Because bikes would cost more then and the vast majority of the public (myself included) isn't going to want to pay higher prices. Thus we get bikes from the major manufactures with frames made in Tawain and China.

Oh yeah, I forgot. You can buy a bike made in China for a lot less, because they pay their workers next to nothing.
What they pay their workers is not my problem. I look out for me and my only concern is keeping more dollars in my pocket so I can retire early.

I'm betting about 90% of your own personal property is made in China. Including the phone or computer you are using to participate on this forum. We live in a global economy.

Last edited by prj71; 01-17-22 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-17-22, 10:44 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I'm betting about 90% of your own personal property is made in China. Including the phone or computer you are using to participate on this forum. We live in a global economy.

not to jack this thread but this is the core of our issues in America. We have sold our country to china and like countries to save a buck. Look where it got us now.

I am guilty of this just as most are unfortunately. I do wish it wasn't true though.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 01-17-22, 10:53 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
I would imagine the Chinese workers in the reputable factories like Giant are not complaining at all.

The history of most developed countries tends to show employment generally moving away from manufacturing and into more service based industries. At some future point the Chinese economy may well go the same way with everything being manufactured in Africa, LOL.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-17-22, 10:57 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
At those prices they won't be around long.
Clearly, the market is there. Specialized has a $6K frameset Aethos, Trek has framesets well over the price of this Bridge. Many custom frames are more than $4K.

I'm sure it's a small market in terms of total sales and these people are unknown, but the frame is beautiful and there are enough people who can spend that much, easily, if they see it and they like it.

Plenty of bikes well north of $10K out there. Rolls Royce had their biggest year ever in 2021, too.
Old 01-17-22, 01:06 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

The fact is that Taiwan invested in bicycle manufacturing at a time when the USA did not, and consequently have the advantage to set the market tone today.

It is what is, and if Americans don’t like it, they can act to change it. In some ways, we are doing that, but in other ways, bicycle manufacturing is not important enough to us to be worth fighting for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.