Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Garmin edge 1030

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Garmin edge 1030

Old 01-04-22, 08:51 AM
Touringdizzy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin edge 1030

Hi I hope theres some experts out there. Just bought the garmin edge 1030 for touring around coast, which I have done a lot already using Viewranger. Viewranger apps great but have to keep stopping entering code on phone to see if I've gone wrong.
All I want is clear mapping mostly cycling routes as I use a hybrid bike. I thought I could now have a GPS like in my car to save time.
Does anyone use this Garmin? If so, what do you think of it? Is it worth keeping.
Thanks Di
Old 01-04-22, 09:10 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I love my 1030, wouldn't ride without it. I really like the super size screen! Features are plenty good enough for my needs but everyone is different.
Old 01-04-22, 09:31 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
It's great for navigation. You can develop routes (courses in Garmin speak) on the Garmin Connect Website (create a free account), then use that or the route/course creation tool on the Garmin Connect Mobile App, get that for a smartphone as well. Pair the 1030 via Bluetooth to the phone app. Courses created on Connect can be downloaded to the 1030 for navigation and Turn By Turn directions. In general and unlike a car GPS, courses for bicycles generated and created by the device, suck. The device is normally not smart enough to develop a route appropriate for a bike and/or has you on roads you won't want to ride on, or detours you to out of the way bike paths. Most route creation is best done on line, on a tablet with WiFi, or on a tablet that has the mobile app. Another (and better) route creation tool is Ride With GPS, which is free, or small fee for the better paid version, does a great job of route creation and is easily able to get a route onto the 1030 using a Garmin iQ app for RWGPS. Kamoots is another good routing tool.
Old 01-04-22, 10:05 AM
Touringdizzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies. Steve I have synced phone with garmin but as yet not sorted any routes. I normally start where left off on coast for couple days vary about 50 or 60mls each day depending on flat or hilly. As yet not set up a route before because the viewranger shows all tracks and if its too inland I ride on roads. I'me cycling all uk coastline as and when I can.
Not sure yet if it will hold lots of data I have years of tracks done on viewranger.
I dont bother about heart rate stuff like that just speed, miles elevation and date completed.
Thanks di
Old 01-12-22, 08:36 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I use Ride with GPS to plan a route, then upload the route to my 1030. I believe you can also use Map my Ride. Works great as a navigation system.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-17-22, 07:55 AM
Touringdizzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I love my 1030, wouldn't ride without it. I really like the super size screen! Features are plenty good enough for my needs but everyone is different.
Hi Just wish someone show me how to use the damn thing. I thought it would be like the viewranger app. But how do you create a roite directly off the 1030? I would like to do that before I go on coast cycling. Looks like will have to return it. The viewranger shows all the cycling routes really plain so I can plan my way. But would have liked 1030 to tell me to turn if miss my turning? Thanks
Old 01-17-22, 09:10 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Touringdizzy
Hi Just wish someone show me how to use the damn thing. I thought it would be like the viewranger app. But how do you create a roite directly off the 1030? I would like to do that before I go on coast cycling. Looks like will have to return it. The viewranger shows all the cycling routes really plain so I can plan my way. But would have liked 1030 to tell me to turn if miss my turning? Thanks

see Mojo31's post in #5...might be a way for you to get your turn by turn in.

I wish I could come give you some pointers in person. Its a good machine...Not saying its the best but has been the gold standard for a while.
Old 01-17-22, 09:16 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
It's possible to create routes directly on the device using pinned routes, but the limited screen size makes it very difficult, I think you have to drop pins. If you have a tablet, either use a WiFi connection to the Garmin Connect website and create routes there - Training - Courses - Create New (don't enable Popularity Routing). Easier on the tablet (or laptop) to draw a new course/route. Once saved in Connect it'll show up ont he Connect Mobile app, you then tell it to download when it syncs with the 1030. Or create a RideWithGPS account and create routes there, you can then add a Garmin iQ app to the 1030, called RWGPS. It lets you see the recent routes you've created and download to navigate. The apps for the iQ app are added via the mobile app.
Old 01-17-22, 05:34 PM
Touringdizzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
It's possible to create routes directly on the device using pinned routes, but the limited screen size makes it very difficult, I think you have to drop pins. If you have a tablet, either use a WiFi connection to the Garmin Connect website and create routes there - Training - Courses - Create New (don't enable Popularity Routing). Easier on the tablet (or laptop) to draw a new course/route. Once saved in Connect it'll show up ont he Connect Mobile app, you then tell it to download when it syncs with the 1030. Or create a RideWithGPS account and create routes there, you can then add a Garmin iQ app to the 1030, called RWGPS. It lets you see the recent routes you've created and download to navigate. The apps for the iQ app are added via the mobile app.
Ive done 2 routes from garmin connect thank you very much. Looking forward to seeing how it works on the route? Thanks again for your help
Old 01-18-22, 07:22 AM
Touringdizzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive done 2 routes from garmin connect thank you very much. Looking forward to seeing how it works on the route? Thanks again for your help
Just followed local small route does say if off course but map doesnt follow where u are like a sat naf. u have to keep moving screen and it didnt automatically save what I've just completed? I did see a quick message but it dissapeared before I stopped. 🤔
Old 02-04-22, 03:27 AM
Touringdizzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re Garmin edge 1030

Hi To all who tried to help me using the above nrw GPS. I took it back to Halfords and the guy was really good.
But there was something wrong with it! He had it for 48hrs trying to charge battery etc it wouldn't do tracks correctly so he gave me my money back.
Back to viewranger which is now Outdooractive, I will use for both mtn walking and cycling.
Thanks everyone.