Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2022 Madison swap, it's on

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

2022 Madison swap, it's on

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 08:47 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
iab How was the attendance? And did you get a sense of how well bikes were selling in the corral? I really should have gone; recent life change has left me with bikes and parts that I SHOULD have brought to sell. Just didn't get it together in time.
Old 01-16-22, 06:31 AM
Maohaus

Bikes: Fuji, Colnago, Trek, Raleigh, Motobecane, Araya, Famolare, Elgin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 38 Posts
The Bike Swap was really well attended and quite a success from my point of view.

I had two Jeeps loaded to the brim with Park Tools, bike accessories tubes and tires and parts (as a result of buying out a small bike store last fall). I had reserved an $85 10x10 space and arrived at 6:45am, 15 minutes before the vendors were to start unloading. The loading dock was already abuzz with activity at 6:45 with vendors unloading and setting up their spaces and tables. We were ready to go before 8am and already sales were brisk between vendors. By the time the general public attendees were to be allowed in at 9am we had sold nearly a third to a half of what we brought. By the time the show ended we had sold three Park repair stands, two Park truing stands a table full of Park tools and all but a small handful of tubes/tires and accessories - The residual is being donated to Dream Bikes in Madison, who will greatly appreciate the smaller sized tubes and tires that remained. Except for the Park tools we had priced everything at a super bargain to move the volume of stuff and we were very satisfied with the final sales total - buying out the small shop to get the tool collection turned out to be a lot of work but paid off in the end.

I did not get to see much of the show as I was there to sell and not buy. But I will say that the swap appeared to be extremely well attended (we had continuous transactions from 7am until it closed at 1pm) and I saw a lot of bikes going out the door next to my booth. I think there was a lot of pent of demand after a year off.

I will definitely attend next year and will get a small table to sell whatever it is I have to sell at that time. But next year I will mostly be going as a buyer! Highly recommend this show.
Old 01-16-22, 07:09 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
iab How was the attendance? And did you get a sense of how well bikes were selling in the corral? I really should have gone; recent life change has left me with bikes and parts that I SHOULD have brought to sell. Just didn't get it together in time.
I thought it was good, and people were ready to buy. I probably sold 80% of the stuff I brought. Surprisingly, the $5 and $10 piles did better than the $2 pile. I don't know about the corral, but I suspect things that were not priced to sell, did not sell. I think this show was mostly people who have accumulated a ton of crap with no outlet and just wanted it gone and priced it as such.

Minimal C&V stuff, but there if you looked. I wasn't too interested in that, I wanted consumables like the cassette. The guy who sells FMB tubulars was not there this year, or he didn't have any (I don't remember what he looks like). But I did buy on a whim (because I had a pocket full of cash) a set of Campagnolo espresso cups.
Likes For iab:
Old 01-16-22, 07:51 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 191 Posts
I saw a GT Edge Titanium full bike in the corral, friend bought it for $450. The table across from me was wheeling a steady stream of bikes from the corral to their table, and I saw some nice ones. So yeah, plenty of deals in the corral.
Old 01-16-22, 08:00 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I thought it was good..... But I did buy on a whim (because I had a pocket full of cash) a set of Campagnolo espresso cups.
Just made illy cafe espresso this morning.

saw those cups on the Campagnolo website, fun but not reasonable at retail.
Old 01-16-22, 06:18 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
But I did buy on a whim (because I had a pocket full of cash) a set of Campagnolo espresso cups.
Pix! Sounds pretty cool.
Old 01-17-22, 12:30 PM
iab

Originally Posted by gugie
Pix! Sounds pretty cool.
Second pic is the collection in the office. Left to right. Campagnolo, climbs of Italy, Cinelli, Columbus, Lavazza.

Old 01-17-22, 12:37 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Second pic is the collection in the office. Left to right. Campagnolo, climbs of Italy, Cinelli, Columbus, Lavazza.
Nice collection, thanks for posting!
Old 01-18-22, 10:58 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Now, you need to source that 60's era Faema espresso machine.
I think Campagnolo has issued another set of espresso cups at one time. Smaller.
Old 01-18-22, 11:38 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Seen these?
Likes For BFisher:
Old 01-18-22, 03:53 PM
iab

Originally Posted by BFisher
Seen these?
I wish. Those look to be proper bone china.