Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Walmart vs Local Bike Shop Assemblers

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-18-22, 05:09 PM
DyingAndDying
RespectIsEverything

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I don't get why people put them down so much, pretty confusing actually. They're literally the same thing. Okay, if they aren't then what's some things that could be different, maybe somewhere is oiled for instance, where?
Old 01-18-22, 05:24 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Cue the photos of Walmart bikes on display in the store with the forks backwards
I have never seen this in a decent bike shop
Old 01-18-22, 05:27 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,979 Posts
Originally Posted by DyingAndDying
I don't get why people put them down so much, pretty confusing actually. They're literally the same thing. Okay, if they aren't then what's some things that could be different, maybe somewhere is oiled for instance, where?
I'm guessing you are not very technically minded, right?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-18-22, 05:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,902 Posts
b/c the eggs are more eggcellent at the lbs, & the lbs doesn't milk you for every little bit of OEM coverage.
Old 01-18-22, 05:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,380 Times in 2,731 Posts
[QUOTE=DyingAndDying;22378917]I don't get why people put them down so much, pretty confusing actually. They're literally the same thing. /QUOTE] I think the Walmart bike will suit you just fine and the assembly will be up to your standards. Don't be confused, go for it!
Old 01-18-22, 05:55 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Makes sense; why pay extra? Post pics of your new bike when you have a chance
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 01-18-22, 07:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4324 Post(s)
Liked 3,947 Times in 2,639 Posts
For those thinking this is a legitimate question and wanting an actual answer, those at big box stores are generally paid by the bike they are not skilled labor they are quick assemblers of the lowest quality stuff usually with not much training or nobody really caring if the bike is built correctly and the bike is NEVER checked before it leaves the store. There goal is to get as many bikes out of boxes and on the floor as possible so they can make the most money. In some cases they are also assembling other things like patio furniture or grills or other similar items. Even some of our sloppiest builders at the shop have done a better job then what you see at any big box store like Wally-mart. Plus the bikes are all checked out after building generally or at least before they leave the shop. We train our staff and pay them reasonably and we use the proper tools or at least know how to use them. Plus the bikes we are building are something of quality maybe not always high quality but way better than a $50-200 BSO plus if we do notice warranty issues we take care of them right away.

There is a reason that bike is so cheap and not because the bike shops are crooks but because they are low quality put together by low quality labor. Those who work at the big box stores might be fine people, but they aren't there to properly assemble and tune a bicycle they are there to get it on the floor quickly and make money. People generally don't work at Wally-Mart because they really want to usually it is because other jobs are crap in that area or that is all they can really get with their skills and education and it is not a good thing. If the minimum wage was a living wage and safety was stressed as super important and you aren't paid just by the bike but by the quality of your work, it may be different but right now it is not.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-18-22, 07:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
pretty confusing actually.
That’s all you.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-18-22, 08:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
OP...you're not mechanically inclined in the least, are you? How much experience do you think the average 'assembler' at Target has? The 4 mechanics (myself included) at the shop I work at have nearly 100 years combined experience. Honestly...and without thinking too hard...who do you think would do a better job of building a bike?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-18-22, 09:00 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,934 Times in 4,670 Posts
I can't believe that some of you seem to be taking this troll post seriously.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-18-22, 09:21 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-18-22, 09:29 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Cue the photos of Walmart bikes on display in the store with the forks backwards
The actual reason for "suspension forks" is as an orientation guide.
Old 01-18-22, 09:34 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 01-18-22, 09:51 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I can't believe that some of you seem to be taking this troll post seriously.
Why do you believe its a troll thing? Plenty of people aren't technically minded enough to believe there is an issue. "Dad brought home a bike and assembled it in the living room, surely someone at the local store with better tools who builds more can do the job just as well," isn't a hard thought for someone to put together. My grandfather used to tell me how he picked up bikes and slapped the pieces together to make new bikes and sell them so it should still be easy to do, he was telling me this about the single speed bikes he did it with and thought that a 10sp was still 2x5 gearing. Our world is filled with people who have generalized notions that don't meet reality.
I always found the number of people who told me "they don't build them like they used to" hilarious when you open a 100+ year old wall and find a stud made of 7 boards nailed together.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-18-22, 10:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,380 Times in 2,731 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Why do you believe its a troll thing? .
Maybe

because
Old 01-19-22, 09:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
I dont think any of the mechanics at the two LBS' I periodically frequent are moonlighting at Walmart building bikes.
Old 01-19-22, 10:32 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
From what I have heard, trained bike mechanics have a hard time at walmart because they don't want you to do a good job if it takes any more time. I think they are on piece wages too, so I'm not sure why they would care much about how long you take. I have assembled a walmart bike for a friend and it was not a good experience. It needed a lot more work than I was prepared to do. I didn't have a truing stand at the time, for example.

I have seen walmart suspension forks on backwards, so it doesn't really help. I think the cpsc should require the stems be on the right side, I really don't think it makes the boxes significantly smaller to be shipped with the fork backwards. Even if it did cost them a few pennies more in shipping, they have demonstrated they can't do it right.

My lbs is an outlier on how much they work over a new bike. It takes a couple of hours if everything goes right, which is not always the case. But customers don't get a bike with undiscovered problems. This is true even with $250 kids bikes. To compare with a walmart style assembly is a joke.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-19-22, 12:00 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The guys at Walmart have to use the tools they sell at Walmart
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-19-22, 01:47 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
For starters the people assembling the bikes have little in the way of tools, no knowledge of bikes and with a place like Wal-Mart the turnover is so high that they probably have been there a few months. Department stores used to have stock people assembling the bikes during the Christmas season and for a 3-speed childs bike it was OK. Otherwise it is like going to Autozone for a new starter motor and expecting them to install it.
Old 01-19-22, 02:10 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,934 Times in 4,670 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
From what I have heard, trained bike mechanics have a hard time at walmart because they don't want you to do a good job if it takes any more time. I think they are on piece wages too, so I'm not sure why they would care much about how long you take. I have assembled a walmart bike for a friend and it was not a good experience. It needed a lot more work than I was prepared to do. I didn't have a truing stand at the time, for example.

I have seen walmart suspension forks on backwards, so it doesn't really help. I think the cpsc should require the stems be on the right side, I really don't think it makes the boxes significantly smaller to be shipped with the fork backwards. Even if it did cost them a few pennies more in shipping, they have demonstrated they can't do it right.

My lbs is an outlier on how much they work over a new bike. It takes a couple of hours if everything goes right, which is not always the case. But customers don't get a bike with undiscovered problems. This is true even with $250 kids bikes. To compare with a walmart style assembly is a joke.
I recently had my shop order a set of wheels for my cheapie SS commuter bike…I’m sure they came from QBP, and the were not expensive. Before I picked them up, the shop’s best wheel builder checked them out for trueness and spoke tension…at no extra charge.

At Wal Mart, I suspect you’re lucky if they manage to put each wheel on the correct end of the bike.
Old 01-19-22, 04:29 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
I actually have some empathy for the Walmart bike assemblers. Even experienced mechanics with professional grade tools can find it challenging to dial in some of the components that come on those bikes.
Old 01-19-22, 04:32 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
From what I have heard, trained bike mechanics have a hard time at walmart because they don't want you to do a good job if it takes any more time. I think they are on piece wages too, so I'm not sure why they would care much about how long you take. .
Originally Posted by Calsun
For starters the people assembling the bikes have little in the way of tools, no knowledge of bikes and with a place like Wal-Mart the turnover is so high that they probably have been there a few months.
I worked retail when I was going through school. and it's not even that. Most big-box stores contract out their assembly (Bikes, lawnmowers, BBQ grills, etc) through outside contractors. Retail store management typically very metrics-driven, so the (hourly) store staff they have on hand on a particular day isn't going to have a bunch of free time to be knocking bikes or grills together, they're there to (ostensibly) assist customers, make sure product stays stocked, and whatever other tasks you need to do to keep the store running.

Assembly contractors generally come in on a certain day (usually mid-week, off-hours) to put together whatever items the store will need that week. They're paid piece-rate so the goal for them is to get everything put together, and get out as quickly as possible.
It's not like a Bike Shop, where you have actual mechanics, and a dedicated shop area; these guys bring in their own tools, and work wherever the product is staged up, then they pile up the trash and go home, generally while the store is closed.

Again, the way most bikes come shipped, there's not much to do besides put on the pedals and front wheel, and stick the stem on to the end of the steerer tube. (the cables are usually already run and connected) There's not much to go wrong, but there's neither space or time for anything more than the most basic function check, let alone a test ride, presuming they even know how to fix it.

Last edited by Ironfish653; 01-19-22 at 08:38 PM.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 01-19-22, 04:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4919 Post(s)
Liked 8,026 Times in 3,796 Posts
You have made it evident that you do not have enough knowledge about the issue to recognize the differences. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Old 01-24-22, 09:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
I prefer my hot dogs grilled rather than boiled. what was this thread about?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-24-22, 10:12 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I prefer my hot dogs grilled rather than boiled. what was this thread about?
Now this is a better winter discussion!

Grill the hot dogs and wrap them with Pretzel dough, bake and you have heaven on earth!

https://thefoodcharlatan.com/homemade-pretzel-dogs/
Likes For travbikeman:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.