Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek DS MTB tire question

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 02-17-17, 06:00 AM
dplevy81

Bikes: 12 Diamond Back Topanga custom build, 16 Niner Air 9 custom build, Slightly modded 16 Polygon Helios F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After a season of riding my 2016 DS 8.4 on and off road, I scored a deal of a life time on a slick flat bar road bike. The plan is to keep the DS and make it more off road specific. The frame geometry is perfect for the light trail and toe path riding that I do with it. Before the haters tell me I should get an actual MTB, I'm not going to be jumping it, going down technical trails, or racing it in any way.

I'm trying to figure out what is the biggest tire I can fit. Will be running a Bontrager rear rack and a front fender of some sort. I've done some homework and from what I gather the issue is with the back tire hitting the FD bracket. I'm told that a Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 is my best option, but would prefer something from the Continental lineup if possible. Priorities are light as possible while still having flat protection. Rolling resistance doesn't matter because it will be used primarily on gravel and dirt.

If anyone running MTB tires on their DS could post some pics and specs of what you are currently running so I could explore my options it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-17, 09:19 AM
FM1178

Bikes: Specialized Roll & Trek Fuel Ex 8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You are going to get multiple answers to this question. People will say everything from buy some tires and try it out yourself to "I fit 29 x2.4s on mine." I believe the Trek website days you can comfortably fit 29x1.8 on a DS. I'm also confident multiple board members have said they fit 29x2.0s on their DS.
Old 02-17-17, 09:20 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to measure. Even among the same model, there may be slight differences in clearance among years and among frame sizes.

You can get a plastic caliper for cheap from Harbor Freight.

Measure your tire, then measure how much extra space you have.

As for Continental MTB tires, the X-King is their all-rounder MTB tire (decent on most surfaces), the Mountain King is a little knobbier, and the Race King is a little less knobby. They all come in 2.0", 2.2", and 2.4" widths.
Old 02-17-17, 09:43 AM
dplevy81

Bikes: 12 Diamond Back Topanga custom build, 16 Niner Air 9 custom build, Slightly modded 16 Polygon Helios F5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a caliper, that's not going to help. The width of a tire when mounted and inflated is going to be different than what the manufacturers specifies as the "width" depending on what wheel it is mounted on. Trek says 29x1.8 as a safe rule of thumb, but I know for fact you can definitely go much wider than that. Every brand is going to be different, that's why I want to see exactly what other people are running. Trying to eliminate the hassle of return shipping and running back and forth from the LBS with tires that don't fit.
Old 02-17-17, 06:26 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by dplevy81
After a season of riding my 2016 DS 8.4 on and off road, I scored a deal of a life time on a slick flat bar road bike. The plan is to keep the DS and make it more off road specific. The frame geometry is perfect for the light trail and toe path riding that I do with it. Before the haters tell me I should get an actual MTB, I'm not going to be jumping it, going down technical trails, or racing it in any way.

I'm trying to figure out what is the biggest tire I can fit. Will be running a Bontrager rear rack and a front fender of some sort. I've done some homework and from what I gather the issue is with the back tire hitting the FD bracket. I'm told that a Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 is my best option, but would prefer something from the Continental lineup if possible. Priorities are light as possible while still having flat protection. Rolling resistance doesn't matter because it will be used primarily on gravel and dirt.

If anyone running MTB tires on their DS could post some pics and specs of what you are currently running so I could explore my options it would be greatly appreciated.
Check out post 1240 of the following: https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...thread-42.html

I'm certain there are other postings on the DS owners thread that have pictures of larger tires. But this 1240 shows a picture of what I think is about as big of a tire you can put on.
Old 02-17-17, 06:33 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Thought I had seen others talk about bigger tires on their DS:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...thread-34.html post 1018

And:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...thread-36.html post 1072

Last edited by travbikeman; 02-17-17 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 09:50 AM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
I run the WTB Nano 2.1 on the front and WTB Nine Line 2.0 on the rear in my DS3
Old 02-20-17, 05:46 AM
dplevy81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ceelint
I run the WTB Nano 2.1 on the front and WTB Nine Line 2.0 on the rear in my DS3
any reason for the stagger? How do you like those tires? They seem reasonably priced which i like.
Old 02-22-17, 11:21 AM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
The reason I run staggered is because I can't fit a larger tire in the rear.. the Trek mountain bikes come with a 2.0rear and 2.2 front... probably for better traction up front and reducing rolling resistance in the rear
Old 02-23-17, 06:01 AM
dplevy81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after much research, I'm heading over to my LBS to pick up a pair of Maxxis Ignitor 2.1s. The question now is do i need new tubes, or will the ones that came with my bike fit these?
Old 02-23-17, 07:02 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
My dad has a 2015 8.4 DS and runs the WTB Nano 2.1 tires on front and rear. He keeps about 50 psi in the rear so it clears the chain stays. Any more air pressure, and he gets rubbing.

I'd probably be more comfortable with a 29x1.8 myself, or a 700x45.
Old 02-23-17, 08:04 AM
dplevy81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
My dad has a 2015 8.4 DS and runs the WTB Nano 2.1 tires on front and rear. He keeps about 50 psi in the rear so it clears the chain stays. Any more air pressure, and he gets rubbing.

I'd probably be more comfortable with a 29x1.8 myself, or a 700x45.

I was worried about this too, until i found this video on youtube:

Not sure what PSI he's running, but it looks like theres tons of room in there. From what I'm told, the Maxxis Igniter is an extremely narrow 2.1. They actually have lots of negative reviews from people measuring 1.8-1.9 that are angry as hell.
Old 02-23-17, 08:27 AM
hokiefyd 

That's a good-looking rig, and tire clearance is good. The tire does look a little undersized for being a 2.1.

Regarding tubes, I would probably pull a tire off before you go, and see if there's a maximum size printed on your current tubes. Your original tires were 38mm, right? They probably measured closer to 35 or 36 mm. The tubes might be for 32-40 mm tires (for example), and your new ones will be 48-50mm.

If I had to guess, I'd say you'll probably need larger tubes. But your current tubes should give you a tire size range.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 02-23-17 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-23-17, 08:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Got any photos of the trails you'll be riding? I haven't found 2" tires or MTB type tires necessary for gravel roads, utility paths and moderate off-road riding on my hybrid or rigid fork mountain bike. I know some folks who run mountain bike tires on their hard tails, with and without suspension forks. On group rides on pavement they're slower, especially on hills, and you can hear the tires wasting energy. For most of the unpaved trails and paths they ride they don't really need those heavily treaded tires.

Look at what most serious gravel bike and cyclocross riders use. Few are riding tires with heavy knobbies unless conditions are unusually muddy and sloppy. (But I wouldn't feel comfortable on the narrow tires and slicks some of them prefer.)

I use Michelin Protek Cross Max 700x40 (nominal, closer to 45 wide; weight 1,110 gr each) on a hybrid with spring suspension fork. These have thick chevron pattern tread that grip well on moderate unpaved stuff. Bulletproof so far not a single puncture flat despite riding over lots of broken glass, construction debris, goat head grass burrs, etc. The rubber tread is slashed in a few places but nothing penetrated the heavy 5mm Aramide (similar to Kevlar fabric) puncture shield. The Protek Cross (minus the Max) weigh less and have a thinner puncture shield, but the same thick chevron tread pattern.

And Continental Speed Ride 700x42 (nominal, actually closer to 38 wide) on a '92 Univega mountain bike. These are a wider version of Conti's Cyclocross Speed tires for dry conditions, with diamond file main tread and side knobbies. Thin puncture shield, the tires weigh less than 500 gr. I really like these tires but I've had half a dozen flats since November, mostly grass burrs and tiny shards of glass. I started using Slime in the tubes to slow down leaks long enough to get home and patch 'em.

Both are very smooth rolling on pavement too. I usually run 'em around 50 psi for comfort and traction. Above 60 psi the ride feels harsh with no measurable improvement in speed.

Between the two the rigid fork mountain bike with Contis is more lively and quicker. I average 14 mph over 10-60 mile rides, including gravel.

But the hybrid with Michelins feels more secure on loose sand and pea gravel mix, diagonal ruts, badly rutted dried utility roads and bombed out pavement. It's a heavier bike. I average about 12 mph over rides of 10-60 miles.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-23-17 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-23-17, 08:34 AM
hokiefyd 

canklecat, I can personally vouch for the Continental Speed Ride tires also. I really like diamond-file type tread patterns (I run Michelin Country Rocks on my 1990s 26" full rigid bike), and the Speed Ride tires have some mild lugs on the side also. I'm using them in 700x42 size on my Verve 3, and they inflate to about 38-39mm as you also found. They're very light, supple, and roll fast. I'm not prone to flatting, and haven't had any flats, but I've been riding them only since the fall.

Great value, too, at about 25 bux each.
Old 02-23-17, 08:38 AM
dplevy81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that I have a road bike I'm making my DS more capable off road. It's pavement use will be extremely limited now. I'll be using it for all sorts of terrain. At the end of the day it's still a trek DS and not a legit MTB so I went with something more on the mild side. The Igniter is a light (540ish g) folding bead MTB tire. People use them for single track racing.

Originally Posted by canklecat
Got any photos of the trails you'll be riding? I haven't found 2" tires or MTB type tires necessary for gravel roads, utility paths and moderate off-road riding on my hybrid or rigid fork mountain bike. I know some folks who run mountain bike tires on their hard tails, with and without suspension forks. On group rides on pavement they're slower, especially on hills, and you can hear the tires wasting energy. For most of the unpaved trails and paths they ride they don't really need those heavily treaded tires.

Look at what most serious gravel bike and cyclocross riders use. Few are riding tires with heavy knobbies unless conditions are unusually muddy and sloppy. (But I wouldn't feel comfortable on the narrow tires and slicks some of them prefer.)

I use Michelin Protek Cross Max 700x40 (nominal, closer to 45 wide; weight 1,110 gr each) on a hybrid with spring suspension fork. These have thick chevron pattern tread that grip well on moderate unpaved stuff. Bulletproof so far not a single puncture flat despite riding over lots of broken glass, construction debris, goat head grass burrs, etc. The rubber tread is slashed in a few places but nothing penetrated the heavy 5mm Aramide (similar to Kevlar fabric) puncture shield. The Protek Cross (minus the Max) weigh less and have a thinner puncture shield, but the same thick chevron tread pattern.

And Continental Speed Ride 700x42 (nominal, actually closer to 38 wide) on a '92 Univega mountain bike. These are a wider version of Conti's Cyclocross Speed tires for dry conditions, with diamond file main tread and side knobbies. Thin puncture shield, the tires weigh less than 500 gr. I really like these tires but I've had half a dozen flats since November, mostly grass burrs and tiny shards of glass. I started using Slime in the tubes to slow down leaks long enough to get home and patch 'em.

Both are very smooth rolling on pavement too. I usually run 'em around 50 psi for comfort and traction. Above 60 psi the ride feels harsh with no measurable improvement in speed.

Between the two the rigid fork mountain bike with Contis is more lively and quicker. I average 14 mph over 10-60 mile rides, including gravel.

But the hybrid with Michelins feels more secure on loose sand and pea gravel mix, diagonal ruts, badly rutted dried utility roads and bombed out pavement. It's a heavier bike. I average about 12 mph over rides of 10-60 miles.
Old 02-24-17, 06:59 AM
dplevy81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last night I picked up the 29x2.1 Maxxis Ignitors from my LBS. Other than it being a ***** to mount on my skinny ass stock wheels, things worked out perfectly. I inflated to 55psi (of 63max) and they're a little close to the chainstays all the way to the front, but theres a few MM clearance on both sides so it looks like its a go. They also lifted the overall height of the bike a good inch or so which I like. I'm happy I went with the 17.5" and not the 19" model! I'll post a couple pics tonight after work when i get it out in the sun. I always thought the DS line looked kind of wimpy with those tiny skinny tires on a MTB frame and fork. Now it looks like a beast from hell that will kill your whole family!
Old 04-13-17, 08:25 PM
Deathsquad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have any pics of your bike with the tires mounted? I have a 2016 D'S 8.3 and in need of new tread for it.
Last night I picked up the 29x2.1 Maxxis Ignitors from my LBS. Other than it being a ***** to mount on my skinny ass stock wheels, things worked out perfectly. I inflated to 55psi (of 63max) and they're a little close to the chainstays all the way to the front, but theres a few MM clearance on both sides so it looks like its a go. They also lifted the overall height of the bike a good inch or so which I like. I'm happy I went with the 17.5" and not the 19" model! I'll post a couple pics tonight after work when i get it out in the sun. I always thought the DS line looked kind of wimpy with those tiny skinny tires on a MTB frame and fork. Now it looks like a beast from hell that will kill your whole family!
Old 04-14-17, 10:32 AM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was worried about this too, until i found this video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfn3qI6Jgk

Not sure what PSI he's running, but it looks like theres tons of room in there. From what I'm told, the Maxxis Igniter is an extremely narrow 2.1. They actually have lots of negative reviews from people measuring 1.8-1.9 that are angry as hell.
I would not say "tons of room". The front tire certainly does, but then the owner upgraded the front shock from the stock Suntour NEX touring fork to a RockShock MTB fork, so that's a given since that upgraded shock would be designed to fit 2.3" tires with lots of clearance. The back tire on the other hand just barely fits between the stays with what looks like only 1 or 2 mm clearance. If he goes offroading in wet mud and grit with that, he's going to risk serious damage and potentially wearing through the frame. I would suspect the stock NEX or NCX fork would have the same issues with such a wide tire.

Cheers
TRJB
Old 01-08-22, 09:57 AM
roguex

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought myself a new 2022 dual sport 3 in matte black! Expecting delivery in about 2-3 weeks. Was wondering what's a good set of fenders/mud guards that can accommodate 45c-50c tyres? I'm looking at replacing the stock 40c tyres that it comes with with something like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x47c. I looked at the bontrager ncs fenders but I don't really like the look of them, glossy and the spokes look to "busy". Preferably something sleek in matte black to match the bike. Also is the Bontrager BackRack Deluxe MIK worth it or should I look at other rear racks?
Thanks
Old 01-12-22, 10:55 PM
armantrek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
29''x2.1" Tire for Trek DS 1

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Trek Dual Sport 1 2021 and wondering if anyone has tried fitting 29"x2.1" MTB tires on it.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-22, 06:51 PM
Msgtbk

Bikes: 2019 DS3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m thinking about 27.5 x 2.2 wheels and tires on my 2019 DS3. I believe the TREK specs state the 29x 2.1 will work check your owners manual