Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Winter Riding Apperal

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-21, 02:29 PM
jolly_codger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Winter Riding Apperal

Hi, this winter I want to continue riding outdoors at least once a week and would appreciate tips on where to find a decent cycling jacket in a 4x. Seems like most companies only go to 3x maximum, some I found only go to 2x. I have an old Bike Nashbar jacket from when they offered a house brand, but it isn't going to last forever and I need to figure out something. If anyone has suggestions on alternatives I would be grateful if you pass them along. Winter temperatures here might dip down to the teens, but typical is in the 25-32 range. Thanks for taking a moment to read this!
John
Old 11-12-21, 03:17 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
I have a really warm wind stopper Exteondo brand winter jacket that is really warm. There is a new Exteondo Thermolite Windstopper cycling jacket on ebay for 74.99 or best offer but it is a 3XLsize. You could always look up their size chart since different makers have different fits.

Edit: I just looked it up and their 3X is listed as being for 46-48" chest size.
Old 11-13-21, 02:39 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Search around and buy good quality kit for winter. Can’t help too much but remember that the tech materials to aid breathability but still stop wind and rain are also used in the running, hiking/trekking and hunting arenas. You might find something from those that fits
Old 11-21-21, 09:09 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I am not sure what type of riding you do or if you are looking for cycling specific gear, but my suggestion would be to just layer what you have.
Likes For exile:
Old 12-01-21, 01:37 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
You can try Aerotech Designs. They have an extended size range that might work for you.

Aerotech Designs Large Jackets
Old 12-06-21, 08:33 PM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Aero Tech Designs for sure. Great company and great products with a lot of choices in the 3, 4, 5 XL sizes. I have this jacket and it really is almost too warm. I don’t usually ride when it gets into the 30’s but if i do, this jacket keeps me warm. You have to layer though, otherwise you will sweat!
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/3m-r...ty-jacket.html
Old 12-07-21, 06:38 AM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Inexpensive ski gear, layers, and regulate warmth with zippers. Similar environments.
Old 01-13-22, 02:41 PM
love2pedal.com

Bikes: Colnago C50

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Aerotech Designs is a good choice. As a seller of cycling apparel for big guys for the last 20 years, the offerings will be few and far between for a few reasons.

1) Manufacturers perceive the market for big sizes (3X and above) as too small to mess with, even though if you go to non-competitive, fun events like charity rides or rides like RAGBRAI or even on your local bike path there are plenty of big guys riding bikes.

2) The return rate for sizes 3x, 4x and 5x is more than double the return rate of smaller sizes-and returns are profit killers. This is for a variety of reasons three of which are:

a) A lot of big riders are newbies and aren't familiar with how cycling apparel should fit.
b) No standardization of sizing between manufacturers.
c) There is a greater degree of variation in shape and proportion among a group of 6' tall 350 lb guys than there is among a group 6' tall 190 lb guys which makes sizing correctly even harder.

Dan
love2pedal.com
Likes For love2pedal.com:
Old 01-25-22, 07:17 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Check out Przewalski, they are on Amazon. For the money, I think they are hard to beat...
Old 04-06-22, 05:59 PM
meggerthree
Vintage KC

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount x3 (thanks jim) Albert Eisentraut, Colnago Master Piu(must sell), Cannondale x3 one is a tandem, Alanex, Volae Club, Azub Ti-Fly 26, Schwinn Madison Track bike, Schwinn Sprint(must sell) '61 Raleigh Gran Sport(must sell) Giant mtb,

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Aerotek Tall and big sizes.