Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon bikes on trunk racks... a myth?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-07-22, 07:48 AM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I really want to be able to transport my bike on my car. Won't fit. And I don't want to get a new car just to be able to transport my bike (inside it or with a hitch).

Ive always been told you should not put a carbon frame on a trunk rack... but is that really true?

I haven't been able to find a hard recommendation against it from bike manufactures. Trek says they recommend against it.

Thoughts? Experience with this?
Old 01-07-22, 08:02 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
What kind of car do you have? What type of bike? Experienced members may be able to offer some suggestions for transporting your bike inside the car. I have transported 2 road bikes and a week's worth of luggage for 2 people inside a 2003 Volkswagen Passat
Old 01-07-22, 08:26 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
What's the myth? The only caution that I've heard of is that you should be aware of your wheel/tire placement with regard to the exhaust, particularly with carbon rims.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-07-22, 08:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 3,298 Posts
Scaremongers have said many things over the last 25 plus years about carbon bikes. I've found none of it true for bikes made today. Perhaps some early carbon bikes did have some issues, but then again so did steel, aluminum and titanium.

Just use some common sense for things that might rub or bump it. Just like steel and other bike, you don't want that finish marred. Don't be imagining it's going to mysteriously morph in to something broken that you can't ride.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-07-22 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-07-22, 08:50 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I carried my specialized roubaix on my trunk rack countless times without any problems. It was a Hyundai Sonata and the rack was a Yakima something Joe 2 bike rack. It had straps for the top tube and a sway strap for the seat tube that kept it cradled nicely in the cups. Never had an issue.

You’d probably want to make sure you don’t scrape your paint because of any grit or whatnot when you tighten the straps down - and maybe it’s be a little harder for a snug fit in the cradles of the rack because of the shape of frames these days, but that’s all I can think of.
Old 01-07-22, 08:56 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9647 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
The argument against is basically the same argument against clamping a carbon top tube in a workstand clamp.

Why not install a hitch on your car or get a roof rack?
Old 01-07-22, 09:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What's the myth? The only caution that I've heard of is that you should be aware of your wheel/tire placement with regard to the exhaust, particularly with carbon rims.
+1 I understood this was primary concern with carbon on a trunk rack, leading to potential high heat exhaust exposure. IOW, if your setup doesn't put your bike near your exhaust, there shouldn't be a concern.
Old 01-07-22, 10:23 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
I understand it's the concern of clamping a top tube, but a lot of common sense applies. My rack (haven't used it in decades, I should sell, Grabber maybe ?) uses a rubber foot and rubber straps. I'm pretty certain that would not damage the top tube and I would have no qualms using this rack with my carbon bike. Other racks is a case by case and dependent as to how it clamps.
Old 01-07-22, 11:58 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
not a problem
Old 01-07-22, 01:14 PM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks to all for the reply.
- Is an Audi A5.
- Trek Domane SLR and specializes sirrus carbon frame.
- Inside the car would only fit one and not the Domane without taking off the handlebars
- Installing a hitch would be tough based on how the car is designed. The add on hitches you see are installed poorly and end up damaging some part (also, they get almost always rusted in the midwest).
- Roof rack is maybe a more feasible option. I think the trunk rack is more convenient, so that's why I asked.
Old 01-07-22, 02:05 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I understand it's the concern of clamping a top tube, but a lot of common sense applies. My rack (haven't used it in decades, I should sell, Grabber maybe ?) uses a rubber foot and rubber straps. I'm pretty certain that would not damage the top tube and I would have no qualms using this rack with my carbon bike. Other racks is a case by case and dependent as to how it clamps.
The issue is that while carbon fiber tubing is strong and stiff, it is not very resistant to impacts along the side of the tube. Thus, while you can be careful clamping the tube, if the bike is bounced on the mount the impact to the side of the top tube can damage it.

Take an Emonda SLR frame, for example. The top tube has sections that are very thin and you can compress the sides to some degree just with your hands in some places. They are still very strong, stiff, and sufficient for the stresses the bike has while riding. I'd be leery of hanging it by the top tube while driving due to the constant bouncing and impact between the top tube and the rack contact points.

Personally, I'd go for a roof rack using Audi's legs and cross bars: Audi A5 Sportback Base Carrier Bars - 8W8071126 | Audi Dominion, San Antonio TX

For a hitch, these are pretty nice and not really visible from the rear of the car: Audi A5 & S5 Hitch | The Hitch Made to be Hidden | Stealth Hitches. There is very little trimming of the bumper cover required, and it is in a location that is not visible unless you get under the car (A5).

Trunk mount racks also run the risk of damaging the paint on the car where the rack contacts the paint, and the risk of the bikes scratching the paint.

My 2 cents.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-07-22, 02:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Mojo31
. I'd be leery of hanging it by the top tube while driving due to the constant bouncing and impact between the top tube and the rack contact points.

My 2 cents.
And bottom line is these are multiple thousand dollar bikes. Why take a chance for damage clamping and hanging. Roof rack is best option. I use a Yakima Front Loader mount that grabs the front wheel. It's a very nice design.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-07-22, 02:49 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3247 Post(s)
Liked 2,074 Times in 974 Posts
If you don’t already have crossbars, I’d highly recommend a seasucker rack
Old 01-07-22, 03:38 PM
WhyFi

Why take a chance for damage clamping and hanging. Roof rack is best option.
Tell that to the people that have driven into their garage with a roof-mounted bike.

There isn't a perfect, risk-free option - it's up to the individual to assess the best option for their situation.
Old 01-07-22, 03:42 PM
Mojo31
-------

Tell that to the people that have driven into their garage with a roof-mounted bike.

There isn't a perfect, risk-free option - it's up to the individual to assess the best option for their situation.
Yep, I came about 2" away from smashing our bikes into a steel pole once while backing up with them on a hitch rack.
Old 01-07-22, 04:03 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
With a roof rack you need some kind of system..............that tells you there are bikes on top of your car. With all of the electronics and sensors installed on modern cars, there should be something you can use via app or car's central system.
Old 01-07-22, 04:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,256 Times in 2,935 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
With a roof rack you need some kind of system..............that tells you there are bikes on top of your car. With all of the electronics and sensors installed on modern cars, there should be something you can use via app or car's central system.
Eyeballs work ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-07-22, 04:30 PM
Steve B.

About as many folks get rear ended with bikes totalled. This is an old and tiring argument, there are negatives and positives for both.
Old 01-07-22, 04:46 PM
WhyFi

This is an old and tiring argument, there are negatives and positives for both.
Yet you hailed it as the unqualified best option. I guess we're on the same page, now. Kudos.
Old 01-07-22, 04:57 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I have a high tech solution I use on my car with two carbon bikes on the roof rack (Yakima Front Loaders)
It's called an index card, with the word "BIKES" printed in bold lettering.
I stuff it behind the clip that holds the garage door opener to my visor.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-07-22, 05:06 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I've carried two bikes in a 1986 Honda Civic, considerably smaller than an Audi A5. Wheels had to come off, but that's all. Lay a blanket over the back seat, stand one up in the footwell and another on top of the seat.

I have seen trunk-mounted racks that work more or less like roof racks, with the bike mounted longitudinally on rails. I had one such rack (the Rhode Gear Euro Shuttle), but it hasn't been made in ages. And I'm pretty sure some people have just mounted roof racks on their trunks.
Old 01-07-22, 05:18 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by adamrice
I've carried two bikes in a 1986 Honda Civic, considerably smaller than an Audi A5. Wheels had to come off, but that's all. Lay a blanket over the back seat, stand one up in the footwell and another on top of the seat.

I have seen trunk-mounted racks that work more or less like roof racks, with the bike mounted longitudinally on rails. I had one such rack (the Rhode Gear Euro Shuttle), but it hasn't been made in ages. And I'm pretty sure some people have just mounted roof racks on their trunks.
Having owned a 5 series Audi, I can tell you that getting anything into the backseat is very difficult. When my seat was in driving position, there was about 2" of room between the front and back seats. I wouldn't even try shoving a bike back there. The pass through from the trunk does not provide much relief. Maybe a front wheel in the backseat.
Old 01-07-22, 05:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by dvai
Thanks to all for the reply.
- Is an Audi A5.
- Trek Domane SLR and specializes sirrus carbon frame.
- Inside the car would only fit one and not the Domane without taking off the handlebars
You should have bought the A5 Sportback instead of the A5 Coupe; in early 2020 I almost bought one because the liftback made it the perfect car to transport a road bike, but instead I bought my wife an A6.

But I still manage in my A3, which is even smaller; why don't you just take off the front wheel and turn the handlebar 90 degrees?
Old 01-07-22, 06:21 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts

This ^^^

Old 01-07-22, 06:59 PM
Steve B.

Yet you hailed it as the unqualified best option. I guess we're on the same page, now. Kudos.
You are misinterpreting my post and forgetting that the OP indicated the hitch option was a poor choice for his vehicle. With trunk mount or roof rack the alternatives, roof then being the better option was what I was referring to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.