Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Locating a bicycle out of state

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Locating a bicycle out of state

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22, 08:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
WTF? People don't own a cooler and can't pack food in it?
No, and thus yes.

What do you think of this to solve my problem?:

YETI Tundra 350 Hard Cooler
Old 01-13-22, 08:33 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
No, and thus yes.

Actually, that might make a good shipping container for the bike. Problem solved!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-13-22, 09:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
No offense to Troul , but I don't understand how anyone would give a rat's behind what he chooses to do here enough to question his life choices, but I think this train wreck of a thread could actually become interesting with a slight topic change and would give the people who obviously want to demonstrate how much more they care about bikes than everybody else a chance to vent.

So, anecdotes. What's the most extreme thing you've ever done to acquire a specific bike?
Old 01-13-22, 09:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
No, and thus yes.

Be great if you want to remake Rear Window.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-13-22, 09:45 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by livedarklions
So, anecdotes. What's the most extreme thing you've ever done to acquire a specific bike?
Paid a bunch of money and waited three months.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-13-22, 09:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Paid a little bit of money and waited 6 or 7 months, then paid a lot more money.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-13-22, 10:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Spent 4-5 hours every Sunday for 13 weeks learning to miter, file, align, and braze tubes to make a road frame.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-13-22, 10:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Spent 4-5 hours every Sunday for 13 weeks learning to miter, file, align, and braze tubes to make a road frame.

Are you going to do it again some time? The doing part, not necessarily the learning part.
Old 01-13-22, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by fishboat
..and occasionally you make a good point..amazing

Guess what I'm thinking about you right now.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-13-22, 11:50 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
After contacting the out of state store, they informed me that the description was not accurate. They did help source another store that for some odd reason didn't show up on the search site. Also, I've learned that just because the store is showing up on TREKs site, doesn't mean it's a direct own store.
due to the new source being half the distance, I can actually do the drive to make it within their operating hours.
I was trying to keep my business with my lbs rather than go long distance spending. It is a pretty penny, makes the purchase more difficult to commit to (at least for me) .
Hopefully when I talk with that other shop, things check out.
Old 01-13-22, 11:59 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Troul
After contacting the out of state store, they informed me that the description was not accurate. They did help source another store that for some odd reason didn't show up on the search site. Also, I've learned that just because the store is showing up on TREKs site, doesn't mean it's a direct own store.
due to the new source being half the distance, I can actually do the drive to make it within their operating hours.
I was trying to keep my business with my lbs rather than go long distance spending. It is a pretty penny, makes the purchase more difficult to commit to (at least for me) .
Hopefully when I talk with that other shop, things check out.
I nailed it.
Originally Posted by Koyote
tl;dr: pointless thread. Par for the course in the dead of winter.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-13-22, 12:17 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Also, I've learned that just because the store is showing up on TREKs site, doesn't mean it's a direct own store.
Just means they're a dealer. Store may or may not be owned by Trek corporate.
Old 01-13-22, 01:13 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
OMG 15 minutes I will never get back. I admit I started skipping threads at the 10min point. I may have missed the one where somebody asked the o.p. what kind of TREK would make a person completely lose their self respect in open forum like this? I mean, I own two TREKs and could live without either one in my life, because Specialized and Giant, to name two, could have stepped in with suitable alternatives! Well, maybe not the TREK tandem ... Cannondale? And? Did he even decide to buy the Precious?? I'm going to go wax a chain or something, gah!
Old 01-13-22, 01:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I may have missed the one where somebody asked the o.p. what kind of TREK would make a person completely lose their self respect in open forum like this?
That seems just a tad harsh, dontcha think?

Hopefully, he'll consult with a Certified Genius before posting again.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-13-22, 01:56 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
That seems just a tad harsh, dontcha think?

Hopefully, he'll consult with a Certified Genius before posting again.
That's rich coming from you the king of pain. It only seems harsh because you would have liked to post it first. Beat you to it. Neener, neener. And, don't even think about getting into a crap volley with me over this. You can absolutely have the last words. Make them count, big guy.
Old 01-13-22, 02:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Are you going to do it again some time? The doing part, not necessarily the learning part.
I really looked into in 2.5 years ago when I was wanting a new gravel frame. I went deep into the rabbit hole of figuring out if I could build one on my own at home. I certainly could have based on knowledge and problem solving, but the initial equipment cost was just too much for me to justify.
Learning and building was a total blast. Just fantastic experience thats a 180 from sitting in a home office every day.
Old 01-13-22, 02:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
That's rich coming from you the king of pain. It only seems harsh because you would have liked to post it first. Beat you to it. Neener, neener. And, don't even think about getting into a crap volley with me over this. You can absolutely have the last words. Make them count, big guy.
No, I'd be embarrassed if I posted anything as stupidly over-the-top mean as that.
My cat is better at this insult stuff than you are, and I don't even have a cat.

I like Troul , this wasn't a good OP, but we all have our off days. He won't lose any respect from me or himself or anyone else for that matter because he's a good poster. I mean, he'd never do anything as stupid as to brag about being a "Certified Genius" in a vain attempt to bolster a really crappy argument..

https://www.bikeforums.net/22021397-post9.html

Last edited by livedarklions; 01-13-22 at 02:50 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-13-22, 03:28 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Born and raised in Southern California and having never driven in Midwest winter weather, the quickest way for me to get that bike would be to have my local LBS get it in 6 months or so.

This does take into account time spent in hospitals and looking for a new car(s).

So for Troul to even entertain a dead of winter drive is admirable, to me at least.

John
Old 01-13-22, 07:40 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
right. We dont neeeeed internet or neeeeeed cake.
I have no idea what you’re trying to say. Care to elaborate?
Old 01-15-22, 09:52 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
My guess is perhaps that the "mail-order prohibition" that exists that Steve B. clearly mentioned in post#18, is largely in place because the manufacturers would undoubtedly be facing a greater amount of potential warranty claims as a result of damage incurred in shipping from the selling dealer to the purchaser.

As we know, you can do the best job that anyone in the world can do in preparing, protecting, and enclosing said bicycle for shipping..... .....and yet the entity and it's authorized agents, contracted to handle the shipping to the buyer,, can still often find ways of severely damaging the shipped item, even if such damage only appears inconsequential upon intial examination when received. That being said, it is the manufacturer, who likely will be asked, sometime later, to warranty-repair such damage which was a direct result of the shipper and shipping process. This is because the shipper generally makes it extremely difficult to file damage claims and damage claims that are not generally noted and filed immediately (within 24 hrs) are almost always disputed and dimenished if not outright rejected. This leaves the manufacturer as the "one" holding the "bag", so to speak, because often the buyer's attorney will express that the transaction is a sanctioned sale of the manufacturer's item (here...a bicycle..), and as such the buyer has certain/specific right(s) to receive the goods that he/she purchased in good faith in excellent condition in operational condition. Additionally, there may be more (stronger) legal protection to the rights of the purchaser depending upon the state in which he/she is a resident of.
This opens up a can of worms for the manufacturer. It is a no-win situation, when such damage happens. It is an added cost to the manufacturer and even in the best handled situations where the repair/replacement or replaced damaged component is done swiftly within a few days, etc., the buyer always will remember the sour-taste of receiving a damaged bicycle, and in the case of a pro-longed repair/replacement situation where the needed component cannot be dispatched (perhaps due to mfg shortages, etc), it will really leave an even greater sour-taste with the purchaser and perhaps damage the reputation of the manufacturer in the eyes of that consumer.
That consumer obviously is not likely to be silent about his/her purchase experience among his/her cycling pals, family, friends and colleagues at the office.

Perhaps, if it does not impact any future potential warranty consideration, you can just purchase this bicycle that you want from this non-Local Bike Shop in a distant city, and then designate or hire your own authorized representative to pick it up in person and bring it to you. It would be as if you purchased it in person in that other city..........wouldn't it ?? The transaction would be local there and the sales tax etc would be there, and your name would be recorded as Sold to: by that dealer, and you would have the Sales transaction receipt from that dealer bike shop also for your future records. That bike shop and the manufacturer does not really give a damn if it is your Grand pa or Uncle Billy, or your parents, or your 15th Cousin twice removed, or whomever it is that is your own authorized representative to purchase said bicycle in person for you. After all, that is how thousands of bicycle purchases occur when parent's are acting as Santa Claus for their kids, or for family members buying birthday gifts or anniversary gifts, etc.

Like others have mentioned, if you really want that specific bicycle now at this time, go for it. You will undoubtedly come up with a simple enough solution of finding a family friend or neighbor's daughter, etc (somebody) ... that is nearby-local in that particular city and you can get them to bring it to you when they visit their folks/family in your city in a few weeks or a month and a half from now. Heck, you may already know folks here on bikeforums or on the cabe that might be able to assist or provide recommendations in doing it safely and smoothly. Perhaps this isn't a really useful suggestion but this is how hundreds of the "old farts" that collect rare and somewhat expensive prewar ordinary single speed bicycles do it. They collect so many that they cannot fly everywhere whenever they locate some gem, and driving is impractical and dis-assembling and packing something really ancient and rare, tends to disturb the ancient bicycle too much, so they do it this way when needed. Sometimes these folks go to great lengths and considerable expense to get an ancient antique bicycle to their garage. Sometimes it can be done by using up to a half dozen key people to help get the antique bike hop-scotched to them from across the globe or just from coast to coast. I'm sure that you are intelligent and creative enough to come up with a creative solution........."where there is a will, there is way". You'll have a great story that you can tell your pals in the future about how you had to....______ in order to get this great bicycle.
Old 01-16-22, 08:36 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,417 Times in 2,754 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
My guess is perhaps that the "mail-order prohibition" that exists that Steve B. clearly mentioned in post#18, is largely in place because the manufacturers would undoubtedly be facing a greater amount of potential warranty claims as a result of damage incurred in shipping from the selling dealer to the purchaser.

As we know, you can do the best job that anyone in the world can do in preparing, protecting, and enclosing said bicycle for shipping..... .....and yet the entity and it's authorized agents, contracted to handle the shipping to the buyer,, can still often find ways of severely damaging the shipped item, even if such damage only appears inconsequential upon intial examination when received. That being said, it is the manufacturer, who likely will be asked, sometime later, to warranty-repair such damage which was a direct result of the shipper and shipping process. This is because the shipper generally makes it extremely difficult to file damage claims and damage claims that are not generally noted and filed immediately (within 24 hrs) are almost always disputed and dimenished if not outright rejected. This leaves the manufacturer as the "one" holding the "bag", so to speak, because often the buyer's attorney will express that the transaction is a sanctioned sale of the manufacturer's item (here...a bicycle..), and as such the buyer has certain/specific right(s) to receive the goods that he/she purchased in good faith in excellent condition in operational condition. Additionally, there may be more (stronger) legal protection to the rights of the purchaser depending upon the state in which he/she is a resident of.
This opens up a can of worms for the manufacturer. It is a no-win situation, when such damage happens. It is an added cost to the manufacturer and even in the best handled situations where the repair/replacement or replaced damaged component is done swiftly within a few days, etc., the buyer always will remember the sour-taste of receiving a damaged bicycle, and in the case of a pro-longed repair/replacement situation where the needed component cannot be dispatched (perhaps due to mfg shortages, etc), it will really leave an even greater sour-taste with the purchaser and perhaps damage the reputation of the manufacturer in the eyes of that consumer.
That consumer obviously is not likely to be silent about his/her purchase experience among his/her cycling pals, family, friends and colleagues at the office.

Perhaps, if it does not impact any future potential warranty consideration, you can just purchase this bicycle that you want from this non-Local Bike Shop in a distant city, and then designate or hire your own authorized representative to pick it up in person and bring it to you. It would be as if you purchased it in person in that other city..........wouldn't it ?? The transaction would be local there and the sales tax etc would be there, and your name would be recorded as Sold to: by that dealer, and you would have the Sales transaction receipt from that dealer bike shop also for your future records. That bike shop and the manufacturer does not really give a damn if it is your Grand pa or Uncle Billy, or your parents, or your 15th Cousin twice removed, or whomever it is that is your own authorized representative to purchase said bicycle in person for you. After all, that is how thousands of bicycle purchases occur when parent's are acting as Santa Claus for their kids, or for family members buying birthday gifts or anniversary gifts, etc.

Like others have mentioned, if you really want that specific bicycle now at this time, go for it. You will undoubtedly come up with a simple enough solution of finding a family friend or neighbor's daughter, etc (somebody) ... that is nearby-local in that particular city and you can get them to bring it to you when they visit their folks/family in your city in a few weeks or a month and a half from now. Heck, you may already know folks here on bikeforums or on the cabe that might be able to assist or provide recommendations in doing it safely and smoothly. Perhaps this isn't a really useful suggestion but this is how hundreds of the "old farts" that collect rare and somewhat expensive prewar ordinary single speed bicycles do it. They collect so many that they cannot fly everywhere whenever they locate some gem, and driving is impractical and dis-assembling and packing something really ancient and rare, tends to disturb the ancient bicycle too much, so they do it this way when needed. Sometimes these folks go to great lengths and considerable expense to get an ancient antique bicycle to their garage. Sometimes it can be done by using up to a half dozen key people to help get the antique bike hop-scotched to them from across the globe or just from coast to coast. I'm sure that you are intelligent and creative enough to come up with a creative solution........."where there is a will, there is way". You'll have a great story that you can tell your pals in the future about how you had to....______ in order to get this great bicycle.
Yep, my neighbor's daughter is cute!
Old 01-21-22, 06:33 PM
Troul 

Talked with the other shop & confirmed the details late last week. Went & picked it up late this week. N+1 FTW!
Old 01-22-22, 08:55 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Talked with the other shop & confirmed the details late last week. Went & picked it up late this week. N+1 FTW!
Pictures are traditionally required at this point.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 01-22-22, 03:28 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Pictures are traditionally required at this point.
Otherwise it may not have happened.
Old 01-22-22, 04:10 PM
Troul 

pick the pic up here