Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using non-manufacturers brake hose

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22, 08:57 AM
RichD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is the use of eBay type brake hoses considered risky? Should I stick with hose from the bike manufacturer?

Richard
Old 01-12-22, 09:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
If the price of the other hose + the price of the manufacturers hose just in case the other doesn't work well + my time to install both does not exceed my pocketbook and desire to mess with it two or more times, then I might try the other hose.

However, I typically have found it best to use the manufacturer's recommended products just for the sake of not running into little gotcha's.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-13-22, 08:12 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
I'm not a brand snob but I would only use name brand brake lines. I bought some no-name Bh90 hose and this happened while I was assembling. Thankfully it split then and not out on the road, with my luck it would have been as I was barelling towards a busy intersection.

​​​​​​​
Likes For Ryan_M:
Old 01-13-22, 09:29 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The term "eBay type" fills me with suspicion no matter what the product and brake hoses are the LAST thing I would buy with unknown quality. How much could you possibly save? Yes, manufactures may seem to overprice brake hose and brake fluid but you are getting what you must have in terms of function and quality.
Old 01-13-22, 09:45 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The term "eBay type" fills me with suspicion no matter what the product and brake hoses are the LAST thing I would buy with unknown quality. How much could you possibly save? Yes, manufactures may seem to overprice brake hose and brake fluid but you are getting what you must have in terms of function and quality.
Valid point! What s reliable brakes vs. ones that can fail at any given moment worth to you?

Also last time I bought hose (maybe August last year?) the Shimano stuff was outrageously priced - no idea where prices are now. I ended up buying a Jagwire kit that came with lots of extra little bits for much less. It had their universal ends on it that requires adapters which I have no interest in using so I cut the end off and measured compared to official BH90 and it was identical within the limits of my measuring capabilities. Only difference was I was able to push the barb in with a strong press of the thumb instead of needing to give it a couple light taps. So what's that going to be, like 0.01mm difference? The olive will compress it anyway. I haven't installed or used it yet but I would have no issues using it.
Old 01-14-22, 04:51 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Brakes and tires are the two parts of my bikes (and autos) that I never fix with any less than the best parts. I consider anything else false economy.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 01-16-22, 12:39 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I would just use the proper hose. Granted on my mountain bike I did use Jagwire Pro Hydraulic Hose vs the Shimano stuff that came with it but I use Jagwire for all of my bikes and I think the only thing not using Jagwire at the moment is my Magura brakes which are using the OEM Magura hose. I think all my derailleurs and cable brakes are all Jagwire these days. However I would buy that stuff from a known trusted source who is an authorized dealer. Not some rando on eBay or Alibaba and his forty thieves. Just get the correct stuff these are brakes you are talking about not a bar end plug or something else less critical.