Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stuck pedal

Old 01-17-22, 08:07 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 86 Posts
Stuck pedal

I recently scored an '86 Miyata 310 that some genius was trying to turn into...I dunno what.

Among other things on it are some crappy and mismatched MTB pedals, one of which I can't bust loose at all. Worse, the spindle is soft...wrenches, vise grips, and other pliers are just rounding it off, can't get a grip on it at all. It's the left pedal, and yes, I'm turning it the right (left) way. I've tried penetrating oil, a heat gun, etc...all the normal stuff, and I'm making no headway at all.

It's occurred to me to try and drill it out, but I don't want to bugger up the crank arm, since it's an original Miyata part and not easily replaced. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-17-22, 08:26 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I'd disassemble the pedal leaving only the spindle, put a few drops of DOT 3 brake fluid on the joint (keep it away from paint!), and get my 12" pipe wrench on the remains of the spindle. With the left crank arm forward, parallel to the ground, wrench handle facing to the rear, put one hand on the pedal and one hand on the wrench, and put all your weight on it.

If that doesn't work, pull the crank arm and drill it out. The good news is a regular right twist bit will help unthread it.

Last edited by andrewclaus; 01-28-22 at 02:56 PM.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 01-17-22, 09:23 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 91 Posts
I fought a stuck pedal once, and won by removing the crank arm, placing the arm in a vice (use wood and/or rags to prevent damage to the crank arm finish), pedal pointing up ward (so you're not relying on friction from clamping force to secure the crank arm). then apply sufficient leverage.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 01-17-22, 09:59 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I'd disassemble the pedal leaving only the spindle, put a few drops of DOT 3 brake fluid on the joint (keep it away from paint!), and get my 12" pipe wrench on the remains of the spindle. With the left crank arm forward, parallel to the ground, wrench handle facing to the rear, put on hand on the pedal and one hand on the wrench, and put all your weight on it.

If that doesn't work, pull the crank arm and drill it out. The good news is a regular right twist bit will help unthread it.
Followed your procedure, except for the brake fluid (not sure I have any), and after monumental effort, I got the damned thing to turn. Even then, it turned very grudgingly, and I was afraid that I'd stripped the threads on the crank. However, I kept turning, and sure enough, it was spinning out. Put the vise grips on it to spin it all the way out, and the crank is in good shape. I thank you.

...and I'm leaving the pipe wrench in my bike toolbox. Dang.
Old 01-17-22, 10:07 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback too.

Pedal forward, wrench handle back, using body weight (works the same both sides of course) is a great trick to know.
Old 01-18-22, 01:25 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
It's the left pedal, and yes, I'm turning it the right (left) way.
​​​​​​​For the left, left isn't right. Right is right, 'cause it's the left. Right?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-18-22, 04:49 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
For the left, left isn't right. Right is right, 'cause it's the left. Right?
Right. One just has to remember to turn to the rear of the bike to remove, and to the front of the bike to install, both sides.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-18-22, 10:24 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Now that you have gott4en that one loose, don't forget to apply grease or anti-seize to the threads of the new one. I use Tef-Gel for such things.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 01-27-22, 04:46 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Right. One just has to remember to turn to the rear of the bike to remove, and to the front of the bike to install, both sides.
both pedals screw off towards the rear of the bike.
Old 01-27-22, 04:51 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I just had this same problem, having to cut up the arm to get my old Primo pedal back. The bare aluminum threads, and bare steel threads galvanized together.
Old 01-27-22, 08:11 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
"Right-Right, Left-Left". Glad you got it off. Better to ask, than to fight it off.
Old 01-29-22, 05:22 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Glad that the pedal was removed without damage to the crank! Have you checked to be sure that a “proper” pedal is able to be threaded onto the crank arm? Always hard to say what “Bubba” did to get the cheapo MTN bike pedals mounted. I suppose it’s possible that some level of thread locker was used.
Congrats on the Miyata score! Nice bikes. I have two, an ‘84 Seven Ten and an ‘85 Two Ten. Trying to keep them mostly “period equipped”.
Old 08-07-22, 06:10 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Originally Posted by sovende
Glad that the pedal was removed without damage to the crank! Have you checked to be sure that a “proper” pedal is able to be threaded onto the crank arm? Always hard to say what “Bubba” did to get the cheapo MTN bike pedals mounted. I suppose it’s possible that some level of thread locker was used.
Congrats on the Miyata score! Nice bikes. I have two, an ‘84 Seven Ten and an ‘85 Two Ten. Trying to keep them mostly “period equipped”.
Yeah, the cranks are good. I have some MKS Sylvan pedals on them now.
Old 08-08-22, 05:18 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
do you have a pedal wrench? if not, they're good to have around. w/ 3 bikes, riding year 'round, it seems like every few months, I'm changing or swapping pedals. anti seize yes, but there's some technique to that
Old 08-09-22, 01:36 AM
rokisr

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is relevant for someone else, the best way to remove the pedal is while you have both crank arms on the bike. Take a piece of rope and wrap the opposite crank arm together with chain stay tube (many turns). Then a good wrench and a pipe, if needed, and the pedal will go off. This method never failed in my life and I have removed hundreds of stuck pedals. The downside is that most of the time thread in aluminium crank is damaged. But this will get your pedals off.
/R
Old 08-10-22, 07:27 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by rokisr
The downside is that most of the time thread in aluminium crank is damaged.
Most of the time folks don't want to destroy the cranks, even if the pedal is stuck. Just saying.
Old 08-11-22, 01:27 AM
rokisr

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Most of the time folks don't want to destroy the cranks, even if the pedal is stuck. Just saying.
I fully agree. That's why applying grease before mounting is crucial