Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 12-12-08, 07:03 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
I picked up this complete & original 1973 Raleigh Superbe at a garage sale for $2. I had to replace the dry rotted tires with a brand new set of tires that I got off a bike that was put out for trash pick-up. The Brooks leather saddle is in top shape, and the dyno-hub and lights work just fine.
Old 12-12-08, 07:12 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
I picked up this complete & original 1973 Raleigh Superbe at a garage sale for $2.
Awesome deal. Congrats.

Old 12-12-08, 07:27 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

This quality English 3-speed was put out for trash collection. I fix "gems" like this as a hobby, not as a business venture. If I was doing it as a business.... I've been very fortunate. I've picked up a men's 5-speed Raleigh Sprite (bronze green) with a 23" frame, a men's 3-speed Raleigh Superbe (bronze green) with a 23" frame, and this ladies' 3-speed Raleigh Sports (bronze green). Fixing and collecting vintage bikes is sure an easy, inexpensive alternative to fixing and collecting vintage cars! No matter what the wife may say, they sure take up a lot less room than those vintage cars!!!
Old 12-12-08, 07:30 PM
cycleheimer

cb400bill...thanks! Always best to keep an Allen carrier in the trunk of your car. Never know when you'll catch a garage sale bargain, or a "gem" stranded in a trash pile along the curb.
Old 12-12-08, 07:41 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 634 Posts
I picked up this complete & original 1973 Raleigh Superbe at a garage sale for $2. I had to replace the dry rotted tires with a brand new set of tires that I got off a bike that was put out for trash pick-up. The Brooks leather saddle is in top shape, and the dyno-hub and lights work just fine.
Wow!!!
Old 12-12-08, 07:42 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Always best to keep an Allen carrier in the trunk of your car.
It's one of the many reasons I drive a small pickup truck.

Old 12-12-08, 08:31 PM
infinityeye
Nut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah! I have a bike rack always on my car
Old 12-13-08, 06:16 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts
I have a pickup a Bronco and a jeep liberty and and have stuffed them all at one time with yardsale or trash finds,they had a town yard sale this past summer and I was able to stuff 8 bikes plus other things into my Bronco, I didn't think it possible thank god for quick release wheels.
Old 12-13-08, 08:37 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
Honda Element, holds 3 assembled bikes with the seats up.
Old 12-13-08, 08:45 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I once got 3 complete 24 inch road bikes in a 1997 Honda Civic. Thank goodness it had 4 doors!
Old 12-13-08, 11:44 AM
FlatTop
holyrollin'

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
My two-bike hitch-mounted carrier stays on my station wagon, and can hold three bikes in a pinch. I've had four partly-disassembled bikes inside the wagon. I have a roofrack as well
Old 12-13-08, 06:25 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Well, here's the Trek 1200 that was part of the three bikes for $200 deal. I got the Fuji touring bike shown earlier, a Nishiki International which I am now disgusted with, and this aluminum beauty shown here. The Nishiki had Cyclone M-II but the cage pivot nut is stripped, and the cage spring is weaker than than my will to stop buying bikes, sigh..... Oh well, maybe I can find a working spring in my stash, but the nut will be a tough one.,,,,BD

$100 a piece for the Fuji and Trek was still a good deal though? I should look at it that way, huh?,,,,BD

Oh, BTW I also got this box of junk for $50.

Old 12-13-08, 07:02 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
[QUOTE=

[QUOTE]

Looks like you bought a swap meet booth, with all accessories. Nice catch.
Old 12-13-08, 07:11 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Holy chit!

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-13-08, 07:15 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Thanks. I had never heard of Precision Billet derailleurs before today?? The two rears, and three front derailleurs that are boxy looking. If they work, I'm putting them on the red Cannondale. Of course I have no idea if they work with shimano index shifters? I hope so...The silver Shimano DX pedals are worth more than the admission price to a BMX guy. Not shown is a gallon sized bag of Profile grip shifter grips, in all colors. The little plastic bottle is about half full of machined anodized multicolor cable ends. The little cardboard box is a 3/4 full box of 50 Hyperglide chain pins, with the snap off ends. That stem with the massive suspension link?? I was like WTH is this, haha.,,,,BD

Is the Phil Wood a track hub? It's a bolt on (with an allen wrench)large flange with 36 holes.

Last edited by Bikedued; 12-13-08 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-13-08, 07:46 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Precision Billet was serious Bling back in the day (early-mid 90s). Everyone tried to make a better MTB derailleur back then. Precision Billet, ProShift (I think that's right), and several others. I wanted one so bad. If you were closer, I'd have to try to steal one of those derailleurs. Maybe the Kooka lever, too.

I really, really miss those days. MTB stuff is so bland, boring, and generic now. In the 90s.....it was exciting!

Last edited by PlatyPius; 12-13-08 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-14-08, 09:23 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts
I found what I think may be the perfect saddle for my Motobécane project

The saddle's suede; I don't know how often I can bear to ride it, so I have a well-used white Turbo (what originally came on the bike) that I'll clean up too.
Old 12-14-08, 11:54 AM
anomaly

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Thanks. I had never heard of Precision Billet derailleurs before today?? The two rears, and three front derailleurs that are boxy looking. If they work, I'm putting them on the red Cannondale. Of course I have no idea if they work with shimano index shifters? I hope so...The silver Shimano DX pedals are worth more than the admission price to a BMX guy. Not shown is a gallon sized bag of Profile grip shifter grips, in all colors. The little plastic bottle is about half full of machined anodized multicolor cable ends. The little cardboard box is a 3/4 full box of 50 Hyperglide chain pins, with the snap off ends. That stem with the massive suspension link?? I was like WTH is this, haha.,,,,BD

Is the Phil Wood a track hub? It's a bolt on (with an allen wrench)large flange with 36 holes.
Care to explain the story on getting all that for $50?

The hub is probably a track hub.

You are a lucky *******.
Old 12-14-08, 12:44 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1985 Trek 400 found in the snow next to someone's trash pile:

cool flickstand

appears all original except the bar tape, rear wheel and saddle. Frame is too large for me, so I'm going to part it out and use the parts on my Trek 360 to make it slightly more period correct. The frame is a 60cm with about a 34in. stand over height, and will be going in the for trade thread.

also was given this by my LBS, someone brought it in as a return without the packaging because it didn't fit or something:

its a bell that looks like a tea pot.
Old 12-14-08, 01:42 PM
Quixotegut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've seen a few pics in the FW/SS section with the rear hub enscribed with the word Phil in a nice cursive signature style writing.
Old 12-14-08, 02:03 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
There's some real nice kit in that junk pile, some of it's worth some cash as well.

The Billet derailleurs, Salsa stems, the top mount shifters, Onza brakes, XTR stuff, Phil hub and DX pedals are all valuable to the right buyer, I suggest lurking on the VRC board on mtbr.com to see what those guys get excited about.

The old XT cranks and the DX SPD pedals are some of my favorite bits of mountain bike kit as well but probably aren't worth much. Very good kit though, Shimano hasn't released a platform SPD pedal since that model that comes close in terms of durability. And there's something about those cranks that just looks right - simple, functional, well exceuted and durable. Dura-Ace 7400 cranks do it for me too for some reason, those cranks just seem to say function over fashion and end up looking good because of it.
Old 12-14-08, 02:09 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yes it is. if you want to get rid of it, or those silver brake levers with the black rubber looking pulls, let me know
Old 12-14-08, 02:09 PM
cycleheimer

Great catch! The Trek 400 is a nice road bike. I think they were in the $300 to $350 range when new. You could propably find more than a few people interested in that 25" frame. Way too good to toss into a garbage truck.
Old 12-14-08, 02:51 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Its been a while, but I finally have a couple of catches to post. The season is really winding down.

The first is a catch from a BF member in a trade, a Soma Generation. It just needed a little TLC as it was in very good condition from the start. I ended up replacing the front derailleur with a NOS Suntour Spirt because I just couldn't get the darn thing adjusted properly. It kept throwing the chain over the big ring for some reason and the cable clamp was pretty beat up. She turned out pretty nice after a good cleaning and wax:

The second is a 1985 Peugeot PH10LE from a CL seller. The former owner claims he bought it new while in college back in the mid eighties, rode it for a while then hung it in the garage where its been for many years. It appears to be all original.
The paint is great and there is no rust on the frame, but the rear derailleur is frozen. Front is good but needs adjusting. Sachs-Huret changers:

I'll post some pictures of this nice little Pug after it's cleaned up a bit. I may switch out the brake levers for an aero set I have.

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 12-16-08 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-14-08, 03:17 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rotharpunc
1985 Trek 400 found in the snow next to someone's trash pile:

its a bell that looks like a tea pot.

That's a really nice Trek. Amazing what some folks will throw out. Love the little teapot bell.

Nice catch!

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 12-14-08 at 03:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.