Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 12:55 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Suntour AR derailleurs, Dia Compe 500 brakes, Custom A crankset.
The subject bicycle is a very good match for a 1984, Canadian market, Bianchi Bici I.
Old 01-19-22, 02:57 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject bicycle is a very good match for a 1984, Canadian market, Bianchi Bici I.
Thank You. It was driving me crazy until he said he was in Canada

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-21-22, 04:32 AM
darkG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, what a thread!

I have a possibly 1997-1998 celeste Martini Racing, #851825, Made in Italy sticker, Superset-2 aluminium sticker, Cr-Mo fork sticker.

Almost certainly sold in Sweden.

If this is useful for database I am happy, If any information can be extracted, I am thrilled. I can provide further details for my or your benefit, in case there is interest.
Old 01-21-22, 08:51 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
Snagged a free Bianchi Limited...blue, MKII, Dia Compe, Takagi, Ishwata 22.

Serial # ES331691

My research (probably a T-mar post!) has me thinking '83 or '84?

Last edited by 67tony; 01-21-22 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-22-22, 08:53 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by 67tony
Snagged a free Bianchi Limited...blue, MKII, Dia Compe, Takagi, Ishwata 22.

Serial # ES331691

My research (probably a T-mar post!) has me thinking '83 or '84?
Should be a 1983 model as the serial number indicates May 1983, Japanese manufacture.
Old 01-23-22, 01:01 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by darkG
Hi, what a thread!

I have a possibly 1997-1998 celeste Martini Racing, #851825, Made in Italy sticker, Superset-2 aluminium sticker, Cr-Mo fork sticker.

Almost certainly sold in Sweden.

If this is useful for database I am happy, If any information can be extracted, I am thrilled. I can provide further details for my or your benefit, in case there is interest.
Welcome aboard, glad you found us, you're in the right place, plenty of interest.

We need pics, good ones and plenty of them, you can post them to the gallery on your home page and you can go around, say Hi AND comment on any posts that interest you, 5 posts X 2 days for 10 total to post pics in the threads.

Its an anti spam measure that serves us very well.
Old 01-23-22, 09:40 AM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Should be a 1983 model as the serial number indicates May 1983, Japanese manufacture.
Thank you T-Mar. This site, this thread, and you in particular are a super helpful resource.

Here are some pre-cleanup pics of my Bianchi Limited, which looks to be all original.
The freewheel may need some extra attention, or replacement, but most other parts are in good condition.
One thing that bums me out, though, is that they used steel spokes between otherwise decent rims and hubs.

Old 01-23-22, 09:47 AM
67tony 

More pics of my '83 Bianchi Limited.
Plenty of patina, but plenty of potential.

Likes For 67tony:
Old 01-26-22, 04:59 AM
Stormy85

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Hi everyone

I need your help with identifying this Bianchi frame as I am having a hard time piecing together the facts.
Based on the color I was assuming that it was a 1985 Stelvio yet there seem to be various clues as to why not:
- It has the squared colorado springs decal which, as far as I have read here, is only on 1987 models.
- However, the serial number located on the steerer tube is 866389. Assuming the first number is the year this would be a 1988 model.
According to this and based on the color scheme I am a bit confused as to what model it might be as I cant seem to find any other model in this particular color.

Other noteworthy infos:
- The seat post i pulled out is a Gipiemme. It doesn't have the size stamped, or perhaps its just not visible any longer, but I measured it at 26mm. I believe this is the original.
- The chainstay dropouts also reads Gipiemme.
- The rear dropout spacing is 126mm.
- Its Italian made and has a 70mm BB. There is an Italian flag, "made in Italy", decal wrapped around the lower end of the seat tube.
- No Braze-on for front derailleur
- I believe there was a decal on the side of the top tube but I base this on a smear mark that looks like old residue.
- There are no Bianchi indicators on the frame anywhere, such as the B behind the steerer tube.

I am curious as to what model you think it is.
I am going to keep the fixie build but make it a bit more modern as many of the original parts have already been altered anyways. I would like to repaint it in Celeste and possibly remove the cable bosses on the down tube. Any chance I can ream the seat tube to 27.2 or would you recommend going with a 25.4 and a shim?

Old 01-26-22, 05:46 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Stormy85 good morning. Where are you and the bike located?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-26-22, 05:59 AM
Stormy85

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Stormy85 good morning. Where are you and the bike located?
Switzerland
Old 01-26-22, 06:14 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Stormy85
Switzerland

I suspected it was a (an? that doesn’t sound right) European frame. It could be an early build ‘88 and square champione decal from leftover stock. For some reason Bianchi dropped their frame cartouches in ‘88. I’d try and double check that seatpost. The fork might be a replacement

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-26-22, 06:29 AM
T-Mar

Hi everyone

I need your help with identifying this Bianchi frame as I am having a hard time piecing together the facts.
Based on the color I was assuming that it was a 1985 Stelvio yet there seem to be various clues as to why not:
- It has the squared colorado springs decal which, as far as I have read here, is only on 1987 models.
- However, the serial number located on the steerer tube is 866389. Assuming the first number is the year this would be a 1988 model.
According to this and based on the color scheme I am a bit confused as to what model it might be as I cant seem to find any other model in this particular color.

Other noteworthy infos:
- The seat post i pulled out is a Gipiemme. It doesn't have the size stamped, or perhaps its just not visible any longer, but I measured it at 26mm. I believe this is the original.
- The chainstay dropouts also reads Gipiemme.
- The rear dropout spacing is 126mm.
- Its Italian made and has a 70mm BB. There is an Italian flag, "made in Italy", decal wrapped around the lower end of the seat tube.
- No Braze-on for front derailleur
- I believe there was a decal on the side of the top tube but I base this on a smear mark that looks like old residue.
- There are no Bianchi indicators on the frame anywhere, such as the B behind the steerer tube.

I am curious as to what model you think it is.
I am going to keep the fixie build but make it a bit more modern as many of the original parts have already been altered anyways. I would like to repaint it in Celeste and possibly remove the cable bosses on the down tube. Any chance I can ream the seat tube to 27.2 or would you recommend going with a 25.4 and a shim?
The subject frame would appear to be an entry level model manufactured by Chiorda, likely for a European market. The tubing is a lighweight hi-tensile based on both the tubing decal and seat post size. Like yourself, my leading candidate would have been a 1988 model based on the serial number but 1987 based on the rectangular Campione del Mondo decal. The caveat in all this is that it is a European model. Bianchi models were typically spec'd by th local importer/distributor. Consequently, there can be drastic differences between features, components and even model names from one market to another. For instance, there were drastic differences in models even between Canada and the USA. Given that this would appear to be Eurpoean model and most forum members are American based, it may be difficult to come up with the model.
Old 01-26-22, 11:39 AM
Stormy85

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I suspected it was a (an? that doesn’t sound right) European frame. It could be an early build ‘88 and square champione decal from leftover stock. For some reason Bianchi dropped their frame cartouches in ‘88. I’d try and double check that seatpost. The fork might be a replacement
thanks for the enlightenment. What is a frame cartouche?
Yeah, i already figured the fork was a replacement. I did see some pictures of bianchi forks in chrome but they generally had bianchi stamped on the dropouts. Mine doesnt have them.
as soon as i get the 3ttt quill stem out (need an 7 mm allen key) i will have a look at the fork steerer for some more information. Having started the tear down process it seems everything original has been replaced. The cranks are Shimano 600 6702 which doesnt seem to fit with 1988.
Old 01-26-22, 11:43 AM
Stormy85

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
The subject frame would appear to be an entry level model manufactured by Chiorda, likely for a European market. The tubing is a lighweight hi-tensile based on both the tubing decal and seat post size. Like yourself, my leading candidate would have been a 1988 model based on the serial number but 1987 based on the rectangular Campione del Mondo decal. The caveat in all this is that it is a European model. Bianchi models were typically spec'd by th local importer/distributor. Consequently, there can be drastic differences between features, components and even model names from one market to another. For instance, there were drastic differences in models even between Canada and the USA. Given that this would appear to be Eurpoean model and most forum members are American based, it may be difficult to come up with the model.
Ok. Based on it being an entry level model i guess i dont have to feel bad about respraying it 😁
I do wonder, although the spec might be different according to the distributer wouldnt the color have been from factory?
Of course i cant say that it hasnt been resprayed but it doesnt look like it.
Old 01-27-22, 08:36 AM
T-Mar

Ok. Based on it being an entry level model i guess i dont have to feel bad about respraying it 😁
I do wonder, although the spec might be different according to the distributer wouldnt the color have been from factory?
Of course i cant say that it hasnt been resprayed but it doesnt look like it.
While the paint may have been factory applied, the colour may have chosen by the local importer/distributor. Colours often vary from market to market, based on local preferences. A classic example of this is the influence of the Miami Vice televison show on USA fashion trends in the late 1980s. It's palette of pastel colours such as pale pink, teal, peach and fushia spilled over into the bicycle industry, gving us bicycle frames in these colours. Bianchi even relented to offering a more muted version of their classic Celeste, called Mint Celeste. However, this trend was far less evident in foreign markets where the show was not televised.

In some rare cases, importers/distributors even had the painting done by themselves or local contractors. This could happen if the importer/distributor was unsatisfied with the workmanship of factory painting, such as case with Ten Speed Drive in the USA and some of it's Italian manufacturers. Also, performing more operations locally could lower import duties, to the extent that some performed their own component installtion and even frame painting.
Old 01-27-22, 09:35 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

thanks for the enlightenment. What is a frame cartouche?
Yeah, i already figured the fork was a replacement. I did see some pictures of bianchi forks in chrome but they generally had bianchi stamped on the dropouts. Mine doesnt have them.
as soon as i get the 3ttt quill stem out (need an 7 mm allen key) i will have a look at the fork steerer for some more information. Having started the tear down process it seems everything original has been replaced. The cranks are Shimano 600 6702 which doesnt seem to fit with 1988.
I use it somewhat out of context or maybe incorrectly. In the gun world, especially military arms, it was used to to refer to a marking made in a stock or other part by a quality inspector. I use it to refer to frame embellishments on stay caps forks and other places.

Sadly without these many many quality frames go unknown and unloved

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-02-22, 07:39 PM
EvanAL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Year?

Hello,

Was referred here from retrobike. Looking for some help in ID ing my Martini Racing mtb. Canti hanger and Nivacrom EL. "51" on one side and "C965" on the other side of the bb shell.

Thanks in advance! I see some pretty sweet rides here!
Old 02-03-22, 07:11 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by EvanAL
Hello,

Was referred here from retrobike. Looking for some help in ID ing my Martini Racing mtb. Canti hanger and Nivacrom EL. "51" on one side and "C965" on the other side of the bb shell.

Thanks in advance! I see some pretty sweet rides here!

Good Morning and welcome to the forums. Can you tell us a bit more about this? Does it have suspension? What components are on it? Is it Celeste? Any other colors? What country is it in?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-04-22, 08:19 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

For the data base the Celeste Proto, originally purchased new frame/fork in ‘90 is B000 64 it arrived to me with only one set of bosses and no pump peg.

The red Proto acquired in ‘09 and repainted at least once before I got it is B000 73 I do not know if the second bottle bosses and pump peg are original or added at the repaint. The RD cable routing is external on the red versus internal on the Celeste one

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-05-22, 08:14 AM
EvanAL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Details

Good Morning and welcome to the forums. Can you tell us a bit more about this? Does it have suspension? What components are on it? Is it Celeste? Any other colors? What country is it in?
The parts are aftermarket, so not much help there. The bike is in the US, and has a pearl celeste paint job with dark blue and red Martini graphics.

Rigid 1" threaded fork painted to match. Lugged BB shell with "Bianchi" embossed. Pseudo lugged main triangle with the "lugs" welded to the head and seat tube. Single sided canti hanger out back.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-22, 02:53 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by EvanAL
The parts are aftermarket, so not much help there. The bike is in the US, and has a pearl celeste paint job with dark blue and red Martini graphics.

Rigid 1" threaded fork painted to match. Lugged BB shell with "Bianchi" embossed. Pseudo lugged main triangle with the "lugs" welded to the head and seat tube. Single sided canti hanger out back.

Thanks!
it might be the ‘97 Grizzly RC. It looks like it might have come as a frame only.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-06-22, 04:55 PM
EvanAL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost

The paint is bang on but there is no canti hanger or lugs on the 97 pictured. Mine has both. If I get to ten posts, I can post pics!
Old 02-06-22, 05:12 PM
EvanAL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Head Tube

Also noticed the 97 calls out 1 1/8" and mine is 1". This all points to older than 97 then. Progress
Old 02-07-22, 07:23 AM
darkG

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkG
serial 851825
I finally managed some images! Can't link the album properly, sorry about that. This should work though; please add the "www" before the dot:

.bikeforums.net/g/album/23975970

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.