Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Seeking Zwift Course Recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Seeking Zwift Course Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 06:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I think you get used to the other riders at some point. Maybe after you've ridden through about 157 of them on a ride. I guess collision detection is too hard to figure out.

Is it possible to do the crit course in Scotland as a group ride? I think it would be good for intervals because of that hill in the middle
Old 03-10-23, 06:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
So I tried that "meetup" hack to be able to ride alone, but it turns out you need to invite at least one follower to your meetup, and I don't have any Zwift followers.
I fixed that for you.

Even when doing a Z2 ride, I don't mind having other riders around. The trick is being mentally committed to your workout intent, and not get sucked into being competitive with those around you. A pace-bot group can be helpful, too, because everyone is riding at your targeted w/kg.

Routes I tend to use for Z2...
Tempus Fugit is the flattest route, and the easiest to ride a steady target effort without ERG mode, but it can get visually boring. Each lap is 30-ish minutes.
Tick Tock has more variety than Tempus and a few moderate and short climbs. Maintaining a target zone is pretty easy. Laps are a about 30-ish minutes.
I'm liking Triple Flat Loops. There are some short climbs, but it's pretty easy to stay in a Z2 effort for all but a couple of quick punches. Laps take me about an hour.
Old 03-10-23, 07:04 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
You might try looking up the Zwift Offline hack. It lets you run Zwift while not on the internet so you don't see anyone else. You also don't accumulate points toward levels and new bikes and all that though.
Thanks, I did see that "disconnect from the internet" hack. But I'm using Zwift through Apple TV, and I think disconnecting that from the internet during a Zwift session would be tricky. Turning off the router is another option, but that's not a great idea in a home with two people.

Originally Posted by Eric F
I fixed that for you.

Even when doing a Z2 ride, I don't mind having other riders around. The trick is being mentally committed to your workout intent, and not get sucked into being competitive with those around you. A pace-bot group can be helpful, too, because everyone is riding at your targeted w/kg.

Routes I tend to use for Z2...
Tempus Fugit is the flattest route, and the easiest to ride a steady target effort without ERG mode, but it can get visually boring. Each lap is 30-ish minutes.
Tick Tock has more variety than Tempus and a few moderate and short climbs. Maintaining a target zone is pretty easy. Laps are a about 30-ish minutes.
I'm liking Triple Flat Loops. There are some short climbs, but it's pretty easy to stay in a Z2 effort for all but a couple of quick punches. Laps take me about an hour.
Thanks, Eric F, for the follow and the route recommendations. I'm going to try out one of them momentarily. Triple Flat Loops sounds inviting.

Last edited by terrymorse; 03-10-23 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-11-23, 02:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
On the first group ride I went on, one of our group didn't know he was doing a workout. I'm not sure how you do a group ride and a workout at the same time. The group rides have had bugs occasionally. The rubber band feature often seems to fail to work. But if you are doing a group ride by yourself, you probably wouldn't have that turned on.

I also followed OP.
Old 03-13-23, 01:06 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Finally logged on to my companion app to follow OP as well. Looks like there are lots of choices for a meet up.
Old 03-13-23, 03:38 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
On the first group ride I went on, one of our group didn't know he was doing a workout. I'm not sure how you do a group ride and a workout at the same time. The group rides have had bugs occasionally. The rubber band feature often seems to fail to work. But if you are doing a group ride by yourself, you probably wouldn't have that turned on.

I also followed OP.
There are group rides and group workouts. You can't join a group ride in workout mode. The rubber band feature in group rides is not an option that you can switch on/off. It is either on or off for all riders in the group.
Old 03-14-23, 08:36 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Update: I calibrated the Zwift Hub power, then I rode a Zwift course called Legends and Lava while simultaneously recording pedal power on my Garmin.

The Zwift average power was just 4 watts higher than the Assioma pedal/Garmin average power. That's nice to see.

But an hour of Zwift still feels more leg fatiguing than an hour on the road. Maybe because you don't get any rest.

Last edited by terrymorse; 03-14-23 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-14-23, 09:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
But an hour of Zwift still feels more leg fatiguing than an hour on the road. Maybe because you don't get any rest.
This is exactly it. Even going downhill in Zwift, people tend to keeps tension on the pedals more than they would IRL. From a training perspective, it's an effective tool.
Old 03-15-23, 03:49 AM
PeteHski

Without a doubt. My average power indoor is much higher than outdoor over a couple of hours. There's a lot more coasting time outdoors.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-15-23, 06:21 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
It’s not just Zwift; an hour workout on any “turbo trainer” should be more fatiguing than an hour on the road if you’re doing it right. Turbos have been preferred tools for decades for that reason. They’re a highly efficient workout mode.
Old 03-15-23, 07:47 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by chaadster
It’s not just Zwift; an hour workout on any “turbo trainer” should be more fatiguing than an hour on the road if you’re doing it right. Turbos have been preferred tools for decades for that reason. They’re a highly efficient workout mode.
While true, I never managed to string together enough consistent sessions on any of the turbo trainers I had before Zwift and other smart trainer apps.

My first serious indoor trainer was a Kettler ErgoRacer from the early 2000s, which had power, erg mode, interval programs etc. I hardly ever used it and it became the classic clothes hanger trainer. Then we had a Matrix gym bike (still have it actually) from 2018, which was slightly better with a screen and apps for virtual riding and web browsing. I actually did some productive training on this bike, but it was still hard to keep motivated. Then in 2019 I bought my first smart trainer (Elite Direto X) and this was a complete game-changer and I haven't looked back since, while massively improving my cycling fitness. Now I have a full-on Wahoo smart bike, which is awesome with Zwift, Rouvy, Wahoo X etc. There are times that I prefer it to riding outdoors - like right now with our current crappy weather - rain, sleet, mud and gusting winds.

In fact I'm going to do an hour on it right now.
Old 03-15-23, 09:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
While true, I never managed to string together enough consistent sessions on any of the turbo trainers I had before Zwift and other smart trainer apps.
Yeah, there were lots of tricks to make turbo time more tolerable back in the day, but “game-ifying” it was Zwift’s brilliant innovation.

Even for me, as someone who was quite accustomed to turbo time pre-Zwift and have been fairly regular with it since at least around ‘02-‘04 when I got a CycleOps fluid trainer to replace old fan-resistance units, and downright regimented with it since ‘10 when I began coached, power-based stationary training, Zwift was a game-changer for me. I’ve been on Zwift since it was beta, so that says something about how much I like it! I don’t get into a great deal, but I find it a terrific distraction, and am content to just have the watts, HR, RPM and a screen to look at; I don’t do any of the game stuff like power-ups, chase medals or goals, get into bikes, wheels and kit, or any stuff like that. I scarcely even have world preferences, but having my on-bike effort directly relate to what’s on-screen is huge to me.
Old 03-15-23, 10:22 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by chaadster
Yeah, there were lots of tricks to make turbo time more tolerable back in the day, but “game-ifying” it was Zwift’s brilliant innovation.
I'm not interested in the gaming aspects (earning prizes or fancy bikes) of Zwift, but I've already realized that the realism is quite enticing. Getting caught and passed by another rider, chasing then down, doing KOM climbs for time, etc.

On yesterday's course, someone was dangling several seconds off the front in the rollers, putting out slightly more power than I was, but I was able to catch them by smashing the uphill bits. I rode behind them up the KOM climb as they gradually raised the pace. I attacked 300 meters from the summit, got a gap and held them off. That was fun.

Last edited by terrymorse; 03-15-23 at 06:09 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-16-23, 11:30 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
As you've noticed, even as a climbing "has-been," climbing on a trainer isn't like climbing in real life. The crank inertial load is different.
Likes For RChung:
Old 03-16-23, 11:56 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by RChung
As you've noticed, even as a climbing "has-been," climbing on a trainer isn't like climbing in real life. The crank inertial load is different.
Indeed. If I had to describe the difference, it feels like I’m constantly pushing through mush on the trainer.

Old 03-16-23, 12:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Last Sunday I didn't want to ride in the rain yet again, so I did two group rides on Zwift. One was one of the "Tour Of Watopia" rides, so no power limits. I just found a group that was riding in a power range I figured I could do for an hour, which turned out to be a 228w average, but with some surges and the inevitable increase toward the end leading to a sprint. That was fun!

The second ride was the TFC group ride. An hour long, with a ride leader, a sweeper, and the fence. I chose the "sub-2.5w/kg" group, because I wanted a nice Z2 ride. I did contest a couple of the sprints, and the ride leader turned off the fence for the last 10 minutes and about 20 of us took off for s***st and giggles, but overall, my power for that ride averaged 172w, and was a lot less "spiky" than the ToW ride.

I find when I ride alone, I do the same thing I do on the road - push hard some places, like hills and the rollers in Titans Grove, then other places I just spin along at a reasonable pace, unless there's someone up ahead tempting me to catch them. I don't noodle as much as I do IRL, because the scenery in Woodside and Portola Valley is much better than anything on Zwift, so I don't find myself riding along grooving on the imaginary flowers and animals.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: