Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

End of the road for Shimano Sora, Claris, Tiagra, Alivio, Acera, Altus groupsets

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

End of the road for Shimano Sora, Claris, Tiagra, Alivio, Acera, Altus groupsets

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-23, 10:38 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
It really sounds like a good move; leave the lower end stuff to Microshift and start over with a new range that's entirely cross compatible.
You do realize that we have been here before, don’t you? Shimano had an entire line that was cross compatible from 6 speed to 9 speed (with a few rare exceptions). I have bicycles that are running 9 speed mountain rear derailers with 9 speed…and even 10 speed…road shifters. I never went to road derailers with mountain shifters but it would not have been impossible.

Then Shimano decided to screw us by introducing a new drivetrain line that was incompatible. They will do it again, just watch.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-01-23, 12:05 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
I was happy with a good set of friction shifters with levers on the downtube :-)
Likes For boozergut:
Old 03-01-23, 12:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Thank you for the facts and the correction. I still feel the same about Microshift's plans ... and we all know feelings trump facts around here .
Yeah, I agree that Microshift will likely continue to make the Shimano compatible components for the indefinite future. Its probably super easy at this point since they arent innovating anything, so its low cost too.

I listed to a podcast a couple years ago with the head of Microshift Sales for North America- it was a really cool interview that I think was part of Nerd Alert, though not sure. Anyways, he addressed the external routed shift cables and said that they cant get around design infringement that would either violate Shimano or SRAM, so they routed the cables externally. I would be curious to know how they got around the obstacles with their 10sp and 11sp groups that route under the tape, but regardless- apparently design limitations wont allow them to route under bar tape for all the 7-10sp Shimano Legacy style shifting.
He talked extensively about Microshift's own product- Advent. Advent and Advent X have made their way to a lot of budget MTB builds and the drop bar Advent X is OEM on even Cannondale Topstone. It is its own system, so it isnt Shimano compatible. I could definitely see them continuing this route- budget, quality, in-house design.
Old 03-01-23, 12:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You do realize that we have been here before, don’t you? Shimano had an entire line that was cross compatible from 6 speed to 9 speed (with a few rare exceptions). I have bicycles that are running 9 speed mountain rear derailers with 9 speed…and even 10 speed…road shifters. I never went to road derailers with mountain shifters but it would not have been impossible.

Then Shimano decided to screw us by introducing a new drivetrain line that was incompatible. They will do it again, just watch.
Yes, for over a quarter century it was almost entirely interchangable. God forbid a company change. Its been nearly a decade- move on.
Old 03-01-23, 12:40 PM
Atlas95

Bikes: 2015 Motobecane Mirage, 2022 Wabi Thunder

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
my crystal ball: will be wireless electronic shifting only in 5 years, as at some price point it will be cheaper for bike manufactures to put one of these on than run cable
If this ever comes true I will be very sad. I thoroughly enjoy the "clunky" feel of (even very smooth) mechanical shifting :[
Old 03-01-23, 01:08 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
This eliminates the durability benefit of the <11spd setups. Yet, Shimano is planning to offer 9spd and 10spd versions of it. Who do they think will be interested in that?
Old 03-01-23, 01:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Like Cyccommute, I remember the days when any Shimano shifter paired with any derailleur. Good stuff for amateur bike assemblers, because the range of options was so wide.

However, when it became clear that there were better designs available, and at a time when except for the rare low-dollar garage mechanic, people weren't widely mixing systems, so that Shimano had divided strongly into Road and MTB components ... well I don't know why cable-pull rations had to change, but again it was only as Issue to a very, very few people.

Will Shimano change the new system (which once again integrates all of its drive train options)? Most likely, After some number of years, metal gears might become passe, as CF or 3d-printed parts take over the market. Who knows? Who knows what new tech will be developed in the next decade or two which might radically change or just offer significant upgrades to existing drive train options?

A quick web search indicates that Dura Ace was introduced in 1973 and Ultegra in 1987, So ... thirty and fifty years ago. And we are complaining because Shimano is moving on? (Maybe some of us should too?)

And sure, all those systems were updated many times down through the years ... and we all survived. This is just another update.

Chill out, folks. The world is ending, but not because or brifters and cogs.
Old 03-01-23, 02:28 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
This eliminates the durability benefit of the <11spd setups. Yet, Shimano is planning to offer 9spd and 10spd versions of it. Who do they think will be interested in that?
The new 9 and 10 speed will have the same cog spacing as the 11 speed. So they will use the same cassette (minus 1 or 2 cogs), same chain and same crankset as 11 speed, only the shifter has 1 or 2 fewer clicks.
Basically the durability problems and expensive chains of 11 speed without the benefit(?) of added gearing.
Old 03-01-23, 02:39 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Some more news from Shimano:
https://bikerumor.com/new-shimano-hu...ar-affordable/
For the Cues groupsets, Shimano is moving away from cup-and-cone bearings and going to cartridge. Unlike other diehards here though- I have never been a big fan of cup and cone- because your bearing adjustment is ruined the moment you clamp the QR on. Anyways, even Shimano is beginning to see the light and move away from cup and cone. The most interesting design is the QC400. It retains the original Shimano stroke of genius- the outboard bearing location for the DS bearings, and the versatility of the threaded rod axle, while using cartridge bearings. Best of all worlds. Most other cartridge bearing designs currently on the market move the DS bearing inboard, and get away with that with a larger diameter fixed axle which doesn't have the versatility of a threaded axle.

All hope is not lost for the cup-and-cone die-hards though. The lowest end QC300 retains the traditional cup-and-cone. Another encouraging bit of news is that the 7 speed short freehub body continues to live on!!!! So in theory you can still get a brand new 7 speed hub for your 126mm frame

Last edited by icemilkcoffee; 03-01-23 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-01-23, 02:42 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I'm not sure that I've found Shimano's narrower higher-speed stuff to have any real durability issues compared with their wider stuff.

However, there's always been an implication that the durability and function of the narrower stuff leveraged designs that relied on pricier manufacturing. If they've managed to get around that, and everything is going to use the same spacing and pull ratios, it's not obvious why you'd keep <11-speed groups at all. It's not like a few clicks on a ratchet and a couple of cogs on a consumable item represent a big manufacturing cost difference. I suppose lower-speed groups could get away with a narrower freehub body and wider hub flanges, but introducing a whole bunch of hub standards would seem to violate the whole premise of this thing as well.
Which suggests that either the lower-tier stuff will compromise on functional behavior or durability (not very Shimano-like), or is being artificially restricted to lower cog counts purely for tier differentiation (conceptually annoying).

Also, are they seriously calling this "CUES"?
Old 03-01-23, 02:53 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
I watch a lot of new riders struggle shifting out of one gear. If they are going to make 11 the standard then it might as well be the 11 tooth cog, lol. I'm not sure why they even make a multi speed electric bike. Guess this means the vintage crowd needs to horde some more parts.
Old 03-01-23, 04:57 PM
freetors

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Honestly I think this will be good. I can't even imagine the sheer number of SKUs on of all the components that cover at least a dozen different groupsets across road and MTB. At the end of the day I think a more focused product line will help keep prices lower and interchangeability high. Most of shimano's components have pretty trivial differences between groupsets anyway. In a perfect world, I don't really see the need to have more than four groupsets per product line.
Old 03-01-23, 07:01 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by freetors
Honestly I think this will be good. I can't even imagine the sheer number of SKUs on of all the components that cover at least a dozen different groupsets across road and MTB. At the end of the day I think a more focused product line will help keep prices lower and interchangeability high. Most of shimano's components have pretty trivial differences between groupsets anyway. In a perfect world, I don't really see the need to have more than four groupsets per product line.
You have to remember how Shimano got to this place to begin with. They didn't just wake up one day and decided to make groupsets in 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 speeds simultaneously. The 7 speed groupsets started when Shimano introduced the 7 speed Dura Ace with freehub/cassette and SIS indexed shifting. This was the groupset that propelled Shimano past Campagnolo and Suntour. With time they started making 7 speed groupsets in their lower ranked 600 and then 105 range. And so on and so forth, until today, when 7 speed still survives in the very humble Tourney groupset. It seems pathetic today, but it is the direct spiritual descendent of the world beating Dura Ace 7 speed groupset of yore. Likewise 8 speed got its start when Shimano managed to get the bike makers to widen their frames to 130mm to accommodate 8 cogs in the back. This was combined with the revolutionary Dura Ace brifters. Another blockbuster for Shimano. This time Shimano swept the pro tours leaving all doubters behind. With time the 8 speeds and brifters filtered down to 600, then 105, etc groupsets. Until now when it lives on in the modern Sora groupset. Again- a humble groupset that traces its lineage back to the old master Dura Ace of 1990. So all these lower groupsets are just continuation of older technology, when the upper groupsets goes on to chase the latest and greatest technologies.
Old 03-01-23, 10:48 PM
speyfitter

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Any idea when we will realistically see CUES components on sale ?
Old 03-01-23, 11:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Coming soon: Hydraulic derailleurs.
Already been here with Acros and still around with Rotor. It is different from a brake system as it is completely sealed so you should never need to bleed and it eliminates all the issues one could have with tight cable bends. Rotor designed it with the help of Magura who know's hydraulics pretty well and from what I hear it is good stuff.

In terms of CUES good for Shimano, make more affordable but higher quality parts. Some of that low end stuff is bad to pretty bad so improving it would be excellent. If I had a vintage bike I would either stick with my vintage components or modernize just putting lower end components on it just isn't my jam. My XT-M737 rear derailleur is pretty bombproof and it can work with 9 speed stuff and plenty of that available used as needed or just go friction and all good. Plenty of decent modern friction stuff and again plenty of used stuff or NOS as well.

It will take a long time for Shimano to get rid of all their cheaper stuff so it will be around a while but CUES I think is an excellent step forward. It is sort of like Advent is for Microshift and I mean that in a good way. Plus I do think it actually looks pretty good I happened to be on Shimano B2B looking up some stuff and saw a couple cranks and thought wow that actually looks good. Budget stuff doesn't need to look like crap anymore and hopefully if performance is what they are talking then it doesn't need to work like crap either and maybe we can get back to some decent quality long lasting bikes under $1k and that would be excellent.

In terms of when we will see it probably next year. Shimano is screwy right now due to a lot of pandemic related closures and being one of the largest OEM groupset manufacturers. SRAM did really well where Shimano faltered on production.

Last edited by veganbikes; 03-01-23 at 11:28 PM.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-02-23, 05:11 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Bad news for all the die-hards who have hung onto the old 7-10 speed road and 7-9 speed MTB groupsets and enjoyed the interchangeability of these groupsets. Shimano is terminating all these existing 8-10 speed groupsets and replacing them with a unified 'Cues' groupset which uses 11 speed cassette and 11 speed spacing, and new pull ratios. There will also be 9 and 10 speed variants of this Cues lineup- but they will all use the same 11 speed spacing, chain and crankset- just omitting cogs from the 11speed cassette and reducing clicks in the shifters.
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-cues/
Oh well, there is still the good old Tourney 7 speed groupset- so that will be the last holdout of the righteous.
Is this confirmed by shimano or is it simply bikeradar making assumptions or conflating pull ratio with cog spacing. Off the cuff Id say its likely not true. Im betting there will be a new unified pullratio for all 9-10-11s speed groups, just like tiagra 4700 adopted 11s road pull ratio, - but cog spacing will stay the same as ever.
Old 03-02-23, 06:11 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I read that as Shimano will use a different pull ratio then the old groups used .... while most of the lower groups had been upgraded (int eh latest variant) to 11-speed ratios, as I recall, Tiagra was still out on its own, and older versions of lower groups might have been too. Also, MTB stuff had a different ratio. As I read it Shimano will use a single new ration for all groups of the CUES line ... at once making CUES non-retrofittable, and making it much easier to mix. match and upgrade withing CUES.

Last edited by Maelochs; 03-02-23 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-02-23, 06:53 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
If CUES was to adopt current 11s road pull ratio, then CUES, tiagra 4700, both 11s 105, both 11s ultegra and all GRX would all share the same pull ratio. Seems like a smart move, but who knows. - I still cant imagine shimano would break compatibility between 9s and 10s CUES cassettes and current 9s and 10s cassettes, by altering cog spacing, as suggested in the OP.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 03-02-23, 07:39 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Pity the LBS with a showroom full of bikes 'with the old stuff' and the spring sales season moments away.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-02-23, 07:43 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
...7 speed still survives in the very humble Tourney groupset.
Shimano component 5- and 6-speed freewheel drivetrains are alive and well worldwide, and if you're in NA, available for viewing at your local big box store.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-02-23, 07:50 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Coming soon: Hydraulic derailleurs.
Fun fact: the Kindernay 14-speed gear hub has hydraulic shifting.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-02-23, 07:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Herzlos
It really sounds like a good move; leave the lower-end stuff to Microshift and start over with a new range that's...
...covered up with patent protection.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-02-23, 07:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes, for over a quarter century it was almost entirely interchangable. God forbid a company change. It’sIf been nearly a decade- move on.
If by “it’s been nearly a decade” since Shimano caused this incompatibility problem, I fully agree. But since Shimano caused the problem in the first place, what makes you think that they will stay the course for the next 5 to 9 years, much less a 25?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-02-23, 08:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
I was happy with a good set of friction shifters with levers on the downtube :-)
Same, but barcons instead.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-02-23, 08:22 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Where there's a will and possibly a way, people will figure it out. The only Shimano components on this one are the hubs and RD. Despite having the triple/LC RD/big cassette, special attention was paid to the weight of the drivetrain. Shimano fell short to other components in the cost/weight department for what was required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.