Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hallway wall mounts

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hallway wall mounts

Old 03-17-23, 02:16 AM
bathedinshadow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hallway wall mounts

We're having to move into a small apartment, so we no longer have our storage space. We have several bikes and the entry hallway is going to be one of the places we're going to have store a couple. So I need them up off the ground and sticking out as little as possible. I've come across this kind of wall anchor and it's pretty much what I'm after. I'm going to just make my own because these seem hugely overpriced for a piece of metal. But I'm wondering if I should maybe have the top anchor attach somewhere else. The pedal does seem like it would be the most convenient, but I'm wondering if the force on either the crank or even the angle of it pulling on the pedal itself could cause damage? Two of the bikes are carbon and super light, so maybe they'd be fine? Those are the two I'm the most worried about. We also have two single speed steel bikes and I'm less concerned about ruining them, but still would rather not.

Should I try to anchor from the handlebars somehow? I know a simple answer would be just to throw something soft around the top tube as the angle would hardly put any strain from higher up on the bike like that.... but I'd prefer to not have to finagle anything when putting them up. Just lift and set down. Especially with bikes higher up the wall.

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Rack-Han...NrPXRydWU&th=1
Old 03-17-23, 04:27 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
If you want something cheap and cheerful, how about a ladder rack? However, The beauty of the Gootus mount in your link is that the wheels get tucked in close to the wall. Personally I don't think I'd be concerned about the stress on the cranks and pedals when you think of the force they are designed to take. I presume that if the mount is set up correctly then the actual weight of the bike is on the wheels so the pedal mount is doing no more than prevent the bike falling over. I don't have the math to calculate the force but you could do a rough experiment at home to test it. I can't imagine it would be more than a few pounds.
Old 03-17-23, 05:10 AM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I need the bikes to be as close to the wall as possible. And ideally as minimal as possible. It's a pretty small hallway. I do know they are made to withstand a lot of stress, but not really at an angle. Like I said, could be totally fine, just curious what the consensus would be.
Old 03-17-23, 09:27 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,439 Times in 1,738 Posts
If the goal is to store as many bikes as possible in a hallway, while leaving room to pass by, I recommend a vertical wheel mount that swivels.

Old 03-17-23, 12:35 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
I use wall mounts similar to what you pictured. The bikes like them. I like them. The angle at which the bikes sit might make them less than ideal for a hallway.

EDIT: If you do go this route, these are the ones you want:

...they're also sold in two and three-packs with a substantial savings over the single price.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 03-17-23 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-17-23, 06:01 PM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by terrymorse
If the goal is to store as many bikes as possible in a hallway, while leaving room to pass by, I recommend a vertical wheel mount that swivels.
Yeah the vertical isn't ideal for us. You can actually fit 3 bikes one on top of the other and it takes up the same amount of wall space. But we will just do two. We have the wall space for the 4 bikes to go one on top of the other. And since it's going to be displayed in our apartment, I think it looks better. The vertical would be good if I had a garage. But then again... if I had a garage... well I'd have to buy more stuff to fill it. To have a garage. haha. We have 3 other bikes that I'm not sure what we will do with at this point.

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
I use wall mounts similar to what you pictured. The bikes like them. I like them. The angle at which the bikes sit might make them less than ideal for a hallway.
EDIT: If you do go this route, these are the ones you want:
...they're also sold in two and three-packs with a substantial savings over the single price.
I see that because of the top bracket, that it sticks out more than I'd need. I'm assuming this is to accommodate wider handle bars. But I'm not putting my mountain bikes on the wall. Just the road bikes. Since I'm planning on making these myself... you can buy steel L-brackets for nothing... I could probably just make whatever I use to anchor either the pedal or handlebar to the wall... not stick out so much. Then I'd imagine the weight of the bike wouldn't be pulling on the anchor quite as much either. I feel like splitting the load up between the two bottom brackets vs. mostly pulling on the top... seems better?

If these wall mounts came with different size options for the top bracket... I'd just buy them instead of trying to make something myself.
Old 03-17-23, 06:04 PM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So no issues with compromising the bikes in any way? I know they seem like they'd be fine. But you never know. I see people clamp bike stands right onto their carbon frames. I know there is great debate about what they can handle. But why risk it if you don't have to.

And did you mount them all into studs? Just with the distance between tires... you don't necessarily have a stud where you need one. I'd assume the top anchor needs to be though.
Old 03-17-23, 07:34 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts
If you are going to make your own pedal bracket, maybe figure on turning the bars sideways for more clearance. Might be able to tuck it in closer that way.

are you renting? When I was, we had annual inspections, and storage was not allowed in hallways, per fire code.

Last edited by streetsurfer; 03-17-23 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-17-23, 08:55 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by bathedinshadow
So no issues with compromising the bikes in any way? I know they seem like they'd be fine. But you never know. I see people clamp bike stands right onto their carbon frames. I know there is great debate about what they can handle. But why risk it if you don't have to.

And did you mount them all into studs? Just with the distance between tires... you don't necessarily have a stud where you need one. I'd assume the top anchor needs to be though.
I mounted the main hook into a stud. The spots where the wheels rest are just in regular drywall anchors. Remember, we're talking about less than 25 lbs total weight spread across three points. Not a lot of weight on any single point on the wall, nor on the bike. I'll guarantee the crank sees far more stress with every pedal stroke while ridden than it does on the hook. A couple of "in action" pics for you:

Actual distance from wall to top tube as pictured: 14.5in/36.8cm
Hope this helps somewhat.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 03-17-23 at 09:03 PM.
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 03-18-23, 04:45 AM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by streetsurfer
If you are going to make your own pedal bracket, maybe figure on turning the bars sideways for more clearance. Might be able to tuck it in closer that way.

are you renting? When I was, we had annual inspections, and storage was not allowed in hallways, per fire code.
I am renting. I've never had an annual inspection, but easy enough to just take them down, hang some coats or something on them.
Old 03-18-23, 04:46 AM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I mounted the main hook into a stud. The spots where the wheels rest are just in regular drywall anchors. Remember, we're talking about less than 25 lbs total weight spread across three points. Not a lot of weight on any single point on the wall, nor on the bike. I'll guarantee the crank sees far more stress with every pedal stroke while ridden than it does on the hook. A couple of "in action" pics for you:

Actual distance from wall to top tube as pictured: 14.5in/36.8cm
Hope this helps somewhat.
Awesome, thanks for the pictures. It definitely sticks out quite a bit. I'll see what I can work out to limit that.
Old 03-18-23, 09:03 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
Google “wooden bike wall mount” and make your own for pennies.

You can get the bike as close to the wall as you want.

Last edited by smd4; 03-18-23 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-18-23, 10:09 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 956 Posts
... I'm planning on making these myself... you can buy steel L-brackets for nothing... I could probably just make whatever I use to anchor either the pedal or handlebar to the wall... not stick out so much. Then I'd imagine the weight of the bike wouldn't be pulling on the anchor quite as much either. I feel like splitting the load up between the two bottom brackets vs. mostly pulling on the top... seems better?
If you were making these yourself then I would make one that hooks the seatpost. Hooking the handlebar is not stable- the handlebars can turn
Old 03-18-23, 11:25 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

If you don't want to poke any holes in your rental apartment walls, you could go with a free-standing rack.

Last edited by terrymorse; 03-18-23 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-21-23, 06:53 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
They are not cheap, but I love the Steady Racks I have in my garage. I can store 6 bikes in relative comfort and takes up very little space. Pivot to either side as I need to get to the bikes or the storage above them. I like the model they have for bikes with fenders for my road bikes, the standard model for everything else. They get pretty close to the wall, just have to account for the pedals a little.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-27-23, 01:17 AM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah definitely not what I'm after. Somebody posted similar ones above. Fine for a garage, but way too bulky for inside. Bikes in the apartment are just something I have to deal with, but I like to make it look as visually pleasing as possible.

I have the metal plates for the tires, just haven't landed on the top bracket yet. Moving in this week so I'll find out soon enough.
Old 03-27-23, 08:21 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
For horizontal storage, I'd prefer one of the pedal style hangers like the photo in post #9. This seems to solve any concerns about hanging a carbon frame from the top-tube, and avoids anything touching the paint. You just need to be careful to not scratch the crank arms when inserting the pedal into the hanger.

I use the Topeak Swing-up to store bikes vertically inside, where I can "fold" them flat against the wall. The only contact point is the front wheel. This doesn't look as nice though and isn't a very good solution to "display" bikes.
Topeak Swing-up
Old 03-27-23, 10:57 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by msu2001la
For horizontal storage, I'd prefer one of the pedal style hangers like the photo in post #9. This seems to solve any concerns about hanging a carbon frame from the top-tube, and avoids anything touching the paint. You just need to be careful to not scratch the crank arms when inserting the pedal into the hanger.
There are no valid concerns about hanging a carbon frame from the top tube (other than maybe scratching the clear coat).

Carbon is not so delicate.

Old 03-27-23, 12:54 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
There are no valid concerns about hanging a carbon frame from the top tube (other than maybe scratching the clear coat).

Carbon is not so delicate.
Valid or not - I'm still not going to hang my carbon bike from the top tube.
Old 03-27-23, 12:57 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Valid or not - I'm still not going to hang my carbon bike from the top tube.
Do whatever you wish with your own bike. As long as you don't propagate the myth that carbon frames are delicate, knock yourself out.

Old 03-27-23, 12:59 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I keep a couple bikes in my office with this stand (I keep my CF bike on this stand without any concern - but it's not in this pic): https://www.amazon.com/2021-Cycle-Wo.../dp/B01MXZZ87J

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 06-16-23, 04:48 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Ana White just published a vertical home bike rack project.
https://www.ana-white.com/woodworkin...ical-bike-rack
Old 06-16-23, 06:43 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I like to make it look as visually pleasing as possible.
Start with the bike itself. Some vintage steel like this can really dress up a room:

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Likes For SurferRosa: