Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire pressure thoughts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire pressure thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-23, 04:57 PM
77record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So how are we able to help you on that basis?
You have helped me...
Likes For 77record:
Old 03-22-23, 05:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So how are we able to help you on that basis?
Weird. Guess he just wanted someone to agree it's OK to mash and ride. Heck, even leave the shirt at home if you like.
Old 03-22-23, 10:38 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I remember when we inflated our car tires to the max PSI on the sidewall (I'm old). Now we inflate them according to the yellow sticker on the door jamb. Why? Because that inflation spec is based the tire size recommended for the car and the weight it bears. This is in turn based on whatever criteria the car engineers use, I believe fuel mileage, ride comfort and tire wear. And the inflation is often/usually different between front and rear because of the distribution of the weight in the car.

Over inflation and under inflation can cause uneven tire wear.
Underinflation = less efficient fuel mileage (i.e. rolling resistance)
Over inflation causes less than optimal ride comfort.

Aaaaannnnnnyyyy way.... Whey wouldn't anyone at least give an effort to apply the same criteria apply to bike tire inflation pressure, i.e. weight and tire size? Why would you inflate based on the generic sidewall imprint rather than how much you and the bike weigh, what the tire size is and what is recommended by the tire company (or a similar expert)? Do you not want the best rolling resistance, comfort and tire wear?

Nah, it's such a hassle: you have to look it up on a chart....... ONCE! Oh, then you have to remember it and check it every couple of rides. I solved that problem for my spouse who, when she first got her road bike and then with her larger-tired gravel bike, and her occasionally used mountain bike, forgot what the front and rear pressure should be on all of them. So I made small, discrete, labels to put near the rear brake bridge and the front fork crown with numbers on them.

I'll bet the sharp youngsters who frequent this forum would remember without an old fogey's label!

Looking up the pressure and remembering the numbers or making labels, ONCE - what a hassle!

Ah, we anal-retentive dweebs. We're hung up on comfort, rolling resistance and tire wear and are willing to go through the incredible hassle of looking up proper tire pressure ONCE (and then inflating within a couple of pounds +/-)

Last edited by Camilo; 03-22-23 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-23-23, 03:57 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Is there a "magic number" for proper tire pressure that works for all cyclists ?...I don't think so.
Is there a "magic thumb" for "proper" tyre pressure that works for all cyclists?