Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

26er Frame with 26er tires to 27.5 wheelset Change

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 08-28-22, 06:27 AM
cherokeeronin

Bikes: SGM Charles Jerry 26er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good day Everyone!

I haven't been active in bikeforums in a while, been busy with work. I've made previous threads about Barend Shifters, Brifter Compatiblity, and Top Pull FDs. I've recently made my upgrade, from a 3x7 drivetrain to 3x9. This of course included changing my hubs to a cassette type, as well as 9 speed chain and an 11-36T cassette, and a 48T 3x chainring in the front. I'm happy with how this drivetrain goes, it works well and fits my needs esp during traffic, sprints, and high climbs.

The next thing I'm planning on is changing my 26er wheelset to a 27.5 wheelset. My 26er frame can accommodate right around 2.25in of 26er tires. (I am currently using 26er 1.60 tires). How thick can I go with 27.5 tires if ever? I only plan on using maybe a 1.5in ideally, or 1.75in 27.5 tires, reason being is that there are only a few city road tires in my market here in the Philippines for 27.5 tires.

What do you guys think? What is the max tire clearance that could fit? Has anyone ever tried making those changes and if so how would the ride feel differ?

It's night time by posting this. I will send a photo of my bike tomorrow continuing this thread.

I hope to hear what's everyone's thoughts are. I hope you have a good day!
Old 08-28-22, 04:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,385 Times in 4,145 Posts
Does your have bike rim or disc brakes? If disc, it's possible. If rim, the wheel won't align with the brake pads.

A 26" wheel plus 2.25" tire is 744.3mm in diameter.
A 27.5" wheel and 1.75" tire is 672.9mm in diameter.

so that 27.5" tire should fit in your frame, assuming its disc, since its smaller than the max diameter and narrower too.
Old 08-28-22, 04:44 PM
cherokeeronin

Bikes: SGM Charles Jerry 26er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Does your have bike rim or disc brakes? If disc, it's possible. If rim, the wheel won't align with the brake pads.

A 26" wheel plus 2.25" tire is 744.3mm in diameter.
A 27.5" wheel and 1.75" tire is 672.9mm in diameter.

so that 27.5" tire should fit in your frame, assuming its disc, since its smaller than the max diameter and narrower too.

Yes! The bike has disc brakes. If that is possible, I might as well have my next bike upgrade with the wheelset to 27.5"

Where did you get those mm measurements by the way? if you dont mind me asking
Old 08-28-22, 08:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,385 Times in 4,145 Posts
https://www.bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math