Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Cancer & chemo, rehab

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Cancer & chemo, rehab

Old 11-28-22, 10:59 PM
rsn48

Bikes: Ritchey Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cancer & chemo, rehab

I won't bore you with the long details but the short version is I was diagnosed with non-hogkins lymphoma - high grade and underwent 6 chemo treatments, three weeks apart. And none of you will be surprised that the chemo I had was ... well... a bit brutal. By the end of my last treatement - # 6 - (treatmens are cumulative, more poison in your system, more negative effects), I was incredibly weak, shaky hands, covid brain, dizzy, with a host of other symptoms to remember. I would be interested if any others have gone through a like minded torture and when did you feel okay about getting back on a bike. I still have an occassional dizzy moment so I know now is not the time for me. But I would love to hear from others of your experience and when you knew it was okay to ride again.
Old 11-29-22, 05:10 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 329 Posts
I was so weak at the end of my chemo that my 50 pound dog almost pulled me over.

I didn’t log it, but my recollection is that I was much better within a month. I started back with resistance training and I think that helped.

One surprising post-chemo symptom was swelling of my breasts (I’m male). It is not uncommon after chemo. They did do a mammogram and ultrasound just in case since breast cancer can happen to men too.

Bottom line is I bounced back pretty quickly.
Old 11-29-22, 07:25 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Thread moved from A&S to 50+ P&I.

Old 11-29-22, 10:52 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Was treated for CLL in 2015, a 6 mos. regimen. Its not a particularly onerous treatment as chemos go, but I was plagued with stomach/intestinal issues as well as fatigue. I was not riding during the last few months, tried to, then had a fall on the road bike and fractured a knee cap. The infusion nurse read me the riot act at that point and said if I got seriously hurt or ended up in the hospital and could not make the treatment, I would have to start treatment from the beginning. That sobered me up and I stopped cycling till treatment ended. As it developed, the chemo was difficult enough to see me with low energy for at least 6 mos, after until the medications are out pf the body, so I was unable to ride hard or long during that period. I am going thru a new type of treatment currently after the CLL came back, its 3 oral tablets of 2 different medications, once per day. One of the drugs has been increasingly giving me severe diarrhea, sometimes late at night or early in the morning, so I sometimes have to skip my morning group rides due to lack of sleep. As well, a side effect is fatigue so I so sometimes can only ride every other day. As well I have skin sores so the saddle sores and sensitive skin where I sit on a bike seat are a particular problem. I'm alive and will likely live thru this, so look forward to a year from know when my body gets back to normal.
Old 11-29-22, 12:18 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
With recovery, some things are measured in weeks, some in months, and some in seasons. Fatigue, especially, seemed to take a long time to leave. Chemo-brain, too. Exercise did not address fatigue for me, and just "hitting it to strengthen up" really just exhausted me without much benefit. I'd say it was six months before I felt like a ready-to-exercise guy, though I tried much earlier. It took even longer (a year?) before I was really back into productive fitness routines. But, for you, at this point, I do recommend pure "bike for fun" whenever your interest arises. Not training, no objectives, just "go ride a bike" -- not to be confused with "go ride THE bike." And, frankly, I'd go solo to avoid 'keeping up' or 'give it a push' or 'just a little more on this hill.' Your body just went through a war while you were a distant spectator (yeah, I know, felt pretty close). My doctors all said, "go slow, take your time," and I thought, "I'm sick of this; I want to get back." And you will, but the schedule is not really yours to make quite yet. But later, you'll be able to use this motivation that many others will never know.
Old 12-02-22, 01:45 PM
rsn48

Bikes: Ritchey Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry for no reply, the thread was moved and it took me a while to find it. The mod said it was in "ills & pills" but on the main "forums" page there is no such beast.

My last treatment of chemo was 1 September 2021 and it is now 2 December 2022 so 15 months of recuperation time. I'm still weaker but definitely very improved compared to the weeks after my last treatment. I'm just walking right now and I'm fortunate to live in an area with one of the best off leash dog trails in Canada, a beautiful tall forested area with some very old tall pines, with kilometers of walking trails. So far I'm only up to 7,000 steps a day and I have to sit down at least once as my back feels the walking after a while, not a sharp pain more like a very stiff pain. I started this thread as cancer is so common and I hope others will chime in to help me and others recovering from cancer. I am hoping by spring I will be able to ride, thinking 1 April 2023. Its covid brain that is keeping me off the bike currently. I think physically I could handle some short rides now, but its my foggy brain and very gentle dizzy bouts that keep me off.