Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ordered a Chinese frame?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Has anyone ordered a Chinese frame?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-23, 04:15 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Yoeleo frames have gone up substantially in just the last month or so. $1215 with seatpost and integrated bars with many color options was a steal. Now the minimum is $1590 and all but flat black and hemidium color are another $300. It's still not a bad deal, but I got pearl white for $1215, delivered in just over a month. They have increased the frame warranty from 3 years to 6 years.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 02-04-23 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-02-23, 06:25 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I am ordering a custom titanium frame from Waltly as it seems they are well regarded. Prices are up quite a bit from where they used to be (was quoted the equivalent of $1200 USD for frame and carbon fork, and that's with domestic Chinese shipping and not international) but still quite a bit cheaper than the Specialized aluminium frame I was considering (Allez Sprint) so not at all a bad deal.
Old 02-03-23, 10:38 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Chinese -

Like I said above, just riding along and they exploded. The hospital bills cost more than a new decent level name brand bike.

Take my chances with a frame? With the same potential quality and QA/QC, and no recourse from a name brand vendor - nope.

That's a frame?
Old 02-04-23, 04:19 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
That's a frame?
No, obviously not.

It’s a reason I wouldn’t buy a cheap Chinese frame. I just scaled up the lack of design, poor fabrication, complete lack of QC, and zero recourse from a respectable company - scaled it up from the bars to a frame. What reason would I have to believe that the frames will be any better quality?

Not saying that all the frames are bad, that Winspace looks good and gets decent reviews, but others don’t.

A broken collar bone, broken should cap, two broken ribs, busted up knee that is still giving me trouble a year later and may require surgery, and a wicked concussion- all because cheap carbon exploded while just riding along a bike path - that formed my opinion, an opinion not likely to change.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 02-04-23, 11:17 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 644 Posts
Nope, even for a steel frame I wouldn't buy one made in China because I don't know if I would be dealing with a real quality steel tubing regarding the frame ,that is the same for carbon wheels.
Old 02-04-23, 11:43 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The vast majority of carbon wheels and frames are made in Taiwan, but there are well known brands in China and that's what you need to stick with . For wheels, BTLOS is well known and reliable, offering many rim choices, all custom built. Expect $8-900 for wheels with Bitex hubs. I bought wheels with 29mm rim depth, 25mm internal width hookless rims with no spoke access holes and Bitex hubs when there was a free freight offer. No problems so far.
​​​​​
https://btlos.com/road-bike
Old 10-03-23, 01:09 PM
keylin1994

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Chemist
I am ordering a custom titanium frame from Waltly as it seems they are well regarded. Prices are up quite a bit from where they used to be (was quoted the equivalent of $1200 USD for frame and carbon fork, and that's with domestic Chinese shipping and not international) but still quite a bit cheaper than the Specialized aluminium frame I was considering (Allez Sprint) so not at all a bad deal.
I was going to buy a titanium frame from a local bike builder here in Phoenix. The sent me a Waltly drawing to mark up with any changes I wanted. This builder has a great reputation, but apparently they are buying their frames from Waltly...so that's a thumbs up in my book
Old 10-03-23, 01:11 PM
keylin1994

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Winspace SLC with the Hyper 50 wheels. Couldn't be happier with the whole setup. Delivers exactly as promised and it performs great. Stiff and light in all the right ways.
Likes For keylin1994:
Old 10-03-23, 03:05 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Purchased a Carbonda CFR696 3 years ago with no issues and sound quality from all appearances. Numerous manufacturers sell the same bike just rebranded, very happy.
Old 10-05-23, 06:55 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by keylin1994
I was going to buy a titanium frame from a local bike builder here in Phoenix. The sent me a Waltly drawing to mark up with any changes I wanted. This builder has a great reputation, but apparently they are buying their frames from Waltly...so that's a thumbs up in my book
I now have about 3600km on my Waltly and it's been great. Really love the bike. It looks great and rides well.

Likes For The Chemist:
Old 10-06-23, 05:03 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I have a vgc Campagnolo 2009 Centaur 10sp mechanical/calipers/English-BB groupset + wheels, cockpit etc that I'd like to use on a new, relatively inexpensive carbon frameset. I found this on Ebay and would like to know if it or another that somebody might recommend could work for me. I realize that bike tech has changed a good bit since 2009. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35462611218...Bk9SR47-nvDgYg
Old 10-06-23, 05:29 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Chinese - Like I said above, just riding along and they exploded...
Uhggg... Glad ya lived, that frame just looks terrible!

I guess this never happens with other then ChiCom frames?

Well, these carbon frames are still well outta my price range ChiCom or not. Plus, I am a fat guy ridding on Ravel.

Think I will take a serving of Columbus SLX please...
Old 10-06-23, 07:51 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
I have a vgc Campagnolo 2009 Centaur 10sp mechanical/calipers/English-BB groupset + wheels, cockpit etc that I'd like to use on a new, relatively inexpensive carbon frameset. I found this on Ebay and would like to know if it or another that somebody might recommend could work for me. I realize that bike tech has changed a good bit since 2009. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35462611218...Bk9SR47-nvDgYg
The bike Looks really nice ... not too heavy for an aero frame, and for people who like rim-brake builds, there it is .... However .... 28 mm tires Maybe, 25 recommended .... and is that with modern wide rims?

Also (and this is the deal-breaker for me) there is no geometry chart. No way to know if the bike would actually fit me .... no idea what parts I would need to build it up. Proprietary seat post ... how easy is it to get a replacement, and a replacement clam? How about the bottom bracket? is it Hollowtech II or press-fit?

The next thing I would look at would be buyer satisfaction .... and unless there are many hundreds of sales, that means nothing. most people will give a good review if the item shows up on time and isn't broken ... I want to know how the bike rides, what issues show up after a thousand miles, that sort of thing.

This is a "Get what you pay for, take your chances" proposition. You might get the bike and love it---and they are gorgeous---or you might run into a ton of problems building it ... or there may be QC issues where some of the frames delaminate after a while ....

I own a pair of Chinabombs. Both of them are excellent, and i ride them with great joy. I am not opposed to buying Chinese carbon. I assume this bike is a copy of a copy .... some of the frames companies like Flyxii or Dengfu or Workswell build five or eight years ago, and sold the molds and such as they brought in new models. Maybe these are excellent frames, just a little outdated ... maybe they are built excellently. I have no idea.

Before I bought my first Workswell I did a year of research, into the company and the model. I was not an early adopter .... I made sure the company had a history and a track record of good products and good service.

Just looking at the paint, it looks like the seller here has spent some csh ... but ont eh other hand, a picture can show anything. I would want to talk to people who had built and ridden this frame for a year before I would get involved ... and I definitely won't buy a bike without a geometry chart and full tech specs.