Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

your favorite lock you can easily carry

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

your favorite lock you can easily carry

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-23, 03:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
See: Hiplok D1000

Of course, while your lock may be resistant to an angle grinder, the object your locking to probably isn't.
Yep, the tests for that lock are impressive. One guy needed a portable generator to power his plug-in cutting tool to get through it. Even with that rig passersby ignored him.
Old 02-01-23, 06:29 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts

Sorry, was made for an earlier thread where someone said, all bike theft are owner's fault and they should be prosecuted, but wasnt used there.
Over here, Abus is the go-to brand, they come in every shape color and price range. I would personally buy a smaller folding lock, some also have an extra steel cord for helmet or keeping the thief busy for an additional 1.5 seconds.
But whoever steals the bikes in my area must operate with a lightsaber or laser beam. Saw a few of his "works" and they made any locks pathetic.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 02-01-23, 06:47 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
For my road bike rides, Kryptonite Mini 7, if I carry a lock at all. I don't often stop at stores on my road bike workout rides, usually carrying everything I need -- drinks, snacks, etc. If I do stop at a couple of familiar stores, I'll wheel the bike inside. They don't mind.

The Mini 7 will slip into jersey pockets although they tend to sag. It's cleverly designed to fit snugly in a standard jeans rear pocket, so I'm more likely to carry it on casual group rides and pub crawls with stops.

For my errand hybrid bike with racks and panniers, a massive On Guard U-lock and stout cable to thread through the wheels. The bike is already heavy, so I don't notice the extra weight.
This, including the Mini 7. I mostly ride without a lock and just carry all of my provisions from home. I will carry it if I am meeting someone for coffee or food somewhere. I did just put a nice full length frame bag on my bike that can carry the u-lock inside it. Before that I would use the messenger trick of feeding the U part of the u-lock between my shorts and a belt and it holds surprisingly well. I mostly ride in regular shorts (Mission Shorts from Ornot) these days as more of a casual get up.

Last edited by tricky; 02-01-23 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-02-23, 06:20 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Kryptonite narrow Long Shackle. Drops in the gap of Blackburn Mtn Racks without interfering. In the old days, I'd use a belt pouch
Likes For clubman:
Old 02-02-23, 10:05 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pal...4045#attr=2103

Palmy alloy u lock. Lightweight, pocket sized, looks like a regular steel u lock to the casual observer/thief. I wouldn’t use it overnight or in a very high risk area or situation.
Speaking of Soma (kind of), I finally figured out where they got their name. On their website, it just says something about being in a neighborhood in San Francisco.

I'm down in South San Francisco now, and while passing through San Francisco itself, I learned that it stands for South of Market (Street), or SoMa. And yes, that's so simple, they just forgot to 'splain it, on the web. 🙄😉

Back on topic, I just use a Kryptonite cable lock, with the keyed padlock that came with it. It's not all that sturdy, but works well enough for non-professional- thief-types. 😎
Old 02-02-23, 10:29 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Hiplock Z-lok is what I carry but I rarely use it. Just carry in case i need to use a restroom or to run into a convenience store, etc. I'm sure a gerbil could chew through it in half a minute.
Old 02-02-23, 10:51 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Can’t one of e-lectrical engineers on this list figure out a way for me to create an electric field around my bike using the generator hub? Just a little Pavlovian shock for those who dare touch it when parked.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-09-23, 02:08 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I had an otto lock belt type lock lock that was not bad, but it just froze up and I could not get it to open (and yes i remembered the combo ) so as i am in the market looking to see what people like and use
Just FYI. Seeing you had trouble with the OttoLock, as did I, and presumably others, I contacted them and mentioned it. I was told they had made some improvements and asked when I bought it -- and I could not find my receipt/invoice. They were cool about it, and "made me an offer I could not refuse" on purchasing a replacement. It arrived and it seems to work 1000% better! Looks the same, but they certainly changed something inside (or just improved production tolerances?)

For a quick restroom stop or perhaps a lunch in the middle of a ride, I am comfortable with this product.

I ride with a friend who rides a $7500 CF bike, but carries along a lock that weighs as much as a Sch**** Va***** fork & crankset.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 02-09-23, 02:32 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Can’t one of e-lectrical engineers on this list figure out a way for me to create an electric field around my bike using the generator hub? Just a little Pavlovian shock for those who dare touch it when parked.
Old 02-09-23, 03:03 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
This one certainly has potential...

Old 02-09-23, 03:49 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
This is good to know. I should have tried this approach, but got irritated and chucked it.

after looking at all the options, I ended up getting a new ottolock

I got the newer, slightly heavier and theoretically more secure hexband

I got 30" length...

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...and-cinch-lock

Old 02-10-23, 07:01 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
I have not tried this, but I have often thought of making a security device--not really a lock--from a pull-pin alarm and some ultra-thin kevlar cord. The idea would be to clip one end of the cord to the seatpost or some other convenient place and secure the other end to a stationary object like a railing, with the alarm rigged in such a way that when someone moves the bike, the line comes taut, pulls the pin, and activates the alarm. The cord ends could be secured with fishing swivels that have a sort of spiral device that a loop can be quickly engaged with. In theory, it would be be a quick setup. A determined thief could defeat it (like any lock), but doing so would require him to find and trace the line and figure out how to disengage the swivel while the alarm is blaring. Someday maybe I will actually do it.

Edit: The images below are obviously scaled differently--the swivels are maybe 1/2" long, and the alarm is maybe a couple of inches long..

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 02-10-23, 08:31 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I have not tried this, but I have often thought of making a security device--not really a lock--from a pull-pin alarm and some ultra-thin kevlar cord. The idea would be to clip one end of the cord to the seatpost or some other convenient place and secure the other end to a stationary object like a railing, with the alarm rigged in such a way that when someone moves the bike, the line comes taut, pulls the pin, and activates the alarm.

Oh, like the Bike Mine offered commercially for a short time.

Likes For tcs:
Old 02-10-23, 09:51 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
After stealing a bicycle in Breast
The cyclist became intestinally distressed
He couldn't find a loo
And had miles still to do
And his shorts were a bit squishy for the rest.

Yep... This would certainly get your attention. Of course I would mix a little Olio in with the smoke...
Old 02-10-23, 10:32 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Ha! Was that a real product? It's a spoof, right?

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 02-10-23, 11:25 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by jonwvara
Ha! Was that a real product? It's a spoof, right?
Pitched on Kickstarter.

https://www.dudeiwantthat.com/autos/...heft-alarm.asp
Old 02-10-23, 03:40 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
My Blackburn Local (medium) fits perfectly inside my Jansport Coltrane fanny pack:
Old 02-10-23, 04:31 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Originally Posted by tcs

Oh man... how many rimes i dreamed about having such a thing. Or a self closing wheel lock with a timer so the mofo would fly off after a few meters unless bike is unlocked with some sort of security key... or the hollow chain filled with cs gas in case someone cuts it etc....etc... Cartoonish childhood dreams i know, but I cant send armed gorillas to chase all my street picked beauties. To contribute to the thread after mr. T my favorite so far is really a chain. I wear it on short errands like a messenger bag - or Chewbacca ammo belt if you like it better - and never leave my bikes again for more than half an hour anywhere... which is a lot considering that the 20 eur battery operated dremel from Lidl could cut it and most of the expensive ones as well in a few ten seconds... even the police wouldnt have time to run there from the other side of the street
Old 02-10-23, 06:10 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by Lattz
Oh man... how many rimes i dreamed about having such a thing. . or the hollow chain filled with cs gas in case someone cuts it etc....etc...
https://www.skunklock.com/blog/how-t...ith-skunk-lock

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-10-23, 06:36 PM
tcs
Palmer

I mentioned that in post no.14, and was immediately rebutted with the predictable "thieves with powerful angle grinders with huge, fresh batteries and diamond dust cut-off wheels, wearing respirators and hazmat suits will steal your bike".

There have been reports of bike muggings - which you've got to admit would be much easier for the thief than some of the fanciful lock-defeat scenarios that have been pitched.
Likes For tcs:
Old 02-10-23, 06:45 PM
tcs
Palmer

Can we keep this C&V please.
Okay. Here's my 1977 Citadel (older than many of the C&V bikes on this forum). Despite being regularly assured that thieves with angle grinders or jacks or freon or BIC pens (yeah, that was actually a different lock from a different manufacturer with a different lock body) would steal my bike in the twinkling of an eye, this lock somehow kept my bike where I left it for three years at university, 30+ years bike commuting to work and on countless errands in the 45 years since.

It still works great and I still use it to lock up one of the bikes in the garage - a surprising percentage of bikes are stolen out of the owner's garage or off the porch, you know.

Likes For tcs:
Old 02-10-23, 07:25 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by tcs
I mentioned that in post no.14, and was immediately rebutted with the predictable "thieves with powerful angle grinders with huge, fresh batteries and diamond dust cut-off wheels, wearing respirators and hazmat suits will steal your bike".

There have been reports of bike muggings - which you've got to admit would be much easier for the thief than some of the fanciful lock-defeat scenarios that have been pitched.
apologies for not giving proper credit

and it has been noted....much easier to sell parts than bikes and it takes not a lot to cut through a frame and grab then part out

Old 02-13-23, 01:34 AM
Lattz

That's BADA55, even if it would get me into jail in no time here.
Old 02-13-23, 06:53 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
See: Hiplok D1000

Of course, while your lock may be resistant to an angle grinder, the object your locking to probably isn't.
Don't bother, unless it's perfect Graphene. it's only somewhat hammer resistant. Angle grind away.
Old 02-13-23, 10:33 AM
Juliussharpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a TiGr lock I like. Downside: price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.