Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...
View Poll Results: Are Landis' allegations true?
Landis' allegations are likely true
61.94%
Landis' allegations are likely false
23.51%
Don't know, too early to tell
14.55%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Old 08-02-10, 07:28 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hopsing08
Lance isn't doping now...but I'm sure he was. The problem is there is no hard proof. its all going to be hearsay and people's word vs. his word. unless they have him on video tape doing it or pictures of him doing it. Even documentation is sketchy. If you dont catch someone in the act its pretty hard to prove they are guilty.
I push the documentary in every thread like this. if you have reservations about people doping. watch Bigger Stronger Faster by Chris Bell.

Name your favorite athlete of all time. chances are, if he was any good, he doped and everyone who was his competition doped also. (meaning any type of drug to enhance his performance)
I'm sure he was but no proof. Now doesn't that just sound so smart. BTW, my fav is Jim Thorpe.
Old 08-02-10, 09:11 AM
Mr_Christopher
insert witty comment here

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thing is, the fed investigation is not going to be about proving if lance doped or not. It is going to be whether or not Team Postal sold bikes to fund their alleged drug habit. In short, was a crime of fraud (or whatnot) committed against the the United States Government. They (Team Postal) have already admitted selling bikes, so now the feds will simply follow the money trail. With lots of depositions to fill in the gaps and add drama.

Sure they will ask "did you dope?" but the real line of questioning will be "how did you fund your dope habit"?
Old 08-02-10, 09:17 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Christopher
Thing is, the fed investigation is not going to be about proving if lance doped or not. It is going to be whether or not Team Postal sold bikes to fund their alleged drug habit. In short, was a crime of fraud (or whatnot) committed against the the United States Government. They (Team Postal) have already admitted selling bikes, so now the feds will simply follow the money trail. With lots of depositions to fill in the gaps and add drama.

Sure they will ask "did you dope?" but the real line of questioning will be "how did you fund your dope habit"?
Since the bikes were most likely provided by Trek to the team, which means that no USPS funds were used to purchase the bikes would it be as big of a deal as if the bikes were purchased by the team? I realize that there were most likely no taxes paid when the bikes were sold but I don't know of anyone that pays taxes when they sell a used bike. However, I do realize that just because that is how everyone does it that it doesn't make it right.
Old 08-02-10, 04:11 PM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting that some are now saying that the investigation is targeting Michael Ball and not Armstrong.
Old 08-02-10, 05:24 PM
TechKnowGN

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The idea is to go after easy targets. Balls team was full of guys who are reputed dopers. If you look at Radio Shack, aside from the Landis allegation and the chinese guy they kicked off the team, you have a lot of "good guys" and domestiques who have never really been mentioned as part of doping outside of being associated with Lance. So if you go after Rock Racing, start there, you can probably get these shady folks to turn on the people they know were doing wrong and work your way up the chain for bigger fish. The hard part is proof. Hearsay will only get the Feds so far.
Old 08-02-10, 07:56 PM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What started out as an investigation by the Feds over fraud is now also a full investigation by USADA for doping. Just released from ESPN. Once any country's national anti-doping agency is involved in allegations of a professional rider's doping, then WADA becomes involved. See WADA bylaws. Lance Armstrong isn't the only one going down. Pat McQuaid, you better get that paper shredder out.
Old 08-05-10, 09:36 AM
alxra
I hate hate crimes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know from which cyclist the latest allegations are coming?
Old 08-05-10, 09:45 AM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alxra
Does anyone know from which cyclist the latest allegations are coming?

Um, you mean which cyclist(s)? They are former teammates and they articles out suggest that they will reveal themselves in due time, in front of a grand jury.
Old 08-05-10, 09:56 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
Um, you mean which cyclist(s)? They are former teammates and they articles out suggest that they will reveal themselves in due time, in front of a grand jury.
Testimony in front of a Grand Jury in not supposed to be made public.
Old 08-05-10, 10:30 AM
alxra
I hate hate crimes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
Um, thanks for the recap, and the extra "s", but I was looking for some indication of names and not just a synopsis or wordsmithing. But thanks anyway!
Old 08-05-10, 11:51 AM
mwchandler21

Bikes: T1K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if Lance was clean, but encouraged the rest of the team to dope. Once Lance became famous, doping for him personally would be a huge liability, but say if his domestiques (Floyd, et al) got caught it would not really damage him too much. Its plausible denial-ability for Lance.
Old 08-05-10, 12:00 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Testimony in front of a Grand Jury in not supposed to be made public.
Bull***t! It will be leaked. Just wait.
Old 08-05-10, 12:05 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mwchandler21
It wouldn't surprise me if Lance was clean, but encouraged the rest of the team to dope. Once Lance became famous, doping for him personally would be a huge liability, but say if his domestiques (Floyd, et al) got caught it would not really damage him too much. Its plausible denial-ability for Lance.
Not plausible. If Lance was clean, what was he doing seeing Dr. Michele Ferrari? Getting treatment for a hangnail? I don't think so. Think about that for a second.
Old 08-05-10, 12:48 PM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwchandler21
I have heard from a source -- whom I'll not name -- that during all those teamwide transfusions at Postal/Discovery Lance would, as riders lay on mattresses and the floor receiving blood, stand upon a table and deliver a rather forceful lecture in the style of Daniel Webster on the moral evil of doping. It is said the tempestuous beauty of his oratory moved Jose Azevedo and Chechu to tears.

Last edited by Devil; 08-05-10 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-05-10, 05:00 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 634 Posts
We've got multiple threads running on the same topic. I'm going to close this one. Let's pack up the comments and move on to a newer thread.