Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Stage 20: Saturday, July 23 43 km Grenoble

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Stage 20: Saturday, July 23 43 km Grenoble

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 10:34 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Onya Cadell. Great win. First Aussie to take yellow, just another in a line of champions - Phil Anderson showing the Europeans that us Aussies could do it and paving the way for the invasion - various Aussies for introducing the concept of the Super Domestique (quite a few of those blokes now running teams too) - Stuey O'Grady and Robbie McEwan taking the green jersey, now Cadell with the yellow. Hell, we'll even claim Yens Voigt to a small degree (I've spent too much time watching him race on velodromes here in Oz - lovely bloke). Yeah, I'm proud of our boys. We haven't had the dominance of Lance and ... that other American (sorry, it's 2am and I've had one scotch too many, but it's rude not to remember his name so I apologise) however there's a lot in world cycling to give us Aussies a warm, fuzzy feeling when we watch them race.

Actually, it's been a great TdF, the new mix has worked, especially for the green jersey.

Yes, I am pleased to see an Aussie get it and, knowing a reasonable amount about Cadell, am very pleased for him as well (he's not as often painted on these forums, though I can see how that impression is formed).

Funny thing is, while cycling is intensely nationalistic, it's also completely without borders - a paradox but true. You can yell and scream for your own countrymen yet feel no shame in admiring and supporting someone from another country.
Old 07-23-11, 10:36 AM
Kind of Blued

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SunSwingsLow
If Andy cant win it this year he will never win it.
AC - Gassed, injured and hit the deck 3 or 4 times and had bad luck with crashes in front of him
Wiggins, VDB, entire Radio Shack team and a bunch of other fast guys all crased out
Only 1 short ITT
Strongest team around him by FAR
A bunch of mountain top finishes
His closest contender is a 33yo never won the big one always cracked when it counted.
Not to mention their brotherhood is a huge advantage.

I agree. Unless Andy learns how to ride like a champion, good team or not, whether the chips are up or down, with no excuses, he'll always be a loser. Getting 2nd place three years in a row doesn't entitle you to anything.
Old 07-23-11, 10:56 AM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poulidor anyone?
Old 07-23-11, 10:59 AM
Kind of Blued

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poulidor also got third five times and won the Vuelta. Andy isn't worthy of that yet.
Old 07-23-11, 11:30 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kind of Blued
Poulidor also got third five times and won the Vuelta. Andy isn't worthy of that yet.
And as yet, we don't know whether he will be ... but we will in a few years time. One thing's for sure, the Schleck's will be part of the definition of the next few years of the TdF (and other aspects of pro cycling). Andy wouldn't be the first to show great promise of a TdF win but never manage it just as he wouldn't be the first to snipe around the edges before getting a win (Cadell springs readily to mind). The definition of a champion to to do it time and again, or maybe to be the perrenial 'man to beat' (Jan Ulrich?).

Dammit, I'm going to miss three week's sleep next year as well aren't I? And the year after that. And the ...
Old 07-23-11, 11:44 AM
NathanL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andy probably feels like he won, seems like they only wanted to beat Contador and they did. Maybe next year he won't brew over losing to Contador and will get on with the business of actually winning the tour.

Even the stage before the TT he still acted like he was trying to beat Contador instead of winning.
Old 07-23-11, 12:20 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Now that the TdF is over, strangely, I find myself really looking forward to sitting on the couch in my Izod clothing, sipping a Michelob Light and watching the ongoing battle between Will Powers and Dario Franchitti! I think there's some horse racing on too!

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-23-11, 12:22 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dstrong
Now that the TdF is over, strangely, I find myself really looking forward to sitting on the couch in my Izod clothing, sipping a Michelob Light and watching the ongoing battle between Will Powers and Dario Franchitti! I think there's some horse racing on too!
He always races me dirty. Hey, I wonder if my doghouse is insured.

My only wish for next year's tdf is that they manage to get more than 8 advertisers.
Old 07-23-11, 12:26 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least there weren't any professional bull riding spots this year.
Old 07-23-11, 12:40 PM
NathanL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
At least there weren't any professional bull riding spots this year.
I don't know why they wouldn't advetise it since they carry bull riding on their channel a lot. I'm not even sure Izod was paying for advertising during the Tour or just advertising on Versus since they are the title sponsor of Indy car racing now which is broadcast on versus.
Old 07-23-11, 01:46 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NathanL
I don't know why they wouldn't advetise it since they carry bull riding on their channel a lot. I'm not even sure Izod was paying for advertising during the Tour or just advertising on Versus since they are the title sponsor of Indy car racing now which is broadcast on versus.
Probably both with Izod. They pay for some plus they get the Indy car plug as well.

In the past, the bull riding was pushed and then they would air it right after the Tour broadcasts. They did the same with the competitive bbq series one year as well.
Old 07-23-11, 01:49 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Andy is calling Frank his 'soul mate' on Twitter. Not sure if that is due to English not being his native tongue, but it sounds a little strange, oh well. I guess they did achieve their goal of both being on the podium at the same time, so I have to give them props for that.
Old 07-23-11, 02:28 PM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is it possible to win the tdF now aday without being a good TT? The Schelecks are quite aweful. That wasn't even competitive.
Old 07-23-11, 02:42 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hyhuu
Is it possible to win the tdF now aday without being a good TT? The Schelecks are quite aweful. That wasn't even competitive.
No. Generally, the biggest time gains come from mountain top finishes and ITT. One must be a great climber and pretty good, if not great, TT rider. This has been the Schlecks' achilles heel for some time now.
Old 07-23-11, 02:49 PM
DrakeSuperbus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you need more michelob, are you going to drive to the store in the Saab you bought a few years ago.

It's born from jets, you know.
Old 07-23-11, 03:06 PM
dagna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrakeSuperbus
When you need more michelob, are you going to drive to the store in the Saab you bought a few years ago.

It's born from jets, you know.
Crap. Now I'm having flashbacks. Thanks a lot.
Old 07-23-11, 04:00 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
Andy is calling Frank his 'soul mate' on Twitter. Not sure if that is due to English not being his native tongue, but it sounds a little strange, oh well. I guess they did achieve their goal of both being on the podium at the same time, so I have to give them props for that.
Hey, siblings in constant contact that actually get along well. Most families would kill for that.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-23-11, 05:04 PM
rockpilex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
La Vuelta starts in less than 30 days...go ride your bike!
Old 07-23-11, 05:19 PM
wxduff

Bikes: 08 Cannondale CAAD 9 upgraded to ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least I'm happy they are advertising for the USA Pro Cycling Challenge. It could be a start of a great thing.
Old 07-23-11, 06:14 PM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
No. Generally, the biggest time gains come from mountain top finishes and ITT. One must be a great climber and pretty good, if not great, TT rider. This has been the Schlecks' achilles heel for some time now.
Then it seems their chance of ever winning a tdF is slim, especially Contador shows up in form. Unless they work to become a better TT.
Old 07-23-11, 07:56 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He was 17th out of 167. He is certainly not great or even very good, but quite awful is a bit much. Better to say that on a day when Cadel was excellent, Andy was only middling in a race where he couldn't afford it. There was no guaratee that such would be the case (see Carlos Sastre). Now I certainly would agree that we all could predict that this would be his problem (albeit with Contador as the foil), so he certainly knew he had to train for the TT, I presume he did, and middling my be the best he'll ever be.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 07-23-11, 08:00 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Then it seems their chance of ever winning a tdF is slim, especially Contador shows up in form. Unless they work to become a better TT.
Well in the past guys like Gino Bartali, who was not a good time trialist, used to launch tremendous attacks in the mountains in order to pad his lead enough to win the TDF. In those days there were 2 time trials, and they were much longer, so it was probably harder for Bartali to do. However, the main difference was that he absolutely crushed his rivals in the mountains.
Old 07-23-11, 08:01 PM
Mr_Christopher
insert witty comment here

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Cadel's bunny hop move on youtube or memorialized elsewhere?
Old 07-23-11, 08:12 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Cuddles put over 2:30 on Andy right? 2 minutes and 30 some odd seconds over 44k. Leopard should get a refund what a waste.

That was an old fashioned butt kicking if I ever saw one.

But AS did beat AC so I guess it made sense to focus on AC.
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 07-23-11, 08:35 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
He was 17th out of 167. He is certainly not great or even very good, but quite awful is a bit much. Better to say that on a day when Cadel was excellent, Andy was only middling in a race where he couldn't afford it. There was no guaratee that such would be the case (see Carlos Sastre). Now I certainly would agree that we all could predict that this would be his problem (albeit with Contador as the foil), so he certainly knew he had to train for the TT, I presume he did, and middling my be the best he'll ever be.
I was going to say that. +1 He was good, just not good enough today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.