Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to spot a fake helmet

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-16, 12:41 AM
maltess2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there a way to identify a fake helmet? they made them in China and they seem pretty similar to the real ones. I was about to buy a Pos Octal from a guy and I am not sure if this coudl be a fake
Old 07-19-16, 01:06 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it's labeled POS its probably fake
Old 07-19-16, 01:56 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Buy it from E-Bay direct from China, Alibaba, or AliExpress, and you're rolling the dice.

Walk into a bike shop in the USA or Europe and buy a helmet off the shelf, and it is probably legit.
Old 07-19-16, 02:17 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those helmets are about 200€ new here. What is he asking for it? If the price seems too good to be true, then it probably is.
Old 07-19-16, 02:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
Those helmets are about 200€ new here. What is he asking for it? If the price seems too good to be true, then it probably is.
I'm seeing the POC Octal online.
A few listed as "Race Day" for about $120
And others for about $240.
MIPS may be an expensive additional option.

Hopefully those are legit. Look at the stickers on the helmet carefully, and if they appear odd, then ask for a refund.
Old 07-19-16, 03:28 AM
maltess2

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I am getting the POC anymore. I found a guy who is selling a brand new Protone, he is selling this because he wants to buy the new Prevail. I am interested in the helmet but he does not have an invoice since it was a present from his wife, the guy seems legit but you never know.

If I receive the helmet and is a fake I thin I can go to the police as a fraud, since I got his phone number. The thing is, How can I determine if the the helmet is a fake or not? chinese fakes seem to be very well made in their appearance.
Old 07-19-16, 04:13 AM
k_kibbler

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another poster took a golf ball to his helmet and says it would be difficult to see the damage on it. Authenticity is not the only variable. Buy from a reputable retailer and sleep more soundly.
Old 07-19-16, 04:40 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Scroll about half way down the page

To Catch a Counterfeiter: The Sketchy World of Fake Bike Gear | Bicycling

Old 07-19-16, 04:43 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look CLOSELY at finishing and details - the straps, warning labels, care instructions, etc. Absence of secondary labeling, loose untrimmed threads, mis-alignments, excess glue, etc., are generally a dead giveaway. Never mind forgeries, these are signs of quality control and care (or lack thereof) that one should look for regardless, especially if buying second-hand.
Old 07-19-16, 05:02 AM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by maltess2
Well, I am getting the POC anymore. I found a guy who is selling a brand new Protone, he is selling this because he wants to buy the new Prevail. I am interested in the helmet but he does not have an invoice since it was a present from his wife, the guy seems legit but you never know.

If I receive the helmet and is a fake I thin I can go to the police as a fraud, since I got his phone number. The thing is, How can I determine if the the helmet is a fake or not? chinese fakes seem to be very well made in their appearance.
If you're asking about this, you have no business buying a helmet on ebay.
Old 07-19-16, 05:51 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
If you want to save some money, buy a cheaper model. Why would you risk it on something meant to protect your head? I guess 'getting a good deal' is more important than brain damage.
Old 07-19-16, 06:28 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Why risk it. Just buy from a retailer and know you got an authentic one.
Old 07-19-16, 07:00 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
On the other hand, why would you buy a MUSHROOM helmet (fake or not)? That helmet is ridiculously huge - imho.
Old 07-19-16, 07:48 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's a POC Octal, not a POS.

They're popular helmets, so they get faked a lot. In fact, I've seen some recently on ebay that weren't even the right colors.

Still, buying a helmet used can be a bit sketchy, as you never know if it's been crashed or not, so I'd be more concerned about that personally.

The Octals are a bad ass helmet and can be found for cheap online from reputable sellers. Just save your money and buy the real thing.

Old 07-19-16, 05:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
IMO, buying a used helmet is even worse than buying used shorts. With shorts you just have the yuck factor. With a helmet, you'll never know if it has taken a hit and has been compromised. Buy your helmet new, from a reputable source.
Old 07-19-16, 06:38 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
IMO, buying a used helmet is even worse than buying used shorts. With shorts you just have the yuck factor. With a helmet, you'll never know if it has taken a hit and has been compromised. Buy your helmet new, from a reputable source.
You'd think that people would have enough integrity to discard the helmet if it was involved in a crash and not try to pass it off to another person for profit. It's pretty despicable, if you ask me.

Good to 'see' you here again, shelby, if you're the same one from TN.
Old 07-19-16, 07:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Thanks- been checking in some again. Mods finally got rid of an annoying troll and a couple of the others seem to have calmed down. Miserable heat down here, really inhibits my riding
Old 07-20-16, 01:10 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by maltess2

I'd be more worried about the helmet being in a crash more than it being a fake. In either case, not worth the bargain hunting. Get a new helmet on sale from the usual places (competitive cyclist, performance, et al) and save the screaming deals for no-name carbon wheels ....
Old 07-21-16, 07:42 AM
CrankyNeck

Bikes: Trek 2300

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The fact is, most cheap helmets you buy in a department store protect your head about as well as the $250 ones. Now I'm not saying you should buy one of those, but spending tons of money on a helmet doesn't really increase your safety in a crash. Find something from a legit store that you like with a price you can deal with and worry less about the name on the helmet.
Old 07-21-16, 08:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
The other factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is fit. Helmets and shoes are something that I wouldn't buy online unless it was a direct replacement (brand-for-brand, at the very least, but preferably model-for-model) for something I'd previously owned. YMMV, as some people have greater patience for return shipping, but it doesn't sound as if you're even dealing with an online retailer that would be able to accommodate size/fit exchanges.
Old 07-21-16, 09:01 AM
sugarbaker

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also recommend buying a helmet from a local dealer. A used helmet, even if it was just dropped on the floor should go in a trash can. Buying one from someone other than a respected/known shop is foolish and you might as well ride without a helmet if you're willing to take that risk for esthetics. And as another post mentioned, even less expensive helmets are certified to a minimum standard (in the United States, and I suspect elsewhere, but can't speak knowledgably about other countries).
Old 07-21-16, 09:59 AM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Bikes: '17 Custom Stumpjumper Expert 6FiddyFatty / 2021 Sirrus X 5.0

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
A helmet simply dropped on the floor is not compromised. In the instance of a simple drop, the EPS does not compress, it flexes, unless there is a 12 pound (give or take) noggin' inside that helmet for the forces to react against. A blow to a helmet WITH a head in it is grounds for replacement.
Old 07-21-16, 10:20 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Look CLOSELY at finishing and details - the straps, warning labels, care instructions, etc. Absence of secondary labeling, loose untrimmed threads, mis-alignments, excess glue, etc., are generally a dead giveaway. Never mind forgeries, these are signs of quality control and care (or lack thereof) that one should look for regardless, especially if buying second-hand.
Thing is...Giro for instance has had models and model years full of helmets with excess mold flashing left over and generally poor finish QC.

Best thing, buy from legit dealers and buy new. Forgers have gotten damned good at what they do.
Old 07-21-16, 04:20 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Thing is...Giro for instance has had models and model years full of helmets with excess mold flashing left over and generally poor finish QC.

Best thing, buy from legit dealers and buy new. Forgers have gotten damned good at what they do.
Interesting. Maybe if one wants one of those Giro helmets, then the thing to do is watch out for suspiciously neat ones.
Old 07-21-16, 07:20 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I have about 4 helmets in my current rotation, but no fake ones (I think). But now I'm intrigued and want one.

Can somebody post links?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.