Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Keep your head up

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Keep your head up

Old 09-26-19, 11:23 AM
anthony714

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Keep your head up

As a moderate cyclist who didn't get a car till I was 17, I had to learn that cars do not care about you. I had to be aware of them, learn their mannerisms, and predict their behavior based on previous experiences. Like how a driver WILL NOT look both ways before exiting a parking lot making a right turn. If you were coming from the opposite direction, 99% of the time they do not even know you are there.

And always, always remember. Right or wrong, their fault or your fault, a car will always win. Keep your head up when you ride.
Old 09-26-19, 11:36 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
This is a concept from motorcycle safety, but it's applicable to cycling as well.

https://www.motorcycle.com/rider-saf...ity-88228.html
Old 09-26-19, 01:45 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by anthony714
As a moderate cyclist who didn't get a car till I was 17, I had to learn that cars do not care about you. I had to be aware of them, learn their mannerisms, and predict their behavior based on previous experiences. Like how a driver WILL NOT look both ways before exiting a parking lot making a right turn. If you were coming from the opposite direction, 99% of the time they do not even know you are there.

And always, always remember. Right or wrong, their fault or your fault, a car will always win. Keep your head up when you ride.
The other thing you should have learned was to cycle in the direction of traffic. Then that motorist will be looking at the direction you are coming from.
Old 09-26-19, 02:52 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts

That doesn't just apply to cyclists, but pedestrians as well.
Old 09-26-19, 04:41 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
The other thing you should have learned was to cycle in the direction of traffic. Then that motorist will be looking at the direction you are coming from.
You have assumed the other poster actually meant to write what they wrote. I no longer do so. Chances are good they do not ride salmon, but meant to say that a driver making any kind of turn out of a parking lot will only be scanning for objects larger than a Geo Metro and will thus overlook the presence of most bicycles until they are practically on top of them.
Old 09-26-19, 04:54 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You have assumed the other poster actually meant to write what they wrote. I no longer do so. Chances are good they do not ride salmon, but meant to say that a driver making any kind of turn out of a parking lot will only be scanning for objects larger than a Geo Metro and will thus overlook the presence of most bicycles until they are practically on top of them.
Yup earlier this year, while making a left turn, well into turn, from terminus of bike trail; a car from opposing parking lot just pulled up to exit at speed and right turned across my arc without really even slowing down. I was aware and able to take evasive action. Driver did see me at last second, paced me for a few moments and apologized profusely. While still unnerving, it is just one example I sometimes use for city vs suburban riding. City drivers on average are more tolerant and recognize when they make mistakes. Suburban drivers are abusive. Even when they are at fault it's really 'your fault' for being in street in the first place.
Old 09-27-19, 05:54 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Also, don't ride sidewalks. Many years ago, my 18+ year old son was riding on a sidewalk on a one way street. He was going opposite of traffic. A lady was making a left turn onto the one way street as he approached from her left. She pulled out and went right into him. Messed the bike up pretty badly but he was okay.

On a side note, she didn't even call her insurance company even though the police were called and a rescue squad showed up on the scene. Her insurance company gave us the run around until my mother in law called and got a hold of a supervisor. At the mention of lawsuit for $20,000 for fixing his bike and the pain and suffering that their client caused a visually impaired (my son is legally blind) young man who was just trying to renew his bus pass so he could get to and from the local college, they readily agreed to a $2,500 settlement f we would just go away. His bike was a Diamondback Sorrento which was a real cheap bike. His new bike was much much better.
Old 09-27-19, 06:57 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 09-27-19, 08:03 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Another reason to incorporate bike lessons and on-road bike experience as a requirement for a driver's licence.

But until that happens, keep your trigger finger on your bike horn.

Last edited by Daniel4; 09-29-19 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-29-19, 01:08 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
That motorist still won't see you. They are only looking for "threats" to their potential turn. You are invisible. You pose no threat, you are not even moving at the right speed to trigger their mental filter. That motorist will look right through you. You are a ghost. Keep THAT in your mind.
Old 09-30-19, 11:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
That doesn't just apply to cyclists, but pedestrians as well.
Which part? Many jurisdictions have laws requiring one to walk against traffic when there is no sidewalk.
Old 09-30-19, 03:01 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Which part? Many jurisdictions have laws requiring one to walk against traffic when there is no sidewalk.
I was thinking of even pedestrians on the sidewalk walking the opposite direction of traffic. Many motorists making right turns do not bother looking right. They will look to their left, then when the lane is clear they hit the gas, and then they look to the right. If a pedestrian wasn't paying attention and happen to walk in front of that car, well, you get the picture. My buddy was hit this way by a pickup truck and was pinned under it for two hours. And I see this all the time as well, as a pedestrian. Shake my head every time.
Old 09-30-19, 07:59 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I was thinking of even pedestrians on the sidewalk walking the opposite direction of traffic. Many motorists making right turns do not bother looking right. They will look to their left, then when the lane is clear they hit the gas, and then they look to the right. If a pedestrian wasn't paying attention and happen to walk in front of that car, well, you get the picture. My buddy was hit this way by a pickup truck and was pinned under it for two hours. And I see this all the time as well, as a pedestrian. Shake my head every time.
Last month I took a long 45 minute walk along Danforth Avenue. Several times just when I was about to step off the curb at the pedestrian walk signal, a right turning driver raced in front.

Good thing I make it a habit of looking over my shoulders before making my move. When I step off the curb, I look left at the nearest car. As I cross over to the middle of the crosswalk, I look and stare at any left turning cars. Sometimes, they try to race you and cut you off. As I make it to the other side, I keep my eye on the right turning car trying to cut you off too.

I started this habit since I started bike commuting. A cyclist does have to look out for all the bad drivers. Sometimes they floor the gas right after you pass and that could be dangerous too. Your reaction to the sudden noise may just freeze you as you don't know if the driver is trying to cut you off or race behind you. A mistime or misjudgment by the driver, may result in a collision.
Old 10-01-19, 09:13 AM
mcours2006

I have become a more aware pedestrian as well because of all the $H!t I see motorists to while cycling.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 10-01-19, 09:18 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
All true. Another thing I've noticed is that when approaching a stop sign, nearly every driver looks straight ahead until they reach the stop line, and only then do they scan left and right. Unlike cyclists, who are always (or should always) anticipate traffic as soon as possible. How often have you come to an intersection and tried to see around the corner? I think most of us do that. Drivers: only focus on what is directly in front.
Old 10-01-19, 02:05 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
all true. Another thing i've noticed is that when approaching a stop sign, nearly every driver looks straight ahead until they reach the stop line, and only then do they scan left and right. Unlike cyclists, who are always (or should always) anticipate traffic as soon as possible. How often have you come to an intersection and tried to see around the corner? I think most of us do that. Drivers: Only focus on what is directly in front their cell phone.
fixt.
Old 10-01-19, 03:47 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
fixt. Drivers only focus on what is directly in front their cell phone.
Paranoia is neither cute nor clever.
Old 10-01-19, 06:34 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Keep your head up

I occasionally have to remind myself to look farther ahead, at least about 20 to 40 feet, than just focus on the immediately preceding (about 10 feet) road surface. Of course I incessantly glance a little higher up and further afield to watch traffic, and the landscape immediately adjacent to the road, including intersections.

Besides looking, you've got to pay attention and anticipate. (link).

I have also posted about a collateral advantage to keep your head up:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work.

I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving. So when the commute is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view.

I particularly seek novelty on my long Saturday rides...
Old 10-01-19, 07:19 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
... Another thing I've noticed is that when approaching a stop sign, nearly every driver looks straight ahead until they reach the stop line, ..
What's wrong with this? My issue is how many drivers don't first stop at the stop line.
Old 10-01-19, 08:53 PM
Daniel4

Here's another interesting but tragic story. It's about a missing or negligent dog walking service.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...cars-1.5300961

But you know what else I picked up on? No mention of the three drivers that ran over the dog (as of Oct. 1, 22:54 EDT). It's a great dane so you can't miss it.

On the flip-side, the dog was cared for by three cyclists before the owner took her to emergency.
Old 10-01-19, 10:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
What's wrong with this? My issue is how many drivers don't first stop at the stop line.
Because they aren’t anticipating cross traffic.
Old 10-01-19, 10:50 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
All true. Another thing I've noticed is that when approaching a stop sign, nearly every driver looks straight ahead until they reach the stop line, and only then do they scan left and right. Unlike cyclists, who are always (or should always) anticipate traffic as soon as possible.

How often have you come to an intersection and tried to see around the corner? I think most of us do that. Drivers: only focus on what is directly in front.
Because they [the drivers] aren’t anticipating cross traffic.
Who cares? Among my most important safety aphorisms:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
  1. Make yourself as visible as possible,and assume nobody sees you.
  2. ...
  3. You don’t have the right-of-way until the other yields it to you(learned from my teacher in driver’s ed)
  4. …. 9
I wear a helmet and use a blinkie. But the most important safety precaution is to anticipate.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-02-19 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-01-19, 11:28 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Another reason to incorporate bike lessons and on-road bike experience as a requirement for a driver's licence.
You cannot be serious ...

Originally Posted by Daniel4
But until that happens, keep your trigger finger on your bike horn.
I'll keep my trigger finger on my brake lever, thank you. That's where you should keep yours as well. Noise pollution does no one any good. If you were even half right in thinking your way, thousands of cyclists would be dead and buried. That we are not is testament to the fact that alerting motorists to a fait acompli does nothing, reacting instantly to the fait acompli with an appropriate defensive or evasive maneuver, without panic or emotional overhang is the mark of a true road warrior that can expect a long run.
Old 10-02-19, 03:19 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Because they aren’t anticipating cross traffic.
I must be missing something. Wouldn't they look once they've come to a stop?
Old 10-02-19, 09:36 AM
caloso

I must be missing something. Wouldn't they look once they've come to a stop?
Yes. That's the issue. They don't scan before the stop, they roll up looking straight ahead, and only then do they scan. It's poor situational awareness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.