Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

compact-folding gravel-capable folding bike options

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-20, 03:45 PM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Is there a bike out there (available in the US) that costs under $2,000 with 20" (406) wheels and at least 44mm tires, which folds compactly and can handle hardpack, gravel, and bumpy dirt trails? I'm looking for a very compact folding bike that would fit beside a second folding bike in a small car's small trunk. Something like a Change hybrid's seat-tube fold, but with 20" wheels, would be perfect. The Bike Friday Diamond Llama's fold, and the fold of a Xootr Swift, are too sprawling if the space in the trunk has to be shared with a second bike.

Last edited by timo888; 11-23-20 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-23-20, 04:49 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Call Bike Friday and see what they can do for you. As they are custom built bikes they could build exactly what you want. They have an 800 number and are not high pressure of pushy. Roger
Old 11-23-20, 07:47 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
I can't see a Change type folder (even with 20" wheels) being noticeably smaller than a BF. The Change package is very thick when it folds.

The Xootr does tend to sprawl, I admit. I have one, and it seems to take up most of the trunk in my Accord.

I fit about a 40mm tire on my old Dahon Speed (1.75" Power Block with fenders, I could do a 1.95" PB without fenders, IIRC). It packs up a bit smaller, but I wouldn't want to ride many rough roads on it. I'd much rather have a BF. They ride so much more like normal bikes.
Old 11-24-20, 02:08 PM
timo888 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy
I can't see a Change type folder (even with 20" wheels) being noticeably smaller than a BF. The Change package is very thick when it folds.
As I recall it is 15" thick. But thick is OK. Two such bikes could be stood up in the trunk, side by side. 1.75" (44mm) tires like the Schwalbe Marathon sometimes rub the fender mount nubbin on my old Birdy BD-1. Otherwise, a Birdy New Classic would probably fit the bill.

Last edited by timo888; 11-24-20 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 02:12 PM
timo888 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
Call Bike Friday and see what they can do for you. As they are custom built bikes they could build exactly what you want. They have an 800 number and are not high pressure of pushy. Roger
Wouldn't a custom fold be a very pricy option?
Old 11-24-20, 03:44 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
The closest to your specs is a Birdy GT but wheels are 18"/ETRTO355 and 2KUSD isn't enough !

Most Bikefriday also cost more than 2KUSD.

Current Birdy models accept 50mm Big Apple with front and rear fenders (Big Apple + fenders is actually the standard equipment of the R&M Birdy Rohloff).

Last edited by Jipe; 11-25-20 at 03:35 AM.
Old 11-24-20, 04:14 PM
rhenning

Timo888 I think you would be surprised at the price range they Bike Friday has. If you order everything yes you can spend $5000 but they have bikes for way less than that. Because the are custom the cost depends on your needs/wants. They also trade in their old bikes when people want a new bike and those are significantly cheaper. I bought mine in 1994 as a trade in for 50% the cost of a new one. Looking on the net won't help you because most stock bike are compromises. It will cost you nothing to make the phone call and find out. They never high pressure but do find out what you truly want. You would also have a bike made to fit your body not one that may be able to fit you with a lot of work. Roger
Old 11-24-20, 05:43 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I spent a lot of time looking into the BikeFriday New World Tourist. The only thing about it that was a deal-breaker, for me, was the fact that it's not roll-able while in folded mode. I eventually decided on the Dahon Speed 9 but will have to spend just as much on modifications as the original cost of the bicycle, which puts it in the price of the NWT. If roll-able while in folded-mode is not necessary for you, look into the NWT. It's got a chromoly frame/fork and I'm pretty sure that it uses 100mm hub on front and fits 44mm tires. That would make it fine for the terrain you're talking about.

Last edited by Nyah; 11-24-20 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-25-20, 04:40 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
How is a custom BF going to change the folded size? I don't see them making a new folding mechanism as a one-off for a single customer.

BF offers "custom" sizing, but really this is just the boom tube, seat tube, and stem riser lengths. They don't actually do custom geo, as far as I know.

Originally Posted by rhenning

Last edited by seat_boy; 11-25-20 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-25-20, 08:12 AM
rhenning

Seat boy in my case my 1994 Bike Friday was built with the same dimensions as my as my 1974 Paramount. If I do not look down at the bike while riding I wouldn't be able to tell you which one I was riding. They both feel the same on and after a 50 mile ride, The Paramount doesn't fit in suitcase but the Bike Friday does. Roger