Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

How to get Dahon bicycle to use 100mm front hub?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 12-14-20, 01:52 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

I feel stuck having to use 74mm hubs on my Dahon Speed. Being able to use the same 100mm hub standard that the vast majority of non-folding bicycles uses would widely open up the choices in wheels (and make it easier to get replacement parts for them). I have come up with the following solutions:

1. Get a disc brake fork. Until I find one with a thru-axle though, this option is out.

2. Get a mini-velo fork with 1.125" steerer tube, cut it down to fit the folding bicycle and then tap a thread inside that is compatible with the compression bolt.

3. Persuade Dahon (or the like) to start producing forks that accept the 100mm standard hub. If disc brake, then include the thru-axle.

Option number 3 would be most-preferable to me, assuming that it would include the magnet holder.

Any other way to do this?
Old 12-14-20, 02:06 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
What's wrong with a disc fork with a QR? I ran this for years on my mountain bike before through axles. It works fine with a good QR and if you clamp it correctly.

Or just buy a Bike Friday One thing I really like about BF is their use of normal bike parts.
Old 12-14-20, 02:49 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Originally Posted by seat_boy
What's wrong with a disc fork with a QR? I ran this for years on my mountain bike before through axles. It works fine with a good QR and if you clamp it correctly.
I own a bicycle with disc and thru-axle and it never has the problems that I see people having. That tells me that disc brakes without thru-axles are not ready for public consumption. People should not buy disc bicycles/frames/forks until thru-axles become the norm.

Or just buy a Bike Friday One thing I really like about BF is their use of normal bike parts.
I considered Bike Friday before I got the Dahon. I like everything about BF, except that they are a disassemble-folding hybrid model, instead of rolling-while-folded model. My priority for a folding bicycle is more about keeping the bicycle with me when in establishments, etc, and less about being able to pack it into a suitcase. If BF adopted the non-patentable folding system that Brompton employs, it would be a winner, especially if it was for a 20-incher with drop-handlebars.
Old 12-15-20, 09:42 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Or: Option 4

employ a frame builder to revamp an existing fork or custom make a fork to your specs.

just an idea. I have the same go around with getting a better fork for my Nano but my specs involve lightening it up.
Old 12-16-20, 05:23 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Buy a BMX fork and install. This Ciao was rescued by this method. Its long gone from my fleet.

Likes For zebede:
Old 12-16-20, 11:38 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
If your priority is 100mm hubs, then why focus on the thru-axle? 100mm disc-brake hubs have been used successfully for years, and will be for many years to come.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 12-16-20, 02:00 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Originally Posted by Zebede
Buy a BMX fork and install. This Ciao was rescued by this method. Its long gone from my fleet.
That's great. Did you have to modify the BMX fork at all to get it to work? Also, do you have a source for that fork you used? I've found almost no BMX forks that facilitate a V-brake.
Old 12-17-20, 06:41 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
That's great. Did you have to modify the BMX fork at all to get it to work? Also, do you have a source for that fork you used? I've found almost no BMX forks that facilitate a V-brake.
Its been a while, the fork most likely was from Niagara. It was a traditional external threaded fork tube. The Dahon Ciao and some other Dahons use a proprietary system similar to a threadless headset, but instead of a star fangled nut, they internally thread the fork tube and use a large nut with a flat top like a top cap. The BMX fork could be clamped by the stem (Like a threadless system) but obviously had no internal threads so I used a BMX headlock.

The bike was given to family in Guatemala City and I wanted it to be safe durable and low maintenance. It was a solid fix and worked well. Were planning to go back this summer, I may get a chance to ride the bike and report back.
Old 12-29-20, 01:06 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
3. Persuade Dahon (or the like) to start producing forks that accept the 100mm standard hub. If disc brake, then include the thru-axle. Option number 3 would be most-preferable to me, assuming that it would include the magnet holder.
But Dahon are already doing this. My recently acquired Hemingway is on the 100mm standard up front (I know that because I measured it,) and it's got QR, disk brakes, and the magnet. The brakes do squeak, yes, but that has little or nothing to do with the fact that it uses the venerable QR as a wheel retaining system and everything to do with them being budget-oriented (to avoid using the word cheap) entry level brakes and my own failure to bed them in properly on day one. So...

5. Sell the Speed and buy a Hemingway/Horize, Launch, or any other modern Dahon with disk brakes that you like.

It's probably only a matter of time before even the likes of the Speed and Mu shift to disk brakes (and, more likely than not, abandon the 74mm standard made famous by Brompton for the universal 100mm standard, and - who knows? - maybe even thru axles) and you won't feel stuck anymore.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 12-31-20 at 02:31 AM.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 01-01-21, 05:29 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Originally Posted by sjanzeir
But Dahon are already doing this. My recently acquired Hemingway is on the 100mm standard up front (I know that because I measured it,) and it's got QR, disk brakes, and the magnet. The brakes do squeak, yes, but that has little or nothing to do with the fact that it uses the venerable QR as a wheel retaining system and everything to do with them being budget-oriented (to avoid using the word cheap) entry level brakes and my own failure to bed them in properly on day one. So...

5. Sell the Speed and buy a Hemingway/Horize, Launch, or any other modern Dahon with disk brakes that you like.

It's probably only a matter of time before even the likes of the Speed and Mu shift to disk brakes (and, more likely than not, abandon the 74mm standard made famous by Brompton for the universal 100mm standard, and - who knows? - maybe even thru axles) and you won't feel stuck anymore.
You conveniently cut out the part of my post that mentioned I will not be considering disc brake with QR. Thru-axle is here, I have a bicycle with them, I know how good disc brakes are with them and therefore will never fall for the QR w/disc-brake scam. It's better to keep using V-brakes until folding bicycles catch up with reliable bicycle tech.
Old 01-01-21, 05:47 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Whatever makes you happy!
Likes For sjanzeir: