Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Missing part for bottom bracket

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-16-21, 02:58 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts

It looks like my wife's bike is missing the part of the bottom bracket that caps and protects all the dust and dirt from getting in. Probably the last bike mechanic didn't re-assemble it properly.

Can anybody name all the missing parts? I'm guessing there will be a cap and some sort of ring lock nut. Are these parts universally sized that I can buy online and assemble on my own or should I take it to another bike mechanic?

Thanks
Old 05-16-21, 03:08 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
If it's a standard shimano bb with a fully assembled spindle and bearings that is inserted through the drive side, and then a kind of retainer on the non drive side, meaning that there are only 2 parts, then there is nothing else.
https://si.shimano.com/#/en/EV/BB-UN55
If it's from some other manufacturer, then maybe there could be a separate dust cover but I don't have experience with other types of designs.
the shimano bb has seals near where the spindle protrudes from the end of the main assembly. You would be able to see them if you take off the crank arms. But I don't think it's necessary. You could also stick your face close to the gap with a lamp to take a look for the seal.
one thing though is that the gap between the crank and the bb shell looks really wide. Is the q factor symmetric? You can measure from the outer face of each crank arm at the pedal spindle to the seat tube to see if the distance is the same on both sides. I had an experience once a long time ago where a shop replaced my 68mm bb with a 73mm bb so the non drive side crank arm was really far out. That was when I decided to do everything myself.

If both sides are equal, then you can measure the chainline to see if it's correct. If the chainline is further out than desired, you could switch to a shorter bb spindle to reduce the gap and q factor.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 05-16-21 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-16-21, 04:04 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
It's a cartridge type BB.
That's the way it is.
Pic is for removal tool attachment, but you can see what it is minus the NDS (plastic) "cup/retainer

"
Old 05-16-21, 06:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Thanks for being willing to toss the mechanic under the bus when you didn't know what was the norm.

As has been said the image is the usual assembly. I see no missing parts. Andy
Old 05-16-21, 06:30 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
If you are asking about the opening at the spindle end of the crank arm (the visible female threads at the extreme left edge of your photo) you need a crank arm dust cap. These vary a bit in diameter and threading among crank manufacturers but the Shimano type is most common and any bike shop should have them at low to no cost. They are available in metal or plastic and are installed and removed with a large screwdriver slot, a hex key hole or two small holes for a pin spanner depending on make.
Old 05-16-21, 07:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
If you are asking about the opening at the spindle end of the crank arm (the visible female threads at the extreme left edge of your photo) you need a crank arm dust cap. These vary a bit in diameter and threading among crank manufacturers but the Shimano type is most common and any bike shop should have them at low to no cost. They are available in metal or plastic and are installed and removed with a large screwdriver slot, a hex key hole or two small holes for a pin spanner depending on make.
If this is what the OP was talking about I ow an apology. If not then my comments stand. I will add that there are millions of bike that are ridden for many thousands of miles without crank arm extractor thread dust caps and not suffer any harm or issues. Andy
Old 05-16-21, 07:26 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The OP provided a quality photo...centered on the axle/bb cup. Don't you think if he was talking about the dust cap he might have actually centered the photo on that particular part? Overthink much?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-17-21, 08:44 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Can anybody name all the missing parts? I'm guessing there will be a cap and some sort of ring lock nut. Are these parts universally sized that I can buy online and assemble on my own or should I take it to another bike mechanic?

Thanks
Sometimes you tighten the non-drive-side lockring all you can and there's still an unsightly gap that fills with dirt. A plastic spacer from an old cassette will fit in there.
Old 05-20-21, 06:50 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Thank you to all who have responded.
Old 05-20-21, 07:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
apply some black plastic paint to the off colored part & it'll likely be forgotten about. Might even add some watts!