Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to disk brake question.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Upgrading to disk brake question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-21, 05:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
^^^ I gather people have been able to figure out what you propose. I don't think language is the problem.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-29-21, 09:39 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpMan
English is not my first language so please don't confuse bad knowledge of bicycle mechanics with bad knowledge of English terminology.
despite how folks come across here, there is a reason they're advising against this. people have had problems trying to do what you're attempting. if you're intent, though, that's cool. but, do get a different fork. perhaps the surly 1x1 if you have a 1 1/8 steer tube/head set. at least that way IF the rear brake fails on you ...ie. crumbles the frame (and, it very well could)... you will have a definitely safe front mechanism with which to stop.
having said that, on the rear stays, if you know a welder, you could have a strut tacked in stretching at an angle from the seat stay to the chain stay that would reduce or eliminate the chances of failure. i have seen that done. just have someone use a TIG welder and not a MIG. either a flat plate or a section of tube
Likes For thook:
Old 05-30-21, 02:24 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
English is not my first language so please don't confuse bad knowledge of bicycle mechanics with bad knowledge of English terminology.
You have made it very clear that your knowledge of bicycle mechanics is worse than your knowledge of English terminology. Not one part of your plan is a good idea.
Old 05-30-21, 04:22 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
It would be easier to just buy a bike with disk brakes.

But if you want to convert, I suggest:

Don't destroy your wheels. If necessary, buy new wheels, or all the parts to make new wheels, and build them. Then if it does not work as you hoped, you have the parts to convert it back. Keep all parts in case you want to convert it back.

You should be able to buy calipers with cables and brake levers. Pads are normally included.

When doing things like this, it may not work as well as hoped for. It may also work well. Whatever the outcome, it will be a learning experience.

I would just buy a bike with disk brakes.

But I like to experiment, and do things that many on this forum would never consider. For example:

I am running a motorcycle tube in my bicycle tire.

I am using motorcycle mirrors.

I have raised the handlebars on several bikes.

There are many other things I have tried. Too many to list them all. I have learnt some things were not a good idea. Other things I will continue to use, and do again if I get another bike.
Old 05-30-21, 10:51 AM
jimc101

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
You may need to buy wheel rim designed for disk brake use too.

Disk brake will impart much higher forces to the spokes so wheel rims designed for disk brake use is going to be stronger.
Why? if a rim can do rim brakes, it can do discs as well, only the hub is specific, back when discs started to be come more common, a lot of 'disc' rims were just rim brake rims without the braking surface being machined. until the manufacture got around to doing disc specific ones, have a few DT Swiss rims in both rim and disc versions exactly like this, they just added a 'd' at the end of the name of the rim, No issue with other brands and build several disc wheels on rim brake rims with no issues.
Likes For jimc101:
Old 05-30-21, 03:39 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
To "upgrade" from rim brakes to disc brakes you need
  • a way to mount the calipers to the frame
  • a way to mount the rotors to the wheels
JB Weld does not work. You need a frame that has disc brake mounting posts or tabs. You need wheels that have hubs with a centerlock thread or six-bolt mounting holes for the rotors. Every other consideration is moot.
Old 05-30-21, 08:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
In case someone wanders into this thread and doesn't understand the OP (original poster) this is the worst way to go about things. If you need better braking make sure you have tried high quality pads and shoes from SwissStop or KoolStop (no one piece stuff please separate pad goes into a separate holder) and good quality cables and housing like Jagwire Elite Link or Pro, something compressionless with very slick stainless steel cables (ideally polished). I would also make sure you are running linear pull brakes of quality (sometimes referred to as V-brakes, a wholly owned Shimano trademark) with the correct levers and again something of quality. Finally make sure everything is properly set up by a professional.

Beyond that if your frame doesn't natively support disc brakes, you cannot run disc brakes and cheap disc brakes even if hydraulic isn't going to be better then a high quality linear pull brake with good components all over. Adaptors aren't designed by anyone who knows what they are doing, they are designed by folks who think like the OP and just think you can slap stuff on stuff and somehow it will work properly. You will at that point need to find a frame designed for disc brakes. If you have a decent quality steel frame that is straight in good condition and know a good frame builder they might be able to add IS mounts to the frame but at that point it can get expensive and won't really do much for you. More than likely you will have stopped at the linear pull brakes. Plus quick releases and disc brakes aren't always the most ideal combination certainly work fine and plenty of people have made it work but is not ideal especially if you plan on mountain biking.

Modern mountain bikes are freakin' awesome and if you haven't ridden one go for it. Yes vintage stuff is cool and we certainly did a lot with them but if you are having such upgraditis that you are wanting to try to add disc brakes to a frame not designed for it you need a new bike. Those old bikes aren't really going to do it for you at that point, don't toss it but maybe find some easier trails or convert to a drop bar tourer or have other fun with it or keep riding as is you clearly rode it at one point in the dirt, the dirt didn't really change we just found more of it and more technical stuff.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-30-21, 08:16 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Whenever I read "front fork", I know it's going to be a slap-my-head thread.
Why? I know plenty of people who refer to items, myself included, as the front fork and the rear stays. Yes, I know the difference between seat and chain stays and I've never seen a rear fork or front stays, but the term is descriptive, especially when dealing with people who don't know the difference.

Your language is fine. If you are going ahead, as others mentioned, replace the fork. Speed doesn't matter, fold your fork and the ground comes up fast at any speed. Looking at the pics your dropouts aren't thick and probably a weak point for the extra stress put on them my a disc wheel. Also, as I mentioned, a bolt-on wheel in the back will hold the adapter better then quick release. Also might want to look into BMX parts, several companies now make retrofit adapters for disc to work with bmx bikes.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-30-21, 08:25 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
A disc brake rim is designed to have stronger holes for dealing with much higher spoke tension due to disc brake use.
Did you read that somewhere legitimate? With disc brakes, during braking, the hub sort of winds up so the pulling spokes see less tension and the pushing spokes see more tension. This doesn't happen with rim brakes - but the spokes do see similar tension change with pedaling forces.

I've never seen "disk brake" rims list this as a feature, and I don't think it's necessary.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-30-21, 08:51 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Did you read that somewhere legitimate? With disc brakes, during braking, the hub sort of winds up so the pulling spokes see less tension and the pushing spokes see more tension. This doesn't happen with rim brakes - but the spokes do see similar tension change with pedaling forces.

I've never seen "disk brake" rims list this as a feature, and I don't think it's necessary.
i had to look that up, myself. some disc rims are advertised as being reinforced. can't say how necessary it is. not all disc rims are advertised having the reinforcement. i would say, though, as long as pimpman's rims are eyeletted, they should be fine. plenty of wheelsets sold as being compatible with rim or disc brakes

as for "front fork" terminology, sheldon here uses the reference....as well as rear fork end

https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

maybe english isn't his first language, though <<<caca eating grin>>>
Old 05-30-21, 10:25 PM
oldbobcat

I've seen disc brake calipers mounted in non-disc brake fork using metal rings that is tightened by a screw or open wrench. The ring looks like a smaller version of the ring used to hold the front derailleur.

It seems the caliper came with the rings (might be a caliper designed for non-disc brake ready bike). The problem is that even if you tighten the rings properly, the caliper isn't 100% rigidly fixed to the fork. The mounting ring flexes a bit. I think the flexing could potentially cause it to loosen or fail much sooner.
Banded bolt-on disc brake mounts will never withstand the torque to stay in alignment with the rotors. And then there's the problem of rotor-less wheels.

So why are we advising on a project that is destined to failure?

Last edited by oldbobcat; 05-30-21 at 10:30 PM.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 05-30-21, 11:58 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
So why are we advising on a project that is destined to failure?
It's slightly less precarious than that other method of braking... jamming your foot between the rear wheel and the downtube.
But yeah, this forum needs a thread on catastrophic results of folks who did something BF Mechanics posters warned against...with photos of broken stuff and blood... then we could just link and get smug.

Disc brake will impart greater torque on the hub (especially the front wheel) than you could with pedaling.
Speak for yourself, spindly legs. ​​​​​​​
Old 05-31-21, 12:14 AM
oldbobcat

Speak for yourself, spindly legs. ​​​​​​​
My, but some of us have such high estimations of our wattage;

Hey, I made my point. Carry on down the rabbit hole.
Old 05-31-21, 12:23 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

hey @PimpMan. I just did some reading over at mtbr.com. Check out this video. Might help you in your madness

Old 05-31-21, 03:35 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Its all about looks, guys build chopper motorcycle for that purpose too and yeah its not handling as efficient as regular bike as well.
OK, so you know what you are doing and why. I shutdown and say nothing about forks failing, rotor rub, wheel ejecting from the dropouts etc.

You asked about other possible problems:
Old 05-31-21, 06:12 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Ah, life in a plug and play world fuelled by aliexpress, anything seems possible.
Old 05-31-21, 06:40 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Whenever I read "front fork", I know it's going to be a slap-my-head thread.
Yeah it sounds a bit redundant, but there is precedent for the term fork to be applied to the rear, as implied by the "fork ends" used on track frames.
Old 05-31-21, 07:00 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts

+1

While there is greater force on the spokes in a disc brake wheel during braking, it is evenly distributed to half the number of spokes in the wheel. So split over 16 spokes for a 32-spoke wheel. Which means that the increase for each spoke and their attachment points isn’t much, even during a full-on stoppie.
But sure, if you have a wheel that’s kinda marginal already to begin with, maybe a few overtensioned spokes, then maybe the extra load from (hard) braking can be enough to snap something.
As could the extra load from any ride related mishap.
Old 05-31-21, 07:19 AM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
hey @PimpMan. I just did some reading over at mtbr.com. Check out this video. Might help you in your madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emW7M-ZD0Pw
For those who said it can't be done, or it is too difficult, or it wont be strong enough, here is an example of doing it. So it can be done. Of course, anyone doing this needs to be creative and adapt, as each bike may be different.
Old 05-31-21, 08:45 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Conversion threads like these were popular years ago. I never really followed them closely, but I vaguely recall the solution was getting a disc compatible fork, like a Kona P2, and using a brace between the seat and chain stay.

The rear setup seemed to be the biggest issue as few, if anyone, would use an existing rim brake fork. Not sure if a brace and a strut to the original brake post, like the one in the posted video, will work well enough.

Of course the best solution is probably a disc front and rim rear since most braking is done by the front brake. That was, and is more common, as rim brake suspension forks are pretty non-existent.

Not cost effective on a cheap bike, but a solution for a high end vintage mtb.

John
Old 05-31-21, 03:32 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Yeah it sounds a bit redundant, but there is precedent for the term fork to be applied to the rear, as implied by the "fork ends" used on track frames.
Yeah, I've seen respectable people post the same thing - even Dave Moulton in his blog once.
But it's a little like describing the driver's side steering wheel.
Old 05-31-21, 03:34 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Its an MTB fat strong front fork, i think its okay to use caliper.

Disk brake uses cable thickness more than 1.6mm, do you have link?
Don't do that unless you're willing to pay for facial reconstruction, a dentist or a coffin.

If you want powerful brakes with that fork, use magura hydraulic rim brakes. But whatever you do, don't mount disc brakes on a fork that's not designed for it.
Old 05-31-21, 05:59 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
But it's a little like describing the driver's side steering wheel.
Which side is the driver's side?

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 05-31-21, 07:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Personally, I am all in favor of PimpMan mounting this disc brakes to his non-disc frameset. And I think he should test his new setup by riding down an extremely steep hill.

If nothing else, it will get rid of some of the dross on bf.
Old 05-31-21, 08:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Personally, I am all in favor of PimpMan mounting this disc brakes to his non-disc frameset. And I think he should test his new setup by riding down an extremely steep hill.

If nothing else, it will get rid of some of the dross on bf.
Nothing like wishing someone ill will for wanting to follow their own path. It might not be the best idea, and its at his own risk; so why wish harm?
Likes For Russ Roth:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.