Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Old Shimano front+rear derailleur shifter?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-21, 10:09 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello,

On a mountain bike from the 80/90's, a friend of mine is having a slight problem operating the seven-speed "SRAM Centera" rear derailleur with a "Shimano ST-EF510-7R" right-hand shifter that's also operating the triple chairing front derailleur and has a brake lever built in (!).

Google returned no hits about that unusual but very practical combo that operates both derailleurs with one shifter. It might be a custom order from the bicycle manufacturer.

The issue is that the chain on the rear derailleur sometimes drops, usually when in any of the middle gears.

Couple of questions:
1. Can the SRAM derailleur be fine-tuned to solve the problem, or might it simply be incompatible with that Shimano shifter — in which case: What seven-speed rear derailleur should he get instead?
2. Have you alreay seen that kind of combo shifter? Why wasn't it successfull?

Thank you.

Old 07-22-21, 11:19 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Some SRAM shifters/DER's are compatible with Shimano and some aren't.
Old 07-22-21, 12:30 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I have never heard of SRAM making derailleurs compatible with Shimano shifters. They made shifters that were compatible with Shimano derialleurs. This makes sense since SRAM started out with Grip Shift.

I would just replace the SRAM rear derailleur with a Shimano mountain bike rear derailleur.

You don't have to get a 7 speed, my choice has been 9 speed rear derailleurs. I use them on nearly everything and they work great. I'm partial to older ones, but something like a new Shimano Altus or Acera is fine.

John
Old 07-22-21, 01:26 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks for the infos.
Old 07-22-21, 01:35 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I have never heard of SRAM making derailleurs compatible with Shimano shifters. They made shifters that were compatible with Shimano derialleurs. This makes sense since SRAM started out with Grip Shift.

I would just replace the SRAM rear derailleur with a Shimano mountain bike rear derailleur.

You don't have to get a 7 speed, my choice has been 9 speed rear derailleurs. I use them on nearly everything and they work great. I'm partial to older ones, but something like a new Shimano Altus or Acera is fine.

John
Teach me to assume they worked both ways.
Good to know-
Old 07-22-21, 01:48 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Teach me to assume they worked both ways.
Good to know-
Not so fast, that doesn’t mean I’m right. I just never heard of that compatibility.

John