Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Which Bike Shorts?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Which Bike Shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-21, 02:06 PM
RickInSpokane

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which Bike Shorts?

Time to purchase new paddled bike shorts. The choices are slightly overwhelming since my go to shorts had been the Pearl iZumi. Quality, durability, and padding are my top interest at 5’10” 180. I ride 5-6 days per week with an average riding time of 1hr -1.5 hours depending on terrain chosen for the day. I prefer shorts vs bibs.

I see on Amazon over 13,000 have purchased/rated the Sponeed short selling at $39.99! Alarms go off sensing there is something off, but am I wrong? Additionally, searching for the top bike shorts does not provide consistent recommendations across the board.

In doing my research I did come across the USA made Aero brand, either the Gel, Elite, or All day models.

Welcome your informed and experienced recommendations!

~ Much Thanks ~
Old 07-18-21, 02:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Will you be totally bummed out if you buy them and they don't work to your expectations in fit or longevity? If you can handle the risk both financially and in peace of mind, then try them and see. I'd hate to see you going postal if they didn't suit you.

I bought some cheapo cycling jerseys from a site for cheapo stuff. Some were only 12 bucks, the most expensive 18 bucks. That was six years ago. I'm still wearing them.

Shorts and bibbs? I've been buying Peal Izumi's middle of the price range shorts and bibbs and they fit me very well for short and very long rides. So I've not been wanting to try others whether cheaper or more expensive.

My butt's not as willing to experiment as my upper body is. <grin>
Old 07-18-21, 02:17 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/

These guys sell decent shorts for the money. The material is a little on the thin side but pretty decent overall. Since you ride so much I recommend buying a pair from a few different companies and trying for yourself. There are lots of different threads here available via the search function on the subject, each with lots of good recommendations.
Old 07-18-21, 06:17 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
In my experience you will try several brands until you find what works for you. It took me awhile but I ended up with Assos..
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-18-21, 07:34 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
The Black Bibs
They also make shorts
Order and you will have them in a few days.

40.00$

https://theblackbibs.com/
Likes For Skullo:
Old 07-19-21, 03:04 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Skullo
The Black Bibs
They also make shorts

40.00$

This.
Old 07-19-21, 06:54 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,003 Times in 1,856 Posts
Originally Posted by Skullo
The Black Bibs
They also make shorts

40.00$

'

I have these and like them, but onlyl for rides of 40 miles or less. For longer rides, I want higher quality bibs/shorts with better padding.
Old 07-19-21, 06:55 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,003 Times in 1,856 Posts
OP: It took me a long time to get there, but I wish I had listened sooner to what many say- try bibs rather than shorts.
Old 07-19-21, 08:02 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
OP: It took me a long time to get there, but I wish I had listened sooner to what many say- try bibs rather than shorts.
I agree with trying. Personally, I like the fit of bibs but they are hotter so I prefer shorts.
Old 07-19-21, 08:10 AM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
'

I have these and like them, but onlyl for rides of 40 miles or less. For longer rides, I want higher quality bibs/shorts with better padding.
I seldom go over 30 any more. Have only used the black bibs for a couple months. Would like to do a metric this year. Might get up to Bear Lake for at least 50 this fall.My long and fast days may be history.
I still have some of the higher end performance bibs.So far the black bibs are working out . Probably long ride in them about 33. The op says he does 1-1.5 so they should be more than enough.
I also ride brooks b 67 now .
Old 07-19-21, 11:29 AM
2ering

Bikes: 1974 Gitane Tour de France, 2003 Trek Madone 5.9, 2007 Co-Motion Americano, 2017 Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I'm 5'11", 185lbs. and decided last year I needed to retire my 15yo Performance bib-shorts (I have been a shorts wearer and only use the bibs during cool/cold weather). As I am old I decided since the replacement might be the last pair I buy I would explore the spendy brands and bought a pair of Rapha Classic bibs and Assos Mille GT bibs and a pair of Rapha Cargo shorts and Assos Mille GT Half Shorts. The Rapha bibs have made me a bib-short convert for all weather. Last Saturday as I was leaving for a ride I mentioned to my partner that the Rapha's are the most comfortable piece of clothing I have ever worn...so she suggested I wear them out to dinner. My rides are generally 30-60 miles at touring speed so I'm out generally 4-6 hours. Can't really comment yet on durability but quality of construction is superb. The Assos bibs are good as well, better when actually on the bike than walking but I don't like the padding nearly as well. In order of preference, Rapha bibs, Rapha Cargo shorts, Assos Bibs and Assos Half Shorts.
Likes For 2ering:
Old 07-19-21, 11:50 AM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts
I've tried both bibs and shorts, and I prefer shorts. My favorite shorts are from Bellwether. I have two pairs of their Newton shorts (now only available as bibs, it seems) that I bought years ago. I would happily wear them on every ride (typical ride for me is 30-60 miles, occasionally longer). The older of those has finally worn thin in the rear and I just bought a pair of the Axiom shorts as a replacement when they had a July 4th sale 2 weeks ago. Haven't ridden in them yet but they felt good when I tried them on at home. Their size chart is accurate for me - I'm 5'8", 30" waist, and the small shorts fit great.
Old 07-21-21, 12:53 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
In my experience you will try several brands until you find what works for you. It took me awhile but I ended up with Assos..
Assos for me, and well worth the price.
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 07-24-21, 08:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you're not sure yet about spending much, the current best values in very good shorts and bibs are from Przewalski and Cerotipolar.

I've had two pair of Przewalski shorts for two or three years, no problems. One set each of Przewalski bibs and Black Bibs -- I prefer the Przewalski. They fit my skinny thighs better, with a bit of compression, and the pad is more comfortable. The Black Bibs fit me okay, but not snug, no compression, and the pad is less cushioned for longer days on my road bike with minimally padded saddle.

And one set of Cerotipolar shorts for about six months, with mesh side pockets for my mini-wallet and keys, or my phone in the other pocket if I don't mind getting the phone sweaty, or putting the phone in a ziplock bag. Also an outstanding value, snug fitting with good compression and a comfortable pad. Occasionally I wear these shorts when jogging and running when I'm having problems with sore hips and thighs -- the compression helps. Usually I'll wear running shorts over the padded cycling shorts to avoid offending the neighborhood.

I may be an outlier among roadies. I don't have any preference between padded shorts and bibs. I started out with merino wool shorts with thin chamois pads in the 1970s. Those were fine. And the currently available shorts of Spandex and Lycra with Dupont CoolMax and compartable pads are even better. I have no problem with shorts sagging, cutting into my waist, etc. I do have a few sets of bibs but I have zero preference between 'em. If anything bibs are a PITA on longer rides when I might need to stop for a quickie roadside pee.
Old 07-25-21, 05:41 AM
bch238

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried many, including PI mid-range and Pro and a few budget brands on Amazon. Always got some pinching and bunching, then irritation after an hour. Have settled on Le Col (I like the Heritage model because the others are too long in leg), Rapha Core (as good as Classic for way less $, IMO), and Assos GT Mille in that order. I never think about them on the bike even after 3-4 hours. I wear a M in all at 165 pounds, 5'8". It just isn't worth being uncomfortable when riding. Period. YMMV.
Old 07-25-21, 09:42 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've also tried both shorts and bibs and prefer shorts. I like them tight and supportive. If I can just get them over my butt, they're the right size. I've used many models. My favorite lately has been Castelli Adventure. They don't have a time limit and have held up very, very well. I machine wash and dry all my bike gear, low heat only. I use Bag Balm for butt care
Old 07-26-21, 07:00 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by RickInSpokane
my go to shorts had been the Pearl iZumi.
fwiw my go-to shorts were also Pearl Izumi ...~10-15 years ago. In fact, I liked their shorts so much I bought a couple extra pair and just buried them in a drawer so I'd have some new ones available in case PI ever discontinued that model

...which of course they did. Smugly, I retrieved my stash of NOS PIs and continued riding...until those wore out also. So then I figured I'd bite the bullet and check out what the current PI shorts were.

In the last ~5 years I've bought three different pairs of PI shorts, and each one has been worse than the previous pair. And none are as nice as the model I used to consider my go-to, from 10-15 years ago. Oh PI, what has happened to you?

These days my go-to shorts are all by Assos, although even they make a few models that are kinda weird and not ideal. But life is too short to wear cheap cycling shorts.
Old 07-27-21, 10:34 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
IMO, Voler & Boure should be added as potential good fits for anyone. No matter what, you're going to have to start somewhere and keep moving on until you find something that works well. With luck, it'll be the first thing you try.
Old 07-27-21, 12:47 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by bch238
I've tried many, including PI mid-range and Pro and a few budget brands on Amazon. Always got some pinching and bunching, then irritation after an hour. Have settled on Le Col (I like the Heritage model because the others are too long in leg), Rapha Core (as good as Classic for way less $, IMO), and Assos GT Mille in that order. I never think about them on the bike even after 3-4 hours. I wear a M in all at 165 pounds, 5'8". It just isn't worth being uncomfortable when riding. Period. YMMV.
Snap! I’ve currently got Rapha Core bibs, Le Col Pro bibs and Assos Mille GT shorts. All very good, but Rapha are my favourites for seriously long road rides. 7mesh shorts are my new favourite for mtb.
Old 07-27-21, 12:57 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The boyz appreciate the Assos' KuKuPenthouse.

They parked themselves there for 54 straight, disgusting hours once with no discomfort but then again the Berthoud Aravis was perfectly formed to my Ischial Tuberosity

Too much money for most but they are nice