Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.3

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 02:13 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
God, no! For a while there was a pain doc locally with the same last name. It was about that time that I stopped picking up my desk phone.

BTW, LSS had her lumpectomy and bilateral reconstruction yesterday. I had no idea care that good—aggressively and cheerfully efficient and thorough, from diagnosis to follow-up—was even available. What a change from the military system, where we were for 27 years, and the above average HMOs we were in before that. Some things are getting better.
Glad it was a good experience. I hope her SLN (Sentinel Lymph Node) was negative.
Old 08-03-21, 02:19 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Glad it was a good experience. I hope her SLN (Sentinel Lymph Node) was negative.
Hopefully we'll have the path by the end of the week.
Old 08-03-21, 02:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Fun fact: I am now credentialed to certify patients to get medical cannabis in Pennsylvania. However I purposefully asked the state to not put me on the searchable database. I only want to offer this to existing patients, when appropriate.
Before recreational weed was legal here a friend who was on chemo was having trouble eating. A lifelong runner, she was already pretty thin. She asked her oncologist about a scrip for edibles and he said he couldn't do it but he referred her to a doc who would. She got the edibles and got her appetite back.
She's fine now.
Old 08-03-21, 02:28 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
God, no! For a while there was a pain doc locally with the same last name. It was about that time that I stopped picking up my desk phone.

BTW, LSS had her lumpectomy and bilateral reconstruction yesterday. I had no idea care that good—aggressively and cheerfully efficient and thorough, from diagnosis to follow-up—was even available. What a change from the military system, where we were for 27 years, and the above average HMOs we were in before that. Some things are getting better.
Friends who have gone through the same thing as your LSS have experienced the same thing - once they found a doctor they could relate to. Once they found the right doc, they said the rest flowed smoothly.

We are starting to move toward concierge care for regular, ongoing things that are not crazy expensive. It's just good to be able to see and talk to someone when you need it.
Old 08-03-21, 02:33 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Friends who have gone through the same thing as your LSS have experienced the same thing - once they found a doctor they could relate to. Once they found the right doc, they said the rest flowed smoothly.

We are starting to move toward concierge care for regular, ongoing things that are not crazy expensive. It's just good to be able to see and talk to someone when you need it.
Thing is, this was the system, not the doc. Good docs are fortunately pretty common, but good systems and well-trained, conscientious, kind, and generous support staff used, at least, to be rare. If this is an effect of consolidation and head-to-head competition, yay for that!
Old 08-03-21, 02:35 PM
Mojo31
-------

Tennessee offers incentives to vaccinate cows but not people. Near the bottom of the pole in terms of people vaccinated for Covid.

Tennessee isn't offering incentives for COVID shots - but paid nearly $500,000 to vaccinate cows (msn.com)
Old 08-03-21, 02:44 PM
big john

Finished a 3.5 hour ride this morning @ 11:30ish and it was close to 100 degrees but it didn't feel bad. There was climbing early and after that we just cruised and I never felt hot or overworked. Maybe tomorrow I'll get started earlier and do a couple thousand feet of climbing by myself.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-03-21, 02:45 PM
Mojo31
-------

Thing is, this was the system, not the doc. Good docs are fortunately pretty common, but good systems and well-trained, conscientious, kind, and generous support staff used, at least, to be rare. If this is an effect of consolidation and head-to-head competition, yay for that!
I'm sure you and your wife treated the staff well, and that goes a long way.

I have never had cancer, but have had several surgeries although nothing as emotionally challenging. Every time I've been hospitalized, I've found the care and people to be very good. Once I was in the hospital for several days, and during that stay kept hearing a guy in another room treating the nurses like crap and berating them. All I could think was that that wasn't going to win him any friends. I didn't understand it because all of the staff was at the top of their game - nice, considerate, helpful, conversant, caring, and wanted to take care of me. After I got out I sent the nurses' desk a couple dozen cookies and a floral bouquet thanking them for making the stay as pleasant as it could be.
Old 08-03-21, 02:55 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Any good pictures?
Of a Python script?
Old 08-03-21, 03:08 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Before recreational weed was legal here a friend who was on chemo was having trouble eating. A lifelong runner, she was already pretty thin. She asked her oncologist about a scrip for edibles and he said he couldn't do it but he referred her to a doc who would. She got the edibles and got her appetite back.
She's fine now.
The course I had to take in order to get credentialed suggested that drops (oil or tincture) are better than edibles. The downside to edibles is they are absorbed too slowly and stay in the system too long. Edibles with THC, even taken at bedtime, are likely to cause some fatigue the next day. So most of my patients are using tincture, oil, or occasionally vape/inhaled if they don't have lung conditions. Interestingly, my job is simply to certify that they qualify for medical cannabis. Once they get a card, they go to a dispensary and the people who work there know more about the products and decide what to offer the patient. Insurance does not cover medical cannabis, which can be an issue for some patients if they are of very modest means.
Old 08-03-21, 03:14 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I'm sure you and your wife treated the staff well, and that goes a long way.

I have never had cancer, but have had several surgeries although nothing as emotionally challenging. Every time I've been hospitalized, I've found the care and people to be very good. Once I was in the hospital for several days, and during that stay kept hearing a guy in another room treating the nurses like crap and berating them. All I could think was that that wasn't going to win him any friends. I didn't understand it because all of the staff was at the top of their game - nice, considerate, helpful, conversant, caring, and wanted to take care of me. After I got out I sent the nurses' desk a couple dozen cookies and a floral bouquet thanking them for making the stay as pleasant as it could be.
Most nurses are amazingly dedicated and professional and take good care even of nasty people, but explicit gratitude goes a long way and makes a very hard job more rewarding. I was really talking about the staff who schedule and coordinate complex care, take phone messages, etc. This recent experience was just an amazing contrast to what we had to deal with at the old National Naval Medical Center and the old and the new Walter Reed. The docs and the nurses were fine and in some cases fantastic, but everything else was pretty awful even for a VIP.
Old 08-03-21, 03:23 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Of a Python script?
I was being facetious. Did not understand a word you said.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-03-21, 03:32 PM
big john

The course I had to take in order to get credentialed suggested that drops (oil or tincture) are better than edibles. The downside to edibles is they are absorbed too slowly and stay in the system too long. Edibles with THC, even taken at bedtime, are likely to cause some fatigue the next day. So most of my patients are using tincture, oil, or occasionally vape/inhaled if they don't have lung conditions. Interestingly, my job is simply to certify that they qualify for medical cannabis. Once they get a card, they go to a dispensary and the people who work there know more about the products and decide what to offer the patient. Insurance does not cover medical cannabis, which can be an issue for some patients if they are of very modest means.
I don't know why the one doc couldn't write the scrip himself, Don't know if California had a certification process for doctors then or if he didn't want to have his name involved.
Having eaten brownies, banana bread, green butter on toast, and thc pills, I can assure you there is a bit of a hangover/residual effect the next day, but I wouldn't call it fatigue. It's usually mild, nothing like the alcohol hangovers I had every damned day while I was drinking.
Old 08-03-21, 03:50 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by big john
I don't know why the one doc couldn't write the scrip himself, Don't know if California had a certification process for doctors then or if he didn't want to have his name involved.
Having eaten brownies, banana bread, green butter on toast, and thc pills, I can assure you there is a bit of a hangover/residual effect the next day, but I wouldn't call it fatigue. It's usually mild, nothing like the alcohol hangovers I had every damned day while I was drinking.
In most states, a doctor has to be registered with the state in order to prescribe weed. Growers, sellers, and prescribers have to keep careful track of inventory from seed to consumer so it doesn't end up in the black market. State has to get its tax cut, you know.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-03-21, 04:43 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
My tubeless run may be over. A very expensive pair of Assos bibs got sprayed considerably with Orange Seal and my wife and I can not get it out. I’ve watched videos and read FAQs and essentially, it turns out that sealant is very hard on clothes. My jersey cleaned up nicely but the bibs are basically ruined. I have them soaking again but I’m not optimistic.

Old 08-03-21, 05:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,893 Times in 6,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My tubeless run may be over. A very expensive pair of Assos bibs got sprayed considerably with Orange Seal and my wife and I can not get it out. I’ve watched videos and read FAQs and essentially, it turns out that sealant is very hard on clothes. My jersey cleaned up nicely but the bibs are basically ruined. I have them soaking again but I’m not optimistic.
Yeesh.

Once again, the experience of others saves me hundreds of dollars.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-03-21, 05:02 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Thank you. Another reason not to try them on a set of road wheels. I’m even considering putting tubes back in the gravel tires.
Old 08-03-21, 05:14 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I’m still working on them. When the bibs are wet, you can’t see anything. But when they dry, it looks like I rode through a mud puddle without a fender, only worse. Looks like dried, muddy water.

Old 08-03-21, 05:18 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Old 08-03-21, 05:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yeah, it is tough to get out - I never really tried to get it out, but I have one sock that is still stained after having been through the wash for a few years. I can understand the frustration, but considering the pains in the ass that I've had with roadside flats, I'd gladly put up with a messy set of bibs, or dedicate them to the trainer/under tights, once every several years.
Old 08-03-21, 05:49 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8833 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,734 Posts
Velo Vol Did you have any undisclosed meetings at undisclosed locations with undisclosed individuals discussing undisclosed topics today?
Old 08-03-21, 05:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Here's a breakdown from a sometimes humorous YouTuber -

***NSFW Language!!!***

Old 08-03-21, 06:50 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28607 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
Tennessee offers incentives to vaccinate cows but not people. Near the bottom of the pole in terms of people vaccinated for Covid.

Tennessee isn't offering incentives for COVID shots - but paid nearly $500,000 to vaccinate cows (msn.com)
I got $0.00.

Originally Posted by DougRNS
Velo Vol Did you have any undisclosed meetings at undisclosed locations with undisclosed individuals discussing undisclosed topics today?
Nope.
Old 08-03-21, 06:54 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Nope.
Sad.
Old 08-03-21, 06:57 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

LesterOfPuppets

In your time zone. A battle Royale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.