Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Older MTB

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Upgrading Older MTB

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 04:11 PM
kunschag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie Needs Your Help!

New MTB rider in Northeast looking to upgrade from 20 year old rigid bike. Looking at Tall Boy. Can buy 2019 V3 Aluminum R version for price of 2020 V4 Aluminum D version ($2699 USD). Same price, two different bikes. Currently I ride easier trails with not a lot of vertical; lots of tree roots though. I am not someone who will ever charge downhill. If I lived out West I would probably enjoy the singletrack that is more wide open and flows. I would like to try some endurance type events, not to race, but to finish and see interesting terrain. 54 years old, 150 pounds, 5'8".

Also, I still wonder if it is best to buy a 29er or look at 27.5 as my older bike is a 26. You can read till the cows come home and still be confused on this one. I find myself looking at hardtails to further confuse the matter; I try to remind myself what I will actually be using the bike for, thus the occasional look back at hardtails.

Advice?

Thanks!

Last edited by kunschag; 11-10-19 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-10-19, 09:29 PM
Jeff of Vt

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It really comes down to personal preference on the wheel size. The advantages/disadvantages are mostly theoretical. I prefer 29" but I'm quite a bit taller than you are. I too switched from a 26" and the center of gravity felt higher at first but I quickly adjusted to it.

You're going to have to throw a leg over some bikes to get an idea. Spec sheets don't tell the full story.
Old 11-11-19, 11:55 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by kunschag
New MTB rider in Northeast looking to upgrade from 20 year old rigid bike. Looking at Tall Boy. Can buy 2019 V3 Aluminum R version for price of 2020 V4 Aluminum D version ($2699 USD). Same price, two different bikes. Currently I ride easier trails with not a lot of vertical; lots of tree roots though. I am not someone who will ever charge downhill. If I lived out West I would probably enjoy the singletrack that is more wide open and flows. I would like to try some endurance type events, not to race, but to finish and see interesting terrain. 54 years old, 150 pounds, 5'8".

Also, I still wonder if it is best to buy a 29er or look at 27.5 as my older bike is a 26. You can read till the cows come home and still be confused on this one. I find myself looking at hardtails to further confuse the matter; I try to remind myself what I will actually be using the bike for, thus the occasional look back at hardtails.

Advice?

Thanks!
I upgraded the entire bike, went from an '04 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp full suspension, 26" wheels, disc, to a Specialized Chisel HT, 29" wheels with 1X shifting. I am 64, do not ride overly technical stuff, no rocks where I live on Long Island, just roots, logs, trees on tight and twisty single track. I'm 5'9" and fit a medium Chisel. I never considered a 27.5 as my attitude was if I fit on a 29 go that route as it leverages the advantages of the larger wheel and tire circumference.

My experience in 9 mos. is the 29" rolls faster and rolls over roots and logs easier. I was mostly worried about handling, if the 29" were as fast as the 26 in the turns and it's darn close. The 29" also feels faster as it's about 4-5 lbs lighter, with the HT frame accelerating better. Part of that is the Stumpy was old school FS design, so had lag in the suspension for fast acceleration. The geometry has gotten better on new bikes and while I at first felt tight on the frame, I soon learned that the position helps me climb and the Chisel climbs better than any HT or FS I've had. Note that many folks find a FS better IF they ride more technical terrain than I do - steep and rocky. For me and where I ride the HT is perfect. Only issue was the really wide 750mm stock bar width was a bit too tight for the local conditions, so I've trimmed to 700.

It's a tough question though about endurance events. A FS is going to be heavier and thus more effort to get the weight moving and is maybe a case for an HT. OTOH, long rides that are on punishing terrain makes the case for a FS. Your call as to the expected terrain for endurance rides.
Old 11-11-19, 08:04 PM
kunschag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Chisel looks like a great bike. Like you said, riding them is key, which is tricky by me as there aren't a lot of larger bike shops. When I read the bike descriptions on manufacturer pages, it can be confusing to understand what I will need terrain-wise as what they are describing in terms of rocks and downhill may be much more dicey than where I bike. That's why I keep going back to the HT possibility. The one larger bike shop about an hour from me really likes the Tallboy 3 for what I am describing. When I look at HT's, the Ibis DV9, Sp Fuse, SP Chisel and SC Chameleon all look like great bikes. Finding them all in my size to ride locally would be very difficult.
Old 11-11-19, 08:05 PM
kunschag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I definitely need to ride the various choices. Tough to find them all locally.
Old 11-12-19, 08:01 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
It's always a challenge to choose a new bike when you don't have a lot of LBS's in your area to demo. Your biggest question is probably 27.5 versus 29. I would try to get that decision nailed before deciding on FS or HT. I looked at the Tallboy a while back, it is a great bike.
Old 11-12-19, 12:43 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by kunschag

Advice?

Thanks!
Advice = test the tire sizes
IMO, Santa Cruz makes great bikes, I'm a tad tall, heavier and younger than you and prefer 29s. A ride around the parking lot won't tell you what's better. Will the LBS let you demo each for an hour at a local trail?
Between the TB4 and TB3, I'd get the 4. First resale will be easier. Second incorporates the "modern" geo.
- more travel
- shorter stays
- slacker headtube
will feel less "tall", more stable downhills, a bit more balanced between front and rear