Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Winter Riding??

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Winter Riding??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 08:43 PM
calgarc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Winter Riding??

How many of you ride your folding bikes during winter? heavy snow? light snow? etc...
Old 09-25-20, 10:14 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
While I alternate between different bikes, the decision of taking the Brompton or not does depend on any weather conditions. I have studded tires for Brompton and they can be useful when it is slippery. In general you actually feel more secure on a folding bike than a regular bike in winter conditions. This is because the center of gravity is lower and it is easier to jump to your feet on the ground off the folding bike than a regular. In fact, my wife might ride a Brompton in the snow, but would not touch a regular bike under such conditions. With derailleur being close to the ground I ran every once in a while to it getting snowed over and quitting to shift.

I also used Bike Friday in the snow, but I had no studded tires for it then and this was quite a while ago. More recently, I acquired the 20" studded tires and made other investments into BF and look forward for trials during the forthcoming winter.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 09-25-20, 11:25 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
While I alternate between different bikes, the decision of taking the Brompton or not does depend on any weather conditions. I have studded tires for Brompton and they can be useful when it is slippery. In general you actually feel more secure on a folding bike than a regular bike in winter conditions. This is because the center of gravity is lower and it is easier to jump to your feet on the ground off the folding bike than a regular. In fact, my wife might ride a Brompton in the snow, but would not touch a regular bike under such conditions. With derailleur being close to the ground I ran every once in a while to it getting snowed over and quitting to shift.

I also used Bike Friday in the snow, but I had no studded tires for it then and this was quite a while ago. More recently, I acquired the 20" studded tires and made other investments into BF and look forward for trials during the forthcoming winter.

No snow here in rio.
Our winter is 27 celsius sunny days.
Old 09-25-20, 11:34 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
No snow here in rio.
Actually some of the challenges of riding in the snow are similar to those in the sand. If you add the wet sand, you broaden the connections.
Old 09-26-20, 07:13 AM
calgarc

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
No snow here in rio.
This will be my first and only winter on a Folding bike. I plan on sailing to warmer climates for the winter from now on C:
Old 09-26-20, 08:46 AM
2_i 

Originally Posted by calgarc
This will be my first and only winter on a Folding bike. I plan on sailing to warmer climates for the winter from now on C:
Is the sailing going to be literal or metaphorical? I enjoy winter riding because of the weather challenges. However, in sailing you literally delegate your life to the elements. Obviously it must be enjoyable too as people can spend decades sailing around the world. Is the bike going to be on the boat?
Old 09-26-20, 05:56 PM
calgarc

Originally Posted by 2_i
Is the sailing going to be literal or metaphorical? I enjoy winter riding because of the weather challenges. However, in sailing you literally delegate your life to the elements. Obviously it must be enjoyable too as people can spend decades sailing around the world. Is the bike going to be on the boat?
Literal C: ... The bike will be stored on my Pearson 30. It will be stored in a water proof bag and taken out when I reach whatever destination I sail to.

I have a single winter here in Canada while I finish refitting the boat.
Likes For calgarc:
Old 09-30-20, 05:26 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Doesn't get below single digits(F) in my area; so I'm ok riding year round.
I only ride in light snow; while a storm is just starting out for example. NYC
area doesn't get too much snow. And when they do; it's plowed right away.
My Snowmobile by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
5 Fahrenheit/-15 Celsius by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Likes For 1nterceptor:
Old 09-30-20, 05:58 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I used my Brompton with studded tires for one winter and it was great here in Toronto. The one day I just couldn't ride because of too much snow, I folded the bike and took the subway home.
Old 09-30-20, 06:42 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by calgarc
How many of you ride your folding bikes during winter? heavy snow? light snow? etc...
My "winter" folder is HERE.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 09-30-20, 06:56 PM
2_i 

In my surrounding, paradoxically, the bike tends to be the most reliable means of transport. We live by a minor street, deep inside an area with streets that come late in the priority of snow plowing. Thus, when there is a sudden intense snow fall, it may be impossible to drive out by car. However, with a bike you just need to walk it to a main road and you are good. The public transport can also become sketchy or stop when the weather is bad and, with a bike, I only need to plan well and give myself enough time to reach my destination.