Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Used Dahon D7 handlebars

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Used Dahon D7 handlebars

Old 06-16-21, 07:38 AM
lilcapt13
Lilcapt13

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Dahon Speed D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used Dahon D7 handlebars

My handlebars won’t lock in. I noticed that they “wiggle” because there is a small gap. So I bought some rubber gasket material to shim it tight. Then I noticed that they didn’t lock in. I removed the shim and realized that they unlocked even without the shim.

How can I fix the locking mechanism for the handlebars?
Old 06-16-21, 06:41 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You should contact Dahon and get their advice. Roger
Old 06-16-21, 08:58 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Can you tighten the hand-nut on the bolt holding the quick-release together? I'm not exactly sure of what you're describing but, perhaps you could try a different shim, made out of an old innertube.
Old 06-20-21, 09:54 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
First, specify which "D7" you have. There are all these: Mariner D7, Speed D7, Vybe D7... and maybe more!
Second, images would help. You need 10 posts, but you can post a ("camouflaged") link to images elsewhere in the meantime.
There are some bike shops in Chicago that sell and service Dahons. Contact one of them.

EDIT: I have two Dahons, and neither one has any sort of rubber shim in the handlepost mechanism. Be careful "jury-rigging" this critical control assembly. Dahon's are well-designed bikes, and if things don't seem to fit there is a good reason.

Last edited by sweeks; 06-20-21 at 10:03 AM.