Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Share the Road license plates

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 06-23-21, 11:57 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts

I found an article from last year about the Washington Share the Road plates. It mentioned that in recent years sales of the plates have declined. Never having bought any special plates before, I started thinking about whether to buy one when renewing my tabs next year.

I do wonder about their efficacy and whether they're more performative than influential. Or worse, will they trigger road rage in the latent psychotic drivers who loses rational thought upon seeing a bike in the road -- the population who consistently shows themselves whenever I'm out with their telltale braindead acts of close-passing at all costs even when they're only going a further 30 feet to turn into the next driveway or stop at the red light.

And is "Share the Road" the verbiage that goes over with those who see no value in prioritizing anything outside their vehicle? To the ones who need to understand but are the least receptive, I could see it come across like an order violating their basic human right to have exclusive ownership of whatever street they're on and to decide who lives or dies based on how many seconds they saved in driving.
​​​​
Old 06-23-21, 12:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Mine says "Share the Road".

However, I think you are thinking too deep into this.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-23-21 at 12:28 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-25-21, 09:20 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I do wonder about their efficacy and whether they're more performative than influential.​​​​
They clearly bring the state extra revenue. I suppose they bring some satisfaction to the people who buy them. Beyond that, it seems likely that their effect is close to zero.
Old 06-25-21, 10:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

They also bring revenue to the organization that sponsors them. At least they do in my state. Not all of the extra fee goes to the sponsor, but a good portion of it does. There is actually a webpage that shows how the fee is portioned for each type of affinity tag we have. Or there was... I haven't been curious about that for quite a few years.

NOTE: sponsor is probably the wrong term. But just deal with it and let it go! Know what I mean not what I say or write. <grin>
Old 06-25-21, 10:28 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
...will they trigger road rage...​​​​
Now that I drive a car regularly I take great pleasure in forcing motorists behind me to drive the speed limit on surface streets and come to complete stops, behind me, at every stop sign. So what kind of rage would I generate on my favorite 2-mile long stretch of neighborhood street with a 20 MPH limit and a stop sign at every corner totaling about 30 stop signs in a row. Can you imagine the monster truck caveman behind me reading "Share The Road" for 10 solid minutes jammed up behind me? Yeah....I would never get one of those plates. No way.
Old 06-25-21, 10:42 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
I've had Share the Road plates for years and pro-bike bumper stickers. I also like forcing other drivers to slow down, simply by doing the speed limit and taking my foot off the gas as soon as I can see that I won't make the light. My state has been doing pretty good in adding bike lanes and other pro-bike infrastructure...I'd like to think my money is going towards that.

Old 06-25-21, 10:47 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
They clearly bring the state extra revenue. I suppose they bring some satisfaction to the people who buy them. Beyond that, it seems likely that their effect is close to zero.
You're probably correct, but I do wonder if more cyclists got the tags, what kind of effect that would have? I'm struck by how many cars in the various LBS's I visit don't have the Share the Road plates.
Old 06-25-21, 10:59 AM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
You're probably correct, but I do wonder if more cyclists got the tags, what kind of effect that would have?
N * zero is zero.

Drivers seeing cyclists on the road aren't thinking about tiny text on license plates.

Originally Posted by work4bike
I'm struck by how many cars in the various LBS's I visit don't have the Share the Road plates.
If they have no effect (which seems likely), it's arguably a waste. it's mostly a "feel good" thing for the owner.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-25-21, 12:36 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I mean, I've been close passed numerous times by drivers with bikes hanging off the back of their SUVs (often but not always MTBs, so can't solely blame that for their cluelessness about road laws, let alone etiquette)... I don't think identifying other cyclists on the road with a plate makes me feel better. If it's just about money, then I chip in with my Cascade club membership that also partly goes toward bike advocacy.

​​​​​
Old 06-25-21, 01:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I've many times had an oncoming cyclist pass the walker in front of them and get in my lane forcing me to brake hard to avoid a head on collision. Once the cyclist brushed against the walker trying to avoid me as I came to a complete stop.

So why do you expect cyclist to drive any better?

Still I don't know what your last post has to do with the first post.
Old 06-25-21, 02:16 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I can't believe the share-the-road plates trigger any more rage than the numerous other special interest plates available. Here in Illinois, for example, the state has special plates with the logos of all the pro sports teams (I think the extra money raised from sales of the plates go to each team's official charities). I have White Sox plates.... I get snide remarks and put-downs from fans of the other team at least once a week. Fortunately I haven't noticed any road rage over it.
Old 06-28-21, 07:41 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I can't believe the share-the-road plates trigger any more rage than the numerous other special interest plates available.
It's not out of the question.

Say you have a cyclist (or worse a group) and two cars come up quickly behind. First car is driven by a cyclist who properly slows waiting until they have the sight line and opposing traffic clearance to pull halfway into the incoming lane.

Impatient jerk behind sees plate and realizes the car in front is driven by "another one of THEM" and does something rash like gun it around both car and cyclists at a blind curve, or be pointlessly aggressive when the lead car does find a good opportunity.

Years ago I'd commute past an absurd 15 mph school speed limit sign. I say absurd because around 25 was about the slowest you could go with following traffic, or they'd blast around you at 40 in frustration, drastically outweighing the difference between 15 and 25.
Old 06-28-21, 07:45 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I mean, I've been close passed numerous times by drivers with bikes hanging off the back of their SUVs (often but not always MTBs, so can't solely blame that for their cluelessness about road laws, let alone etiquette)...​​​​
Never thought about that, will have to start looking more closely.
Old 06-30-21, 12:39 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I found an article from last year about the Washington Share the Road plates. It mentioned that in recent years sales of the plates have declined. Never having bought any special plates before, I started thinking about whether to buy one when renewing my tabs next year.

I do wonder about their efficacy and whether they're more performative than influential. Or worse, will they trigger road rage in the latent psychotic drivers who loses rational thought upon seeing a bike in the road -- the population who consistently shows themselves whenever I'm out with their telltale braindead acts of close-passing at all costs even when they're only going a further 30 feet to turn into the next driveway or stop at the red light.

And is "Share the Road" the verbiage that goes over with those who see no value in prioritizing anything outside their vehicle? To the ones who need to understand but are the least receptive, I could see it come across like an order violating their basic human right to have exclusive ownership of whatever street they're on and to decide who lives or dies based on how many seconds they saved in driving.
​​​​
You keep worrying about those latent psychotic drivers
Old 06-30-21, 12:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Oregon has "Share the Road" plates:

Last fall I licensed my pickup, and decided not to get them because stigma against pickup trucks. I may get the plates for a different vehicle sometime.

I also licensed the pickup shortly after a particularly rough fire season in which my house was evacuated (but not burnt).

I opted for Smokey Bear plates instead.

Old 06-30-21, 01:45 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 191 Posts
Was not aware when I got Share the Road plates in North Carolina that I would be paying the premium every year when I renewed my registration. Thought the surcharge was a one time deal.
Old 07-05-21, 07:00 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
I can't imagine these having any effect. People don't read license plates unless they have a reason to read them. They would sooner read a bumper sticker at a red light than a license plate.
Old 07-06-21, 11:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
I can't imagine these having any effect. People don't read license plates unless they have a reason to read them. They would sooner read a bumper sticker at a red light than a license plate.
I think people may be generally aware of some of the different plate series.

Hopefully some of the "Share the Road" plate extra fees support some type of cycling advocacy or infrastructure.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-13-21, 03:14 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
It's not out of the question.

Say you have a cyclist (or worse a group) and two cars come up quickly behind. First car is driven by a cyclist who properly slows waiting until they have the sight line and opposing traffic clearance to pull halfway into the incoming lane.

Impatient jerk behind sees plate and realizes the car in front is driven by "another one of THEM" and does something rash like gun it around both car and cyclists at a blind curve, or be pointlessly aggressive when the lead car does find a good opportunity.

Years ago I'd commute past an absurd 15 mph school speed limit sign. I say absurd because around 25 was about the slowest you could go with following traffic, or they'd blast around you at 40 in frustration, drastically outweighing the difference between 15 and 25.
If you really believe in your theory about a random Share The Road license plate triggering a driver into aggression I don’t know how you can expect anyone to take you seriously on the subject
Old 07-23-21, 05:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I rode 44 miles today. All the cars, dump trucks and traffic on the two lane country roads were great except for one tiny car that passed me on the outbound and then an 1hr 20min later the same car passed me again.

I could tell they weren't happy with me being on their road. First time they buzzed me real close on a straight away with plenty of visibility and no on coming traffic. On the return trip they buzzed me again, this time in a blind curb. Thankfully no opposite traffic.

I thought of this thread when I saw their tag. Let's not get political or stuff here, but it was "choose life". I guess they only care about the unborn! <grin>