Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Min saddle height

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Min saddle height

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-21, 05:56 AM
Jahwah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Min saddle height

I have a cheap 2nd hand folder to take in campervan. Im 6ft 2in and it's supposed to cope with up to 6ft 4in. However the min saddle height mark is way too low for me but another 2 or 3 niches makes it ok. The saddle Pole is 56cm long, the min mark is 27cm from the bottom end but 21cm from the end fits me ok. Any advice? I know min marks are there for good reason but do others ignore it? I'm only gonna be pottering about, max 20 odd miles in a day on bike paths and quiet roads. Cheers all.
Old 06-30-21, 06:18 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
You need a longer seatpost. What diameter is your post? There are telescopic posts in some sizes. Some ignore min insert mark but only a tad, say a half inch.
Old 06-30-21, 06:32 AM
Jahwah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
You need a longer seatpost. What diameter is your post? There are telescopic posts in some sizes. Some ignore min insert mark but only a tad, say a half inch.
Hi thanks for quick reply. The diameter is 30mm. I can see a longer post is the correct solution (at least another 6cm?) but as it's not my 'proper' bike i don't really want to invest in it. I get impression that as supplied these things don't handle 6 footers.
Old 06-30-21, 06:55 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
They might handle a 6 footer as I am that but will not handle bigger than that. It would be nice to know the model of bike you have as there are many different kinds and styles of folders. Roger
Old 06-30-21, 09:23 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
At 6'2" you are probably not a super lightweight so I would not test that pole. They aren't expensive. Get a used one off ebay or something. If it fails while you're riding, you won't enjoy it.
Old 07-04-21, 04:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I exceed the seatpost height on only one bike, the bike on my indoor trainer, but that bike never moves anywhere and never hits any bumps.

When you say 30mm, most bike seatposts are measured to the tenth of a mm. If you measured it with a ruler, it is best to look at the post for the actual number stamped on it as most seatposts have the diameter clearly marked on it. If it says 30.0mm, then it is the 30 you said it was.