Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saw a snake today

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saw a snake today

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-21, 04:06 AM
Murf58

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Saw a snake today

Another month and spring will be upon us here in Australia - saw my first snake of the ‘new season’ today while out gravel biking
A very healthy red belly black snake - beautiful and very relaxed. I much prefer these over eastern brown snakes!

Likes For Murf58:
Old 07-31-21, 07:10 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I sometime go to the bike path near here and I've been seeing these red snakes, I think they're Red Racers. They're about 4 feet long and they are fast. They move so quickly it's amazing.
Old 07-31-21, 05:54 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Not that I really miss them, but I have yet to see a rattler this summer. Not in the Park out the back or on the Rail Trail.
Other years they would get into our garden looking for moisture.

Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 07-31-21, 06:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRailfan
Not that I really miss them, but I have yet to see a rattler this summer. Not in the Park out the back or on the Rail Trail.
I could use one of those in my garden, to deal with all the rodents enjoying my vegetables.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-31-21, 08:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
The danger noodles that hang out near our house are much less dangerous than a rattler, although there are rattlers nearby.
Old 07-31-21, 10:57 PM
big john

Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRailfan
Some years I see a lot more rattlers than other years. Last time I saw one he was sitting on the trail where I wanted to go on my mtb. I tossed a pebble his way to get him (her?) to move and he whipped around so angrily I was glad to be far enough away. He was pissed!
At my last house I lived in a canyon and rattlers were in the yard sometimes. My landlord lived next door and one day he was shooting at a snake under his van. It was just a 22 with snake loads but it sounded like a cannon in that canyon.
Old 08-01-21, 12:41 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I see danger noodles and nope-ropes often on bike rides, especially in spring and early summer. By mid-summer they're hiding out most of the time. I like to protect them whenever practical because they do a lot of good. Same with our native turkey buzzards and other scavengers. The world would be a stinky mess without them, so I try to give 'em plenty of room to do their disgusting but essential business.

Usually I'll stop and shoo them off the road or path, including rattlers and water moccasins. Rattlers dislike being squirted with water, so a squirt from my water bottle will do the trick. Cottonmouths can be more stubborn and ignore water splashes. Sometimes I'll use my air pump or find a stick to nudge them along. As long as they aren't coiled or in an "S" shape they have very limited strike range.

With non-venomous sneks I'll just use my foot or hand to shoo them off the road. Same with tarantulas. Bites can become infected but most critters avoid fighting anything obviously larger so it doesn't take much to get them moving toward safety.
Old 08-01-21, 09:31 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Originally Posted by canklecat

...................Rattlers dislike being squirted with water, so a squirt from my water bottle will do the trick. Cottonmouths can be more stubborn and ignore water splashes. Sometimes I'll use my air pump or find a stick to nudge them along. As long as they aren't coiled or in an "S" shape they have very limited strike range.

With non-venomous sneks I'll just use my foot or hand to shoo them off the road. Same with tarantulas. Bites can become infected but most critters avoid fighting anything obviously larger so it doesn't take much to get them moving toward safety.
The one large rattler one summer was hiding out in a corner at the side of the house, so I moved him to a more suitable place and at intervals misted him with water, he stayed there quite a while and then moved on.

Snake transporter,

They slide on there and off we go, out into their natural habitat (Provincial Park).
Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 08-01-21, 11:36 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I’ve read that all wildlife in Australia is out to kill you, no?

Old 08-01-21, 12:43 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Nah, it's just that they have an exotic variety of critters that we are not familiar with.
Old 08-02-21, 05:56 AM
Murf58

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
There are certainly a few angry animals in Australia that can get you into trouble if you are not careful - can sometimes feels like they are trying to kill you, all part of the experience! Lots of eastern brown snakes where I ride - and compared to other snakes they just seem more likely to be aggressive if surprised or they feel threatened, I don’t like them and am always extra wary riding during summer, had a few close calls over the years.
Magpies are a real pain in the arse in spring, a bloke died coming off his bike a couple years ago after being distracted while riding. Mainly they just swoop but they will scratch your neck or rip an ear, and there are a few eye injuries reported every year. Plenty of dangerous spiders, venomous ants, wasps and don’t get me started on what’s in the ocean....😬 🦈

Angry brown snake - these can kill a human within half an hour if proper first aid isn’t given (snake starts at 7:20)

Last edited by Murf58; 08-03-21 at 02:56 PM.
Likes For Murf58:
Old 08-03-21, 09:11 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts

Big rattler on the trail

Just waiting him out.
Being from Canada I don’t have much experience with venomous snakes. So when we ran into this guy near St. George we just gave him plenty of time and space to clear the trail.
Likes For Mountain Mitch:
Old 08-03-21, 10:30 AM
encode2

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Escape 2.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are several different animal types here in Florida that can cause serious damage.(alligators, snakes, spiders)
Old 08-03-21, 10:49 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Safety tip...

Old 08-03-21, 03:42 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
On my few MTB rides this summer, I've seen lots of slither tracks in soft dirt. But haven't seen a snake yet. If I could get just the one second sound clip from my cheapo action camera, I HEARD a buzzworm just off the trail, but never saw it...
Old 08-04-21, 06:49 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
sheesh, glad I live where I live, where the only snakes I see our little Gardner snakes. Almost cute compared to the ones in your pictures. I don't mind snakes as long as I don't have to worry about them.
Old 08-04-21, 08:20 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
When I lived in the northeast, would often ride the many rail trails in PA, as well as other states. We were in PA, riding a rail trail (forget which) and came upon an area where there were several people with snake poles and bags. They were catching eastern rattlers so they could be milked and anti-venom prepared. We were told by one to move over to the left, as he spotted a rattler on the right side of the trail (we didn't see it, but he knew "how to look") Didn't go any further, back to our vehicles and onto another trail! Don't often see snakes, riding more road than off-road now. Miss the rail-trails and mtn.bike trails we used to ride. Don't miss the snakes.
Old 08-05-21, 04:54 AM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Oh! I hate snakes. Anyway, I've read an article which states that snakes bite cyclists because of fear. But, in reality, I think its the other way around