Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What tool do I need to unfasten my back wheel? (Photo)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-21, 05:37 PM
Blaq

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I got a bike trailer and need to unfasten my back wheel to install the bike hitch. I would need some type of 3/16" Allen key with a hole in the middle to fit the pin. (As a new member, I can't post photos, but the image is on imgur at HCNbkql .) What is the name of this tool? Thanks.
Old 08-01-21, 06:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
I can't find the image but it sounds like some sort of locking skewer. There are various brands. Pitlock, Pinhead, etc. Google locking skewer and see if one looks like what you have.
Old 08-01-21, 06:48 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaq
Hello everyone,

I got a bike trailer and need to unfasten my back wheel to install the bike hitch. I would need some type of 3/16" Allen key with a hole in the middle to fit the pin. (As a new member, I can't post photos, but the image is on imgur at HCNbkql .) What is the name of this tool? Thanks.
This doesn't work:
https://imgur.com/gallery/HCNbkql

Fix that and then split it up and we can help with the photo... like this : http s://imgur. com/gallery/HCNbkql
Old 08-01-21, 07:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
@Blaq's Album:

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/543007
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/22081262

As expected, it looks like some kind of security skewer.

But, you're in luck that it is a basic 6-point allen wrench nut with the security hole.

Do you have the size from flat to flat?

Harbor Freight sells security bits (one set may be limited to 1/4"), as well as many auto parts stores.

I'd encourage you to have the tools to remove your wheel in case you need to do maintenance. You'll have to judge the security needs in your neighborhood and the way you use the bike.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-01-21, 08:13 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Or you can grab it with pliers & loosen it up, remove it & replace it with something more conventional.

Your local bike shop will have conventional skewers for sale. Usually around ~$20 a set.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 08-01-21, 09:25 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Or you can grab it with pliers & loosen it up, remove it & replace it with something more conventional.

Your local bike shop will have conventional skewers for sale. Usually around ~$20 a set.
Black cap on many security skewer set ups may spin unless the tool is inserted.
otherwise it would just be a cap nut, and not secure the wheel.
May need to destructively remove the security skewer. Other end looks. like what?

Oh I just hate those things. If I have to think like a thief, they have stolen a part of me.
Old 08-01-21, 09:53 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
No need to destroy the axle to undo it. Either buy the proper security Allen wrench mentioned above to preserve the security feature or just stick a screwdriver in the head and lever it against the stud in the center to break it off and a standard Allen tool will work. Personally I would just buy the proper security wrenches which can also be used on all standard Allen heads.
Old 08-02-21, 02:35 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaq
Hello everyone,

Most likely not a 3/16" size but metric, possibly 5 or 6mm and it would be called a Tamper Resistant Hex Key - check this out

https://www.mcmaster.com/metric-allen-keys/system-of-measurement~metric/for-drive-style~tamper-resistant-hex/individual-set~set/driver-style~l-key/

Old 08-02-21, 02:58 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
And the HF security bit set.

https://www.harborfreight.com/securi...-pc-68457.html

There are a few different styles that might work. You may need more torque than a screwdriver gives you. So, for example a 1/4" wrench.
Old 08-02-21, 04:58 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Not always that easy. The black sleeve around the Allen head can spin, and need to be compressed hard enough against the Allen head to bring the Allen with it when you turn it.