Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

saddle problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 07:19 AM
bigal71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
saddle problems

saddle problems I've just bought a roger black spin bike put a gel cover on it but omg its so painful any tips outthere please
Old 07-08-20, 07:30 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Thread moved from Introductions forum to General Cycling Discussion forum.
Old 07-08-20, 07:41 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Take gel cover off. Is it the mushy gel covering that is causing the discomfort?
Likes For Gconan:
Old 07-08-20, 07:50 AM
bigal71

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
Take gel cover off. Is it the mushy gel covering that is causing the discomfort?
no its the seat thats causing the problem its a weird shape tbh not good
Old 07-08-20, 07:55 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
No pain no gain.

It took this mortal about 4 months of daily seat time to get somewhat comfortable on my fluid trainer. And I had been riding bikes outside for many months before that. I guess you could say there really isn't a product that you can buy that will eliminate all discomfort without any built-up endurance. You might find a saddle that helps but it's probably still going to take some time to build up the endurance/muscles. Hard work will come with a payday the only unknown is what day that is and how much labor is required.
Old 07-08-20, 08:07 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by bigal71
no its the seat thats causing the problem its a weird shape tbh not good
Perhaps you could swap the uncomfortable one for a different shape? Perhaps where you purchased it they sell other seats? One shape does not fit all. Can this indoor trainer accept a regular bicycle seat? Or are you stuck with something from that manufacturer? I can certainly sympathize. On my 3rd ride on two of my bikes I was in so much pain I wasn't going to be able to ride anymore. I tried another seat and the godless pain went away immediately. I suggest to try another seat with a different shape.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 07-08-20, 11:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
there are so many "which saddle?" threads going, on the internet, they exceed the several thousand different saddles being made..
Old 07-08-20, 11:42 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Why can't someone in charge just tell us what saddle we must use?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-08-20, 12:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Why can't someone in charge just tell us what saddle we must use?
you don’t need one until one day you do, and you have to save the best ones for the professionals so their supply doesn’t run out, Because we could have made enough and saved them, but we didn’t. Soon, using one or not becomes a way of signaling your virtue to your chosen tribe
Old 07-08-20, 12:42 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
The saddle in the pictures does look a little bit strange, but I’m not sure if it’s just the color of the cover. Anyway, it’s just a regular bike saddle, so you can replace it with anything you like. If your seat height is well below the handlebars, try something wider. The above people are right that it stops hurting, but you don’t have to inflict the max pain on yourself until it stops.

The next saddle I buy is going to be a Fabric brand. Not because I have especially high hopes that it will be better than the last one, but because they sponsor a paralyzed rider who they continue to support since his injury, even setting him up with university and corporate R&D for his seat on his e bike and hand cycles, and I think that’s pretty cool.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-08-20, 05:27 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
Gconan is correct, dump the gel cover. There are many aspects to getting a saddle position comfortable. Have you tried any adjustment to seat height, angle or forward/backward position? Do an internet search for "Sheldon Brown Saddles" to start your quest for bicycle seat nirvana. Getting a comfortable fits is a trial and error effort. Your handlebar reach and height may also be a factor.
Old 07-08-20, 09:56 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
I never had any pain on leather saddle but you'd get some arguments on that so I won't go there.
The point is, different butts like different saddles. Terry makes some good comfortable saddles. Ideally I'd say try as many as you can but that's not so easy these days. Too soft is never good though. The compression spreads to soft tissue that isn't meant for support. Keeping just your sit bones cuddled is your goal. Lowering the handlebars takes weight off your butt and puts in on your hands which can create its own problems. That is more easily fixed however. Lastly some have suggested it takes a while for your body to get used to cycling. That's true but I don't think pain should be in the equation so make sure your fit is good, your saddle supports your sit bones and then, shut down at anything approaching pain for 5 min or so at least.😁
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 07-08-20, 10:12 PM
SpectrumTi

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
First thing, measure your “sit-bones” so you get a proper width saddle. Realize that any bike that is fixed in place will likely get uncomfortable after awhile. You aren’t moving around as much or out of the saddle as much as when out on the road. Chamois cream might buy you some time before discomfort sets in. It is the nature of the beast.
Old 07-08-20, 11:52 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I use a WTB Pure V on my mountain bikes. I liked it so much I am using one on my road bike.

I only brought this up since you will be riding off-road.

John
Likes For 70sSanO: