Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why pay extra for Trek or Specialized?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why pay extra for Trek or Specialized?

Old 10-28-21, 10:36 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Doesn't Giant make some of the bikes for Trek and Specialized? You might be buying a Giant made bike anyway.
Old 10-28-21, 10:42 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Can someone tell me why these differently equipped bikes cost different prices???
Old 10-28-21, 11:34 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Doesn't Giant make some of the bikes for Trek and Specialized? You might be buying a Giant made bike anyway.
Probably true, but they make them to the design and spec of Trek and Specialized, so they are different bikes.
What you can say though is that Giant are very competent at manufacturing bikes and, being the largest producer in the world, they have economies of scale making them generally very competitive on pricing.
What Giant lack is brand cache. I have a Giant Defy and it is an excellent endurance bike, but it doesn't have any soul/character/X-factor or whatever you want to call it. But then again Trek and Specialized don't do much for me in that respect either. They are all bikes you see literally everywhere. I would get the one that you like the best. They are all decent bikes.
Old 10-28-21, 02:33 PM
Dimago123

Bikes: Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
If you’re dying for rim brakes I have the perfect bike for you…
what bike is that
Old 10-28-21, 02:35 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimago123
what bike is that
2019 Cervelo R3 w/ Ultegra Di2

Old 10-28-21, 02:37 PM
Dimago123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
2019 Cervelo R3 w/ Ultegra Di2

are you offering to sell it to me? Or just joking around?
What size frame ( if serious)
Old 10-28-21, 02:38 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
are you offering to sell it to me? Or just joking around?
What size frame ( if serious)
Its not for sale yet. Maybe in a couple of months. Size 56
Old 10-30-21, 02:45 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Important to look at the customer support provided by the manufacturer and the shop where you intend to purchase the bike. I have purchased 3 Specialized and 1 Scott bike this year and the pre and post sale experience varied greatly. The nearest Giant dealer is a 90 minute drive or 3 hours round trip so I would never consider buying a Giant bike for that reason alone. The 3 Trek bike shops near me are all owned by the same person and he hired a part time manager to oversee all three shops. This does not work at all well for the customer experience as I found out when shopping for a Trek Domane + HP and I ended up buying two Specialized Turbo Creo SL bikes instead.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 11-01-21, 06:22 PM
viffer
Live to Ride

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
In the good old days you would drop by your local LBS and try out a bunch of different bikes and buy the one you liked most. Bikes vary in terms of fit, comfort, performance, feel, weight, build quality, durability and visual appeal. I remember in the past I could never get a Giant frame to fit right. They assumed their compact geometry allowed them to get away with making only four or five frame sizes but I always felt I was somewhere in between. The Treks always felt good right out of the box and could be dialed in perfectly by the LBS. Fit is always critical. Buy the bike that fits and feels right.
Old 11-02-21, 02:00 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
maybe I was rounding up in my head. But it was like $2300 for TCR and $3200 for the specialized

I should say, that lower end TCR comes with rim brakes and the trek and specialized carbon models are disc only. In Chicago where I live there is very little elevation. Very flat. And I don’t ride in the rain. So why pay more for a heavier disc tech? And hydraulic needs occasional bleeding. Ugh

I’m just thinking out loud before committing. I hope more options are available soon around here and I can ride a couple different bikes to see how they actually feel
If you have narrowed it down to those three and are able to test ride all three of them and neither of them stands out, you should definitely go with the Giant if you are okay with rim brakes.
Bikes in general depreciate greatly. Worrying about an unquantified amount of that depreciation at time of purchase is just plain silly.
Old 11-02-21, 01:26 PM
Calsun
Banned

Be sure you are comparing apples to apples in terms of the brakes, derailleurs, and drivetrain, as this is where manufacturers make choices to meet a given price point. It may not matter but if you decide to upgrade components later it will cost you more than to get a higher grade model with them installed by the factory. In terms of reach there is no need to stay with the factory installed stem and changing to one that is longer or shorter may make a great deal of difference in riding comfort.

Something I like very much about Specialized is their incredibly broad range of bike families with very different frame geometry choices for their road bikes. Giant and Trek are much larger companies but they do not come close to offering this range.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 11-02-21, 03:09 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Looking to get a new race geo bike and looking at the 105 equipped Giant TCR that is comparably equipped about $1000 less than the Trek Emonda sl5 or specialized tarmac sl6. What gives?? Is it just branding? Marketing? Would a noob like myself know the difference? Should I save the thousand and get nicer wheels down the line??
Giant is one of the biggest wolf of the industry. They have an enormous purchasing power, resulting in their ability to produce and sell good bicycles at more than competitive prices. For instance, they manufacture their composite (CF) in house instead of buying it, and produce their framesets in house as well instead of having them manufacturer by the other big players like some of them do.

If you compare a Giant bike to an equally equipped bike from another manufacturer (make sure you are comparing apples with apple as there may be slight differences between the two bikes), Giant will most likely always be cheaper.

If you are a ''noob'' and like the ''general feel'' of the Giant bicycle you tried at a LBS, then I would say go ahead and buy it. Ride it like you stole it!

Last edited by eduskator; 11-02-21 at 03:12 PM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 11-02-21, 03:56 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Be sure you are comparing apples to apples in terms of the brakes, derailleurs, and drivetrain, as this is where manufacturers make choices to meet a given price point. It may not matter but if you decide to upgrade components later it will cost you more than to get a higher grade model with them installed by the factory. .
It depends on what configuration you want. Simple example.. you like the Tarmac SL6 (105 version) but want electronic drivetrain. Better off buying a Di2 upgrade kit for an SL6 or going to the first model they sell with Di2?

Last edited by Sy Reene; 11-02-21 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-02-21, 10:45 PM
weekend30rider

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Probably true, but they make them to the design and spec of Trek and Specialized, so they are different bikes.
What you can say though is that Giant are very competent at manufacturing bikes and, being the largest producer in the world, they have economies of scale making them generally very competitive on pricing.
What Giant lack is brand cache. I have a Giant Defy and it is an excellent endurance bike, but it doesn't have any soul/character/X-factor or whatever you want to call it. But then again Trek and Specialized don't do much for me in that respect either. They are all bikes you see literally everywhere. I would get the one that you like the best. They are all decent bikes.
I wrestle with this TBO. My brain tells me the Defy is as good as any other endurance bike (+/- slight variations I couldn’t appreciate), and I also know they don’t market as well as the other brands. But my system 1 brain screams it needs one of the sexier brands and that I wouldn’t be happy without a Cervelo or maybe Specialized.
Old 11-04-21, 07:28 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
My primary road bike is a Giant. I compared a wide variety of bikes when I bought that bike and it was really easy to go with Giant. Not to sound like an ad for Giant, but here's what I percieve:

1. Giant road bikes routinely are highly rated in reviews and routinely win comparison tests.
2. Giant bikes are well known to have some of the best and most advanced carbon quality offered. Giant is vertically integrated and their scale allows them to do things at a reasonable cost that few other manufacturers can do. For example, check out the carbon construction on the TCR Advanced SL. They weave their own carbon and use very advanced and accurate automated layup and molding techniques. The result is very light, durable and affordable frames that ride very well.
3. Giant routinely has a better spec at a better price. Giant throws in good dual-sided power meters starting at midrange prices. Giant specs very modern hookless carbon wheels and rebranded DT Swiss hubs at very low prices. For a comparable build, a Giant is always going to be 10-20% lower than Trek or Specialized and often has better parts even with that discount.
4. Giant is well known among mechanics for being relatively easy to work on. There's little fluff in Giant bikes, everything is relatively simple and tried-and-true. Their internal routing is easy. Their headset designs are sometimes weirdly sized but simple in their engineering. They use the BB86 standard, which is generally known to be the most problem free press fit standard, and their BBs have better tolerances than almost any brand. Their seatposts don't slip. Etc.
5. Giant has one of the best carbon warranties on the market.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 11-07-21, 11:29 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I like the specs on the Giant fat bike but wish they had a carbon version.
Old 11-07-21, 11:49 AM
Calsun
Banned

When buying a Specialized Stumpjumper last month the price for the alloy frame bike was $3,500 and $4,200 for the carbon back in February. In October the price for the carbon frame version (otherwise identical components) was $4,700 or a $1,200 premium for the carbon frame. For my own riding paying $1,200 to have a 3 lb lighter trail bike was not worth it and I bought the alloy version.
Old 11-13-21, 12:57 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
+1 Giant - it's the brand for discerning folks who aren't into wank. The fact they're a bit cheaper is a reflection of the fact they're a proper huge company, of a scale only rivaled by Shimano in the bike industry, so they stand to have the best R&D, like Shimano.

And TCRs are proper weapons. I'm not a fan of the oversized steerer or the pressfit BB, so mine's an 06, but I'm just picky.

Mind you, they did completely stuff up the gear cable routing on the 1st_gen Propel, and those fiddly boat-anchor cable to hydro adapters they stuck on everything for a while were just awful, so they're not perfect, but they're as good as Shimano, so top tier.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 11-13-21, 05:13 AM
Dimago123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by weekend30rider
I wrestle with this TBO. My brain tells me the Defy is as good as any other endurance bike (+/- slight variations I couldn’t appreciate), and I also know they don’t market as well as the other brands. But my system 1 brain screams it needs one of the sexier brands and that I wouldn’t be happy without a Cervelo or maybe Specialized.
i can relate to this. Some companies spend more on cool advertising and have a reputation to be sexy like you said. On one ride with some dudes a bunch of people came up to us bc one guy had a new BMC road machine and everyone was gushing. I had a pretty rare steel bike with Columbus zona tubing and no one cared
Old 11-13-21, 01:12 PM
Calsun
Banned

Best R&D is with Specialized and it shows in the key patents they have held for the past 20 years for MTB components. Shimano is most likely having their parts made in China or Malaysia and not in Taiwan. Taiwan provides much higher quality for manufacturing but labor costs are higher as they do not use slave labor in any form. German companies have their products designed in Germany and often manufactured in Taiwan. Specialized is currently having its bike made in Taiwan which further reflects on the quality of this country's manufacturers.

These companies have benefited from their ability to get bank loans to finance new tooling and new factories. In the USA funding for small manufacturers dried up completely after 2008 and more than 2 million machinists in Ohio alone found themselves out on the street. Great way to cripple unions but at a high cost to workers and their familiers. I have had my company's tools made in Taiwan for the past 15 years and some made in China for the past 10 years. When I spent 6 months trying to find a company in the USA to manufacture a brand new high end tool there was no one to be found. All said they could not get loans from their bank and this was after working with them for 30 years.

Most of what is shown as made in the USA is actually made in Asia and then shipped to Mexico and assembled or boxed and then, with NAFTA, it can then be taken across the border and sold with a USA source of origin label.

This year I bought two Specialized e-bikes for road and a Specialized Stumpjumper full suspension MTB and this was after spending weeks looking at what was available to buy and the components supplied on the various bikes. It is far easier in the current situation to buy a bike that is already equipped with most of what you want instead of trying to find items on the Web. Even so I am having to buy and install a dropper post on my hardtail as this is still considered an extra by all the bike companies for bikes priced below $2,000. One more reason to work with the people at a local bike shop. Money spent in your community is "recycled" many times whereas money spent at a mail order company or at a Wal-Mart immediately leaves the community. I support local jobs with my wallet.
Old 11-13-21, 07:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
i can relate to this. Some companies spend more on cool advertising and have a reputation to be sexy like you said. On one ride with some dudes a bunch of people came up to us bc one guy had a new BMC road machine and everyone was gushing. I had a pretty rare steel bike with Columbus zona tubing and no one cared
Everyone is different, and if you want to spend more money and get less bike so your friends will be impressed, go for it.

or ... buy some decals of their favorite brand and slap them on your cheaper, better Giant.
Old 11-13-21, 08:18 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
or ... buy some decals of their favorite brand and slap them on your cheaper, better Giant.
Maybe it's just me, but to my eye, quality speaks for itself... Giant doesn't bother with their high-end Cadex brand much at all, and on this bad boy, originally equipped with 7800 and retailing for AU$8.5k, they totally undercut Shimano's decision not to splash their name on Dura-Ace with blinging versions of the Shimano chainstay decals you see on BSOs (the decals that look white in this pic are brushed metal). Leaning into it.

Likes For Kimmo:
Old 11-14-21, 05:20 AM
hose
Miyata Mike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Best R&D is with Specialized and it shows in the key patents they have held for the past 20 years for MTB components. Shimano is most likely having their parts made in China or Malaysia and not in Taiwan. Taiwan provides much higher quality for manufacturing but labor costs are higher as they do not use slave labor in any form. German companies have their products designed in Germany and often manufactured in Taiwan. Specialized is currently having its bike made in Taiwan which further reflects on the quality of this country's manufacturers.

These companies have benefited from their ability to get bank loans to finance new tooling and new factories. In the USA funding for small manufacturers dried up completely after 2008 and more than 2 million machinists in Ohio alone found themselves out on the street. Great way to cripple unions but at a high cost to workers and their familiers. I have had my company's tools made in Taiwan for the past 15 years and some made in China for the past 10 years. When I spent 6 months trying to find a company in the USA to manufacture a brand new high end tool there was no one to be found. All said they could not get loans from their bank and this was after working with them for 30 years.

Most of what is shown as made in the USA is actually made in Asia and then shipped to Mexico and assembled or boxed and then, with NAFTA, it can then be taken across the border and sold with a USA source of origin label.

This year I bought two Specialized e-bikes for road and a Specialized Stumpjumper full suspension MTB and this was after spending weeks looking at what was available to buy and the components supplied on the various bikes. It is far easier in the current situation to buy a bike that is already equipped with most of what you want instead of trying to find items on the Web. Even so I am having to buy and install a dropper post on my hardtail as this is still considered an extra by all the bike companies for bikes priced below $2,000. One more reason to work with the people at a local bike shop. Money spent in your community is "recycled" many times whereas money spent at a mail order company or at a Wal-Mart immediately leaves the community. I support local jobs with my wallet.

It's almost a certainty that Specialized bikes are made on the mainland and shipped to TPE for paint
Old 08-26-22, 07:20 PM
Dimago123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
After finally buying the TCR - I have ONE good reason that in the future I would pay extra for Trek or Specialized or BMC or Cervelo, etc

Here's the reason - if the local bike shop carries other brands - I would only buy from the local bike shop - because stuff goes wrong with mass produced bikes, and it's easy to have the seller of the bike close by.

The Giant TCR I purchased from a bike shop in a Chicago suburb, and now that there's a creak somewhere (BB? wheel spoke?), I need to drive 30 minutes to drop the bike off, then drive again to pick it up - total waste of time. The shop next to my home sell Specialized, and I would totally spend an extra few hundred to have quick access to the seller for quick fixes, etc.
Old 08-26-22, 08:59 PM
Calsun
Banned

Specialized bikes as with Giant are made in Taiwan - hence the higher quality of the manufacture of these bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.