Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Just because you can doesn't mean you should

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-22, 08:17 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
If that doesn't work, breaking his kneecaps with floor pumps is next. (JUST KIDDING!)
I see you were kidding by saying you'd break his kneecaps with floor pumps. So, what will you use?
BTW, I very much like your plan including an approach to helping him improve skills.
Likes For Tony P.:
Old 02-25-22, 10:17 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
Here's the plan. He's going to be taken aside and bluntly told his bike handling isn't up to par with the group. But, since he doesn't want to ride with the stigma of being slow, some of the B riders have offered to take him out on the equivalent of a Beginners ride at a higher speed, one in front, one behind. If his handling doesn't improve, he's going to be politely but firmly asked not to enter the pacelines, but he will be able to ride behind the group if he chooses.
If that doesn't work, breaking his kneecaps with floor pumps is next. (JUST KIDDING!)
IMO...The prevailing message should be that riders in a group are all responsible for the safety of each other, which includes conforming to the standards and etiquette of group rides. The faster the speed, the higher the standards, and a rider who can't conform is a danger to everyone.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-22, 09:54 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Situation: new, older rider shows up to a club ride on his new e-bike and joins in on a B group ride (17-19 MPH) The B group likes to ride in a tight, double rotating paceline (riding two abreast is legal here) but this person has ZERO bike handling skills. He is all over the road, cannot hold a line, overlaps wheels, gaps, etc. He insists on riding with the B group, because his bike allows him to go that fast. It's gotten to the point where no one wants to ride with him. Suggestions that he join the D group (consisting of newer riders, or more experienced riders who just like to ride more casually) to gain some skills fall on deaf ears because he 'bought this bike so he didn't have to ride slow' and he insists on 'tagging along' with the faster group.
The club does not want to ban e-bikes on club rides. How would you handle this?
42 yrs ago I transitioned from fast solo touring to riding with a bike club to training with a racing club and racing. I assisted in the promotion and management of a few local races. I am now an old fart with an ebike. This ebike rider should not be in any pack riding. He should not be attempting to learn to ride in a paceline with his ebike. The club riders need to tell him firmly and clearly that he should stay a couple bike lengths behind the paceline. The mass of his ebike and power on tap makes him respond differently than the other riders regardless of skill level. Before he takes out someone he’ll probably take out himself somewhere where skills should keep him on the road and not into a ditch or guardrail.
Don’t accomodate to dangerous and clueless people.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 03-04-22, 08:21 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
This is America, people are entitled to do whatever they want, even stupid things.
Yeah, consequences can be deadly, but hey, it's America, FREEDOM to die and kill others along the way!!!

After participating in group rides, training rides, racing clubs for two decades; I stopped riding with groups about 13 years ago. Only been riding with people I know or familiar with their riding skills since.
I can ride MTB in protected open space with trailhead just 1/2 mile from my driveway, paved designated cycling trail lead to National Park 6 miles away, and even downhill cycling friendly ski resort is well within 1/2 hour drive.

Sure, ebikes allow riders of different ability to participate, that's the consequence when you have all different ability of riders riding in groups.
I would imagine ebikes should get their own ebike group rides and sort out the cycling abilities themselves accordingly.

Last edited by cat0020; 03-04-22 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-04-22, 09:02 AM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Situation: new, older rider shows up to a club ride on his new e-bike and joins in on a B group ride (17-19 MPH) The B group likes to ride in a tight, double rotating paceline (riding two abreast is legal here) but this person has ZERO bike handling skills. He is all over the road, cannot hold a line, overlaps wheels, gaps, etc. He insists on riding with the B group, because his bike allows him to go that fast. It's gotten to the point where no one wants to ride with him. Suggestions that he join the D group (consisting of newer riders, or more experienced riders who just like to ride more casually) to gain some skills fall on deaf ears because he 'bought this bike so he didn't have to ride slow' and he insists on 'tagging along' with the faster group.
The club does not want to ban e-bikes on club rides. How would you handle this?
There's nothing unique to e-bikes about this, and clubs with pacelines have long since worked out ways to keep fast riders lacking safe bike handling skills from joining their pacelines.

Incidentally, I don't know about your club's class rating system, but in my bike club, the "D" class is for rides under 20 miles at average moving speeds of less than 10 mph. Nobody who was capable of hanging with a 19 mph pace line would be interested in a D ride. We do have several classes where pacelining does not take place at all, ever.
Likes For palincss:
Old 03-04-22, 09:04 AM
palincss

Originally Posted by cat0020
This is America, people are entitled to do whatever they want, even stupid things.
Yeah, consequences can be deadly, but hey, it's America, FREEDOM to die and kill others along the way!!!
Nobody is entitled to ride in a paceline. It's a privilege, not a right. You are, after all, putting everybody at risk, not just yourself.
Likes For palincss:
Old 03-04-22, 09:17 AM
palincss

Originally Posted by gpburdell
You bring up a conundrum. On one hand you (and the others) have every right to tell someone you don't want them riding with you until they can do so safely. Yet on the other hand I'm unsure of what recourse you have if the individual ignores that and continues to ride along with the group if their actions don't rise to the level of harassment.
Pacelining groups have had decades of experience getting rid of people who they feel don't belong. There's no conundrum about it. You don't let them in, and if they try to hang on the back you drop them. Riding in a paceline is not like sitting next to someone in a city bus, it's much more like a highly choreographed trapeeze act. Wheels are often only inches apart, and a wheel contact at 18 mph can result in disaster for the group. You would have to be stupid indeed to allow someone you don't trust to put you in that kind of danger.
Likes For palincss:
Old 03-04-22, 09:22 AM
palincss

I highlighted that statement. How do you propose to tell someone they have no right to ride with members of a club they have joined? For that matter, how could you tell a non-club member that you come up to along the road that they aren't allowed to jump in? You can tell them it's a club only ride, and due to insurance they would not be covered should they crash and be injured. The idea being, of course, that they don't cause the crash that injures any club members. If they still hang in, do you call the police? "Hey, officer, this guy riding a bike is riding with us riding bikes!" I'm sure SWAT will be dispatched right away.
There's a difference between riding with members of a club they have joined, and riding in a pace line. You have no right to ride in a paceline, especially a double rotating paceline as the original post described. It's a privilege and a matter of trust.
Old 03-04-22, 09:25 AM
palincss

Seems the issue isn't the nature of the bike but the inexperience/inability of the rider.

But for sake of discussion, let's say a riding group disallows ebikes. Someone shows up on one. What can the group do about it?
You flat out tell them they cannot ride in your paceline. Worst case, if somebody is sucking your wheel and they won't stop, you do realize if there is a wheel to wheel contact in a situation like that, the one in front is going to notice a small thump while the one in back is going to crash.
Old 03-04-22, 09:28 AM
palincss

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Seems doable with rules and a decent leader on the road, not on a mup.
A herd of cats like the dude described in the OP, who just want to go fast because they can, not so much.
Class 3 e-bikes aren't allowed on MUPs anyway.
Old 03-04-22, 09:34 AM
palincss

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I haven't read any of the responses, but I think this is the answer, i.e.,

Either

(1) The club should ban e-bikes on all club rides.

or

(2) The club should allow two types of B-group rides:
(a) E-bike allowed.
(b) E-bike forbidden.

Option 2 would be more diplomatic, and you could even put him in charge of the 2a rides. If no one else shows up for these, then he might get the message. If they do, problem solved.

I'm suggesting this as a non-E-bike rider who has a wife who is a (reluctant) E-bike rider, and also as someone who would never want to inflict my lack of experience riding with a tight group upon anyone.
Unless you're in a racing club, you'll note that there are rides and ride classes that do not feature pacelining at all. If they don't act like jerks, there is no reason why someone on an e-bike cannot integrate perfectly well in a group ride. I belong to a couple of bike clubs that have had members riding e-bikes on rides for years now.
Old 03-04-22, 09:39 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by palincss
Unless you're in a racing club, you'll note that there are rides and ride classes that do not feature pacelining at all. If they don't act like jerks, there is no reason why someone on an e-bike cannot integrate perfectly well in a group ride. I belong to a couple of bike clubs that have had members riding e-bikes on rides for years now.
I know. My wife rides a class-1 e-bike, and although we aren't doing group rides, she rides at my (excruciatingly slow) pace or only a wee bit faster to "encourage" me.

My suggestion was aimed at this particular group/problem rider.
Old 03-04-22, 09:47 AM
palincss

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I know. My wife rides a class-1 e-bike, and although we aren't doing group rides, she rides at my (excruciatingly slow) pace or only a wee bit faster to "encourage" me.

My suggestion was aimed at this particular group/problem rider.
Perhaps you should get a class 1 e-bike too. The two of you could ride together. You could even go on club rides together. There are plenty of group rides that don't feature pacelines or other tightly clustered groups of riders.
Old 03-04-22, 10:18 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Pacelining groups have had decades of experience getting rid of people who they feel don't belong. There's no conundrum about it. You don't let them in, and if they try to hang on the back you drop them. Riding in a paceline is not like sitting next to someone in a city bus, it's much more like a highly choreographed trapeeze act. Wheels are often only inches apart, and a wheel contact at 18 mph can result in disaster for the group. You would have to be stupid indeed to allow someone you don't trust to put you in that kind of danger.
You think the OP's B group is going to be able to drop an ebike rider if he's on a class-3 with assist to 28mph?

You flat out tell them they cannot ride in your paceline. Worst case, if somebody is sucking your wheel and they won't stop, you do realize if there is a wheel to wheel contact in a situation like that, the one in front is going to notice a small thump while the one in back is going to crash.
As I'd posted, yes OP needed to be extremely clear to the new guy about the safety issues. The discussion was about what to do when such an individual "insists on tagging along" after the OP's suggestions he join the D group while he gains skills.

Your suggestion is to cause him to crash, at speed, likely causing injury and property damage.

I wouldn't advocate violence as a solution, but each to their own I guess.

Class 3 e-bikes aren't allowed on MUPs anyway.
That's not the case everywhere.

There's also the matter of enforcement - even though class3 ebikes aren't allowed on non-road-adjacent MUPs in Georgia that doesn't mean anyone bothers to enforce that law.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-04-22, 11:11 AM
palincss

You think the OP's B group is going to be able to drop an ebike rider if he's on a class-3 with assist to 28mph?
I have personally seen how an experienced pace line group has gotten rid of someone they wanted out by making creative use of a traffic light, managing to strand the offending rider at the light while the group sped away. I've also seen groups make an impromptu route change at an intersection once they got the drop-ee off the back and out of sight. Remember, these groups have been at it for in some cases 50 years. I'm sure they have a well-rehearsed repertoire of tricks. An electric motor won't save a novice.

As I'd posted, yes OP needed to be extremely clear to the new guy about the safety issues. The discussion was about what to do when such an individual "insists on tagging along" after the OP's suggestions he join the D group while he gains skills.