Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

1UP racks

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-22, 08:50 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Sorry for bombing the thread.....

Do they ever have sales or specials or anything like that?
Old 03-08-22, 09:12 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530

Not that I am aware of. Its all they can do to keep up with orders as it is.

They make a quality product for a fair price. That is their business model. They don’t advertise, they don’t play the Amazon game, they don’t give reviewers a cut of sales. And they don’t make you play the “when should I buy this?” game.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-08-22, 09:16 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts

I don't think I've seen 1UP do a sale, but that of course doesn't mean it's not occurred. I just wouldn't wait on one.

You're right, they're built to last - and you can get replacement parts - so there's a good chance the 1UP rack you buy today will still be serving you well many years down the road.

BTW - with mention of your mom riding, if you think there's a chance she might buy an ebike someday I'd suggest you look at the Super Duty double and Super Duty AddOn, as those have up to 75# capacity (total 225#)
Old 03-08-22, 09:39 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Not that I am aware of. Its all they can do to keep up with orders as it is.

They make a quality product for a fair price. That is their business model. They don’t advertise, they don’t play the Amazon game, they don’t give reviewers a cut of sales. And they don’t make you play the “when should I buy this?” game.
I didn't figure as much. I am following them on every form I can to see if I can get anything anyway. I need to wait a month to order for the funds to be fully there, outdoor season here in frozen SD doesn't fire up until May anyways.

But I like this motto, this is what we got, this is our price......
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 03-08-22, 09:41 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by gpburdell
I don't think I've seen 1UP do a sale, but that of course doesn't mean it's not occurred. I just wouldn't wait on one.

You're right, they're built to last - and you can get replacement parts - so there's a good chance the 1UP rack you buy today will still be serving you well many years down the road.

BTW - with mention of your mom riding, if you think there's a chance she might buy an ebike someday I'd suggest you look at the Super Duty double and Super Duty AddOn, as those have up to 75# capacity (total 225#)
Sorry, I meant my wife as "mom". She rides a step though hybrid deal and doesn't ride a ton with us but does often.

I didn't think about the future and options. That is really something to think about. When I can't ride my road bikes without assistance anymore I will definitely have an ebike. Nice point.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 03-08-22, 10:14 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I am a buy once cry once kind of guy.
Same here. What stopped me from getting a 1UP was the realization that I probably only haul bikes on a rack four or five times a year. If I was going to leave it on the truck full-time or use it most weekends, I wouldn't have hesitated to get one. My Sherpa lives most of its life in my garage, so for me it was a good choice when considering quality, cost, and frequency of use.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-08-22, 10:42 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Mine matches my car

Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-08-22, 10:49 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
My daughter and some friends have them and are 100% satisfied. Unfortunately, I "discovered" them after purchasing a Thule which has been flawed, but still usable after eight years.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-08-22, 11:37 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Yep, going with 1up...they just look hard to beat.

But buying in stages
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 03-08-22, 02:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Whether something is worth its asking price is entirely subjective. 1UP makes a top-of-the-line bike rack, but $700 was more than I could justify spending. Like sean.hwy, I also opted for a Kuat Sherpa, and have no regrets.
The Sherpa is $630. That is less than $700, but it doesnt seem like a significant difference when we are talking luxury bike tray options.
I looked at an NV setup a handful of years ago and really liked the Kuat setup, but the 2 bike rack was like $700 and the add-on 2 bike rack was $500. It has to all be more at this point too. I really couldnt justify $1200 to sometimes carry 4 bikes. Ended up with a Thule that was about $380 and the extension for $300. Even that was a stretch for what I think is worth the cost, given how infrequently I need to use the 4 bike option.
Kuat and 1up are both definitely nicer looking than my Thule.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-08-22, 02:36 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
I think the 1-up is worth it. If I have to replace my Kuat Sherpa 2.0*, that is what I will replace it with. The main problem is if your bike has rear or front racks, it gets rather complicated. Back when I was considering it, there was also the issue of no locking trailer hitch pin, but I think they might have addressed that now.

If I need to cary more than two bikes, I also have a roof rack with two $100 Rocky Mounts trays mounted to some Whispbars on the factory rail-rack.

FWIW I got the Kuat at Universal Cycles with a 15% discount code applied. [just checked -- they no longer do this] It sometimes goes on sale at REI.

* It is a bit mashed up now, thanks to morons rear-ending me (thankfully the rack was empty both times).

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 03-08-22 at 02:42 PM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-08-22, 02:47 PM
gpburdell

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The Sherpa is $630. That is less than $700, but it doesnt seem like a significant difference when we are talking luxury bike tray options.
I looked at an NV setup a handful of years ago and really liked the Kuat setup, but the 2 bike rack was like $700 and the add-on 2 bike rack was $500. It has to all be more at this point too. I really couldnt justify $1200 to sometimes carry 4 bikes. Ended up with a Thule that was about $380 and the extension for $300. Even that was a stretch for what I think is worth the cost, given how infrequently I need to use the 4 bike option.
Kuat and 1up are both definitely nicer looking than my Thule.
It is a solid rack -- I bought the $750 Kuat Base NV 2.0 for my wife's car when she bought an ebike with fenders. (at the time I thought I couldn't make a 1UP rack work with her bike)

Two things led me to return it though. First was that my hybrid & her ebike just didn't overlap well, and the fixed front wheel position didn't allow much adjustability. I could get a half inch clearance between one bike's seat and the other bike's brake or shift lever but that was about it. The kicker though was the swing-open rear hatch of her small SUV didn't clear the rack even when empty and tilted down. That quickly became an issue and was why we returned it.

I then got a 1UP Heavy Duty single for her car - which her rear hatch clears with ease - I lowered one of the spools a couple notches to clear her bike's rear fender, and with a couple velcro cinch straps it rides securely. Then I can adjust my hybrid on the AddOn so there's tons of clearance between seats & brake levers.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-08-22, 03:05 PM
gpburdell

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I think the 1-up is worth it. If I have to replace my Kuat Sherpa 2.0*, that is what I will replace it with. The main problem is if your bike has rear or front racks, it gets rather complicated. Back when I was considering it, there was also the issue of no locking trailer hitch pin, but I think they might have addressed that now..
FYI: the 2" receiver racks come with a locking hitch pin now.

With my wife's ebike the rear fender only comes down to about 10 o'clock so I was able to move a spool down one hole and it comes in just below the fender. Front wheel gets clamped as normal, and for safety's sake I strap both wheels to the tray with velcro cinch straps from Amazon. With my hybrid with a Topeak MTX rear fender - see here - it's fairly easy to leave the spool at the top and get it in place.

1UP also now has a Wheel Stop accessory -- the arm on one side clamps the front wheel against the wheel stop and the rear wheel is secured with a velcro cinch strap. No need to clamp against the rear fender. Be aware the bike must have a 46" wheelbase or less to use the wheel stop.

Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-08-22, 03:13 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
I have a 1up. It's a quality rack but for the price I paid some of the design features could have been done better and some of the accessories I purchased should have been included in the price. I discovered this rack after I already purchased my 1up. Had I known about this rack, I would have purchased this one instead. It's better designed and more user friendly. 1up makes you purchase all sorts of accessories to do what this rack already does out of the box. Plus with 1up if you want keyed alike locks after you purchase the rack they won't be able to do it.

https://quikrstuff.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5FV...ature=youtu.be
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-08-22, 03:44 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by prj71
I have a 1up. It's a quality rack but for the price I paid some of the design features could have been done better and some of the accessories I purchased should have been included in the price. I discovered this rack after I already purchased my 1up. Had I known about this rack, I would have purchased this one instead. It's better designed and more user friendly. 1up makes you purchase all sorts of accessories to do what this rack already does out of the box. Plus with 1up if you want keyed alike locks after you purchase the rack they won't be able to do it.

great now I want both racks!
Old 03-08-22, 03:48 PM
prj71

LOL.

Eventually I think I will purchase the Quickr Rack and sell my 1up.
Old 03-08-22, 03:49 PM
gpburdell

I'm curious which particular differences you found that you feel are must-have things QuickR includes which 1UP sells as accessories?

Looking at the Mach2 single 2" hitch and SuperDutySingle 2", the Quickr seems nice but I'm unsure what's worth it being $600 and a six month wait vs $420 and ships within a week or so. I watched the video and no must-have upgrades/changes really jumped out at me as a 1UP owner.

Thus I'm curious what I missed and/or you see differently.

Edit - also I'm not sure it's accurate to say "if you want keyed alike locks after you purchase the rack they won't be able to do it." While true they can't send you new locks keyed to the lock they included when you bought your rack previously, you certainly can buy a new lock/key portion to replace that part of the hitch lock when you buy your set of wheel locks and they'll all be keyed the same. Cost is presently $11.05.

Also means someone can't walk through hotel parking lots with a keyring of ten Yakima or Kuat keys and collect racks.

Last edited by gpburdell; 03-08-22 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-08-22, 04:38 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by gpburdell
I'm curious which particular differences you found that you feel are must-have things QuickR includes which 1UP sells as accessories?
Quickr works with everything from Road bike, to mountain bike to fat bike. If you want to put a fat bike on the 1up you have to purchase the spacer kit.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/fat-tire-spacer-kit/

If you purchase the Heavy Duty Rack (which I have) the tilt feature is a PIA. But if you want easy tilt you have to purchase the EZ Pull

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/ez-pull/

You can't use a standard off the shelf hitch pin that fits in all receivers...You have to buy theirs..

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/1-4-...placement-pin/

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/1-4-turn-coupler-lock/

Their anti-wobble mechanism also requires a special allen wrench tool. It's not integrated like QuickrR which requires no special tools.

Edit - also I'm not sure it's accurate to say "if you want keyed alike locks after you purchase the rack they won't be able to do it. While true they can't send you new locks keyed to the lock they included when you bought your rack previously, you certainly can buy a new lock/key portion to replace that part of the hitch lock when you buy your set of wheel locks and they'll all bey keyed the same. Cost is presently $11.05.
I purchased the hitch pin lock and two wheel locks when I bought the rack. After that I decided I wanted a couple more wheel locks and fat bike wheel locks. When I asked for keyed alike to match my current ones they told me they couldn't do it. Quickr will match after the fact.

The same lock & key is used to lock the rack into the hitch, the Add-ons together, and the ramp accessory to the Add-ons. If you wish to purchase an additional Add-on later down the road, we can look up what variation of lock you have and match it.

https://quikrstuff.com/the-quikrstuf...k-and-add-ons/
Old 03-08-22, 04:44 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

the quickr has at least 6 month waiting or longer...WOW... And the prices are more than 1up. Not saying it is worth it either but getting higher in price isn't a great thing. Features are nice. this rack set up for 3 bikes is going to be way too much.

1 bike rack 600, then each add on is another 400? That is way more than I can justify. $1400 is just too much when 1up is the same thing/set up for almost half.

I no longer what the quikr. It looks awesome but just not feasible.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 03-08-22, 06:59 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
At some point, I sort of just quick looking at prices, they were close enough to not be a factor. One other thing I liked with the 1UP, made in the US.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-08-22, 07:56 PM
prj71

the quickr has at least 6 month waiting or longer...WOW... And the prices are more than 1up. Not saying it is worth it either but getting higher in price isn't a great thing. Features are nice. this rack set up for 3 bikes is going to be way too much.

1 bike rack 600, then each add on is another 400? That is way more than I can justify. $1400 is just too much when 1up is the same thing/set up for almost half.

I no longer what the quikr. It looks awesome but just not feasible.
1up Heavy Duty Bike Rack - $685
EZ Pull so that it work work like QuickR - $80
Fat Bike Spacer Kit x 2 = $76
Custom locking hitch pin = $26
2 wheel locks for 29er or road bikes =$46
2 wheel locks for fat bikes = $46
Total = $959

QuickR 2 bike rack that already includes everything above except wheel locks = $1000
QuickR wheel locks that cover all bikes x 2 = $100
Total = $1100

QuickR is a little more but designed way better. And it too is also made in the US in Colorado.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-08-22, 09:36 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Total = $959

QuickR 2 bike rack that already includes everything above except wheel locks = $1000
Total = $1100

QuickR is a little more but designed way better. And it too is also made in the US in Colorado.

i need for three bikes. But i will say you analysis is correct but I don’t need all the extra stuff. No fat tire anything. No wheel locks are needed unless you have short wheel base bikes. I will probably get the ez pull that should be in design. And I would never buy either brands locks. 1up has a proprietary hex key that would be more difficult to defeat and never but a mass produced lock from the mfg. they are known to be decoys at best.

youtube lock picking lawyer and you will find most commercial locks are just crap. I would go alternate route for either rack.

so 1up is about 850 ish for three bike set up. Quikr is about 1400 for three bikes and still waiting at least 6 months, moving it off the list.

it looks like a fantastic rack but for that price its just out of reach.
Old 03-08-22, 09:40 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Total = $959

Total = $1100

I guess if I wantes all that stuff then I might be more interested. But I have not needed (or wanted) any of those locks (I use hardened chain), and most people don’t need a fat bike spacer kit. And with 1 or 2 trays the lowering mech is not a problem (for me at least, though I can see it could be an issue for some).

The only thing that the Quikr has that would make a real difference to ME is the tool-less adjustment of the crossbars, and that they are fat compatible to start with. But these are two things that actually won’t make a difference for most people.

I would wait to see what the longer term reports are on these before dropping that much money. The design of these is far more mechanically complex than the 1UP… or any rack
I can think of.

I would also want to see that this company actually stays afloat for a few years. The launch of this rack was a long drawn out process that was painful to watch. And I am not so sure how much of a market there is for a rack that expensive.

I’ll be interested to see how these are doing in a few years
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-08-22, 11:54 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts

Looks very nice but boy are all these racks pricey. $1,000 for two bikes. The e-bike ramps looks nice, too.
Likes For kahn:
Old 03-09-22, 06:45 AM
gpburdell

Quickr works with everything from Road bike, to mountain bike to fat bike. If you want to put a fat bike on the 1up you have to purchase the spacer kit.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/fat-tire-spacer-kit/

If you purchase the Heavy Duty Rack (which I have) the tilt feature is a PIA. But if you want easy tilt you have to purchase the EZ Pull

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/ez-pull/

You can't use a standard off the shelf hitch pin that fits in all receivers...You have to buy theirs..

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/1-4-...placement-pin/

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/1-4-turn-coupler-lock/

Their anti-wobble mechanism also requires a special allen wrench tool. It's not integrated like QuickrR which requires no special tools.

I purchased the hitch pin lock and two wheel locks when I bought the rack. After that I decided I wanted a couple more wheel locks and fat bike wheel locks. When I asked for keyed alike to match my current ones they told me they couldn't do it. Quickr will match after the fact.

The same lock & key is used to lock the rack into the hitch, the Add-ons together, and the ramp accessory to the Add-ons. If you wish to purchase an additional Add-on later down the road, we can look up what variation of lock you have and match it.

https://quikrstuff.com/the-quikrstuf...k-and-add-ons/
I appreciate the detail, and I imagine sdmc530 does as well. Much of this is a matter of individual needs (i.e. fatbike capability which I never see needing) or individual preferences (I see the use of the tamper-resistant hex bolt as a positive over using something anyone can walk up and turn, and I've not found the tilt-down part to be a pain) so it's good to mention but the applicability will vary by individual. I do encourage folks to think through the locks they want and buy them all with the initial purchase.

One point of information - 1UP includes the hitch bar lock with their 2" receiver racks. Perhaps they didn't when you bought yours, but they do so now.

Last edited by gpburdell; 03-09-22 at 07:01 AM.
Likes For gpburdell:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.