Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Ebay GPS? A Positive Experience?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22, 09:19 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts

I'm considering a GPS unit. Likely an Etrex 30x. They seem pretty robust as is my current InReach SE+ so I am wondering if I should worry (much) about buying a previously owned unit.
Old 04-01-22, 09:47 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
There's some risk but I'd hope that it wouldn't be worth the seller's time to sell something that doesn't work.

I bought a Edge 800, which was fine. I sold another unit (and it was fine too).
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-01-22, 11:54 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
I don't know much about the etrex 30 - seems like a hiking focused unit rather than a cycling focused one - but general advice is if the device is sold for different regions around the world, be sure you get the one appropriate for your location so you have the correct maps.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 04-01-22, 12:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I haven't bought a used GPS, but for the Garmin GPS's sold as used on eBay, I wouldn't have an issue if the seller is asking reasonable price and seems honest. While an Etrex can be used on a bike, why not get something made for cycling like one of the Garmin Edge's? Unless it is your intention to use this for hiking and other outdoor stuff more so than cycling.

Last I looked, and it was quite a while ago, I could get Edge 500's for less than 50 bucks on eBay. And if they came DOA, I wouldn't be too concerned about a seller that might have been a little shady about the condition of the unit.

I too wouldn't buy a unit that was made for a different region. Get one that already has the maps you want if you need mapping & navigation.

Edit.... just remembered, actually I did buy a used GPS from eBay. It was a Garmin GPSmap182 chart plotter for my sailboat. It worked quite well for years as a second unit we kept down in the cabin by the chart table.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-01-22 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-01-22, 12:53 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
I don't know much about the etrex 30 - seems like a hiking focused unit rather than a cycling focused one - but general advice is if the device is sold for different regions around the world, be sure you get the one appropriate for your location so you have the correct maps.
I don't think the hiking units are region locked.
Old 04-01-22, 01:32 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
I don't think the hiking units are region locked.
I honestly don't know one way or the other, and am not sufficiently interested to research the matter. Just putting it out as something the OP might wish to check.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 04-01-22, 03:17 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Good to know about possible regional map issues.
I'm focused on the Etrex to do a Brevet series leading to a possible 1200k because long lasting and available AA batteries are attractive and 'm not currently interested in the cycling specific functions of the edge series. I could also take the Etrex backpacking but my wife likes me to have the InReach with me and I probably would not carry both.
Old 04-01-22, 03:30 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
I have an eTrex 20x and use it for brevets. My experience is they are pretty rugged, and age well. I've seen one where the joystick rubber was worn out, which would affect water tightness. Mine is fine.

People move on from these because they don't have cool stuff like effective turn-by-turn or touchscreen, and the display is not super bright. So it's not surprising that a perfectly functional unit would be sold on ebay.
Likes For downtube42: