Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What would you do about this fiasco?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What would you do about this fiasco?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-22, 10:36 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Not sure what you're looking for here? You missed the opportunity to set things straight with the BF by not inspecting the stuff on its return. Later on when you discovered the damage, she made a good faith effort to settle things. You chose not to accept that offer for the reasons stated.

Seems like the matter is settled.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 04-28-22, 10:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
As long as she doesn’t say anything at club events that puts you in a bad light, I would pretend it didn’t even happen.

I would guess that coming out of a cult situation, with no money, and easy prey to fall into another manipulative situation, shifters might be least of her worries; and definitely not something for you to lose sleep over.

I’d forget about the ghosting also. You don’t know what is going on in her current relationship.

John
This
Old 04-28-22, 10:55 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
Not sure what you're looking for here? You missed the opportunity to set things straight with the BF by not inspecting the stuff on its return. Later on when you discovered the damage, she made a good faith effort to settle things. You chose not to accept that offer for the reasons stated.

Seems like the matter is settled.
What I was looking for was other perspectives. And, that's what I'm getting. So, thank you all. But, just to be clear. When I picked up the shifters from I went straight to the LBS which is literally 12 mi. from her house (where I picked up the shifters) on the same road. It was the LBS that said it appeared to be an installation screw up. I understand that none of us actually saw it happen. OTOH you can't snap a lever unless that lever is secured by one end to something.

Last edited by bruce19; 04-28-22 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-28-22, 11:06 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
***stuff about some shifters that got broken somewhere along the line***

She offered to give me the $100 back. I declined.
...is the end of the story, IMO.
Old 04-28-22, 11:18 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
@bruce19 : It seems like you really are trying to help this person, and you are shrugging off the broken shifter. I totally understand, and appreciate that you are ready to let it go. As I've gotten older and a bit more affluent, I try to help out newer riders in the same way that people once helped me, and I expect nothing in return. Life is too short to get worked up over such things.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-28-22, 11:23 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
They are easily $200+ "parts" that would have been useful to somebody.

It's a waste due to somebody's carelessness.
Soo much of life is a waste. At least op tried to help somebody.
Old 04-28-22, 11:30 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I wonder if they were parts swappers? Are the shifters the exact same ones you sold them? In the radio hobby world some times "parts swappers" with a broken radio will buy a similar radio from someone online, swap out the bad part with the good part from the new radio, then contact the seller and claim the radio didn't work upon arrival and demand a refund. They get the refund, send the now-broken radio back to the seller and use their repaired radio. I was wondering if maybe these two hatched a scheme to swap out their broken parts with good parts, but it would take some knowing about bicycle parts and getting the exact same parts they wanted to swap.

Still, claiming "these parts don't work" and then giving them back to the OP in broken condition ought to negate getting their money back.
>>> the text book E BAY buy & refund switch ................................................as for the OP, anyone who waste a second thought on stuff like this needs a Xanax refill
Old 04-28-22, 11:39 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Personally, I think the poster handled the situation in a fine manner. I think it likely that the woman knew what happened, she should have owned up to it, but letting her slide on the dollars was a needed kind act. My only criticism is the post shows the OP is not over it. Let it go.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 04-28-22, 11:43 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
If learning the limits of a friend's integrity only costs you an old shifter that was collecting dust, I'd say you got off pretty cheap.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-28-22, 12:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
For some reason, taking the $100 didn't seem right to you so you didn't take it. Second-guessing that is going to make you feel bad. Let it go and if you sell something to her again, as is, no refunds. I doubt that'll come up, she's likely either too embarrassed (BF did it) or guilty (she did it) about it to ask you again.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-22, 12:52 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Personally, I think the poster handled the situation in a fine manner. I think it likely that the woman knew what happened, she should have owned up to it, but letting her slide on the dollars was a needed kind act. My only criticism is the post shows the OP is not over it. Let it go.
I am over it to the point of feeling there is anything more to do. I just thought it was an interesting situation and was wondering how others viewed it and/or would have reacted. Just wondering if there was a perspective I hadn't considered.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-28-22, 12:54 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by livedarklions
For some reason, taking the $100 didn't seem right to you so you didn't take it. Second-guessing that is going to make you feel bad. Let it go and if you sell something to her again, as is, no refunds. I doubt that'll come up, she's likely either too embarrassed (BF did it) or guilty (she did it) about it to ask you again.
Just to be clear, I am not second guessing my decision.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-28-22, 12:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Just wondering if there was a perspective I hadn't considered.
Is their something that you took away from it? I'm only curious, & understand if you wish to not elaborate on it.
Old 04-28-22, 01:34 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
someone when people get in awkward social situations they become avoidant and just ignore the issue. It sounds like she knows she’s in the wrong and probably feels bad about “ghosting” but doesn’t know what to say. She already offered to give back the $100
it’s sad to lose someone you’ve known for 10 years over $100 and perceived dishonesty. Just offering that opinion OP.
Old 04-28-22, 01:40 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Soo much of life is a waste. At least op tried to help somebody.
You were kind of dismissive. It wasn't just "parts in a bin". It was (somewhat) valuable parts. It's reasonable not to be happy about the waste.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-28-22 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-28-22, 01:47 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You were kind of dismissive. It wasn't just "parts in a bin". It was (somewhat) valuable parts. It's reasonable not to be happy about the waste.
Op denied the return of the $100. Seems he was dismissive of the perceived value.
Old 04-28-22, 01:53 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Op denied the return of the $100. Seems he was dismissive of the perceived value.
Not likely. Keep in mind that he took the $100 with the idea of being generous/charitable. He would have done that if he thought the were worth $100 or less.

He (as you noted) was being charitable. Asking for the going price (or taking the $100 back) would not have been charitable.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-28-22 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-28-22, 04:33 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
The last time I sold indexed shifters I demonstrated to the purchaser that they did indeed function properly. I did this by leaving a shift cable in the shifter and applying gentle tension to the cable and had the the purchaser shift through every gear, f and r.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-28-22, 07:29 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
my view
so you've already taken this to full term - but here's a scenario I haven't seem mentioned yet.
You had 'exactly' the shifter she needed... are you sure you received YOUR Shifter back, broken? Or did you get her original shifter (the one she broke) and she now has an operational (your) shifter?
I'd be curious...
You've 'Known of' her for over 10 years; which doesn't necessarily mean 'You Know Her'...
I certainly don't ... but many of us have gone thru the 'friend/acquaintance' thing where you/me/anyone becomes a 'convenience' and a 'source' of something - not necessarily a real friend.- and in fact becomes 'used'.
In any case, moving on a good thing. The best thing, because the poison in a situation only lasts and affects, if you allow it to remain.
You obviously have some level of 'feeling' for the woman (not meaning that in any way other than association). You're certain you gave her good merchandise, she would know that from your history together - that didn;t stop her from impairing that.
I always 'move on' and place my attention to more positive things/situations/relationships - the 'friend' pool becomes well defined and very solid. The other kind just creates ongoing turbulence and and unfulfillment. My guess is once she realizes that you've moved on from her, she'll be 'gone' also, very quickly. Once discovered, a user rarely hangs around...
Not saying she's 'bad', but people who are always struggling are also having to be 'users' whenever they possibly can - it becomes SOP...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 04-28-22, 07:46 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
To the OP, my best advice is to stop all conversation and contact with this woman.
Old 04-28-22, 08:17 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Troul
Is their something that you took away from it? I'm only curious, & understand if you wish to not elaborate on it.
That's a perfect question. I am going to do what I think is right. And, if the response I get tells me that I am not helping or if I feel like it's a drain on my energy I will go in a different direction I don't need anything in return. But, I do want to expend my energy in productive ways. Basically it comes down to this.....I will help if I believe there is a possibility of success but you don't get to **** up my life.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-28-22, 08:36 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
If she were my friend, newly divorced and no money, I’d have given her the stuff free.

If you had not charged $100, no worries other than her new BF is a tool.
Likes For A350driver:
Old 04-28-22, 09:04 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by cyclezen
my view
so you've already taken this to full term - but here's a scenario I haven't seem mentioned yet.
You had 'exactly' the shifter she needed... are you sure you received YOUR Shifter back, broken? Or did you get her original shifter (the one she broke) and she now has an operational (your) shifter?
I'd be curious...
It was already mentioned.

Seems like a low likelihood between people that have known each other for 10 years and (apparently) are in regular contact. And with someone who had given free stuff in the past (why kill the golden goose?). Of course, we have no idea how the new BF was involved.

She also offered to give the $100 back (which, if it had been accepted, would have meant this elaborate scheme would have had no value).
Old 04-28-22, 09:11 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
I suspect those that blame the boyfriend are correct in their assumption. If the boyfriend did in fact break the shifter and then lie about it to your friend, it speaks volumes about his character. I would suggest reconsidering future attempts to help her like you tried this time, but keep your friendship with her intact. She will need friends if she separates herself from this dude if he continues to be a bad egg.

Old 04-29-22, 05:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I am over it to the point of feeling there is anything more to do. I just thought it was an interesting situation and was wondering how others viewed it and/or would have reacted. Just wondering if there was a perspective I hadn't considered.

My perspective is that the perspective of people who don't know the people involved isn't going to tell you anything you don't already know. There's no way the bf didn't know he broke it, you're in a better position to determine whether you give her the benefit of the doubt, and I think you've already done that by refusing her payment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.