Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

brake cable alum caps with aero brake levers?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-22, 09:24 AM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts

Hey all - do you recommend putting brake cable caps at the brake lever side when cabling vintage (Dura Ace BL-7402) aero levers? Thanks!
Old 07-01-22, 09:33 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
I always do in my 7402s. This is especially important if you run compressionless housing.
Old 07-01-22, 10:19 AM
tendency

Originally Posted by smd4
I always do in my 7402s. This is especially important if you run compressionless housing.
yeah that's kinda what i figured - thanks!
Old 07-01-22, 11:35 AM
smd4

And I should say, if you do use compressionless housing, be sure to use the ferrules supplied by the housing manufacturer. Either way, I used the ferrules even when I was using the regular Dura Ace housing.
Old 07-01-22, 12:23 PM
tendency

And I should say, if you do use compressionless housing, be sure to use the ferrules supplied by the housing manufacturer. Either way, I used the ferrules even when I was using the regular Dura Ace housing.
Yes I use modern Shimano branded compressionless .. I'll make sure to use the supplied caps, but why does that matter?
Old 07-01-22, 12:56 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by tendency
Yes I use modern Shimano branded compressionless .. I'll make sure to use the supplied caps, but why does that matter?
Shimano makes compressionless brake housing? I was unaware of that.

If it's constructed like other compressionless housing, the metal wires that make up the housing run parallel along the length of the housing--not in a tight spiral as in standard housing. Braking exerts a pretty large force on the housing. A lot of this force is directed at "pushing" the housing from the ends. If you don't use the proper ferules, these wires can "squeeze out" of the housing ends, thereby destroying the housing. The compressionless housing I've seen is wrapped in Kevlar to prevent the wires from bulging out of the housing along the length.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-01-22, 01:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I would not make a blanket claim about casing ferules and all Shimano brake systems. While, IIRC, the non aero systems do usually want a casing ferule at each end many of the aero cable routed versions don't want a ferule fir the casing as it enters the lever body and some adjuster barrels too. My general rule is if there's enough casing fit space use a ferule and if not don't. Andy
Old 07-01-22, 02:01 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
While, IIRC, the non aero systems do usually want a casing ferule at each end many of the aero cable routed versions don't want a ferule fir the casing as it enters the lever body and some adjuster barrels too.
Good point. I didn't use ferrules at the caliper end with regular housing. When I went to compressionless, I had to use the supplied ferrules at both ends. The ferruled end didn't fit into the DA 7700 cable adjuster, so I had to swap them out for DA 7400 adjusters.
Old 07-01-22, 02:51 PM
tendency

Shimano makes compressionless brake housing? I was unaware of that.

If it's constructed like other compressionless housing, the metal wires that make up the housing run parallel along the length of the housing--not in a tight spiral as in standard housing. Braking exerts a pretty large force on the housing. A lot of this force is directed at "pushing" the housing from the ends. If you don't use the proper ferules, these wires can "squeeze out" of the housing ends, thereby destroying the housing. The compressionless housing I've seen is wrapped in Kevlar to prevent the wires from bulging out of the housing along the length.
Hmmm, well, the vendor I purchased it from says it is compressionless however according to Shimano's site it looks like some sort of proprietary construct as it doesnt look like compression housing but not exactly like the compressionless ones I've seen.
Old 07-01-22, 02:52 PM
tendency

I would not make a blanket claim about casing ferules and all Shimano brake systems. While, IIRC, the non aero systems do usually want a casing ferule at each end many of the aero cable routed versions don't want a ferule fir the casing as it enters the lever body and some adjuster barrels too. My general rule is if there's enough casing fit space use a ferule and if not don't. Andy
Thanks for input - there's enough room in there for me to comfortably fit a cap so I'll just the Shimano ones. Interesting, in the Shimano kit they only include two so I'm assuming they're for the brake lever side and not the caliper?
Old 07-01-22, 06:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
Hmmm, well, the vendor I purchased it from says it is compressionless however according to Shimano's site it looks like some sort of proprietary construct as it doesnt look like compression housing but not exactly like the compressionless ones I've seen.
IIRC Shimano, at least at one time, called their brake casing compressionless because it used a spiral with a rectangular cross section, the flat sides will better support the compressive forces that a spiral made from oval or round section. Andy
Old 07-01-22, 06:34 PM
smd4

IIRC Shimano, at least at one time, called their brake casing compressionless because it used a spiral with a rectangular cross section, the flat sides will better support the compressive forces that a spiral made from oval or round section. Andy
I went to the Shimano website and under “cables” there’s a graphic showing a cutaway of a cable and housing. It *looks* like modern compressionless housing, but I could find no references to Shimano compressionless housing in any Google searches.